Unleavened pastry has long been recognized by all experts as the safest and easiest, both in terms of health and for reasons of preserving the figure. However, there are a number of dishes that are very difficult to imagine cooked without yeast. For example, bread. What, then, to start the dough for him, and what will be the key to the pomp of his crumb? Is it possible to bake bread in the oven without yeast?
How to bake bread without yeast at home in the oven?
Fresh dough without any loosening ingredient is most often obtained after baking very heavy, moist, and very few people like this bread, loaf or bun. At the same time, the harm of yeast has been talked about for a long time, and even if these statements of experts can be questioned, one should not forget about the fermentation processes that this element causes. As a result, it is not uncommon to eat large quantities of yeast baking in the gastrointestinal tract. And it is not stored as long as we would like. Because of these unpleasant moments, most of the housewives have already switched to yeast-free pastries, and if before they were buns and pies, today even a bread dough can be kneaded without yeast. However, he still needs a certain starter.
There are quite a few ferment options for bread dough, but the most commonly used are 2: this is any fermented milk product (kefir, ryazhenka) or rye sourdough. The latter method takes 4 days, during which the leaven will infuse before the dough is kneaded. Work with kefir is much faster, so bread is baked on it when it is needed as soon as possible. As for the taste, everything is individually. And from the point of view of the effect on digestion, rye sourdough will still act almost the same as yeast, contributing to the fermentation processes in the intestine. Therefore, home-baked kefir bread has the greatest safety.
- Kefir or sour milk - 200 ml
- Wheat flour - 220 g
- Oat or Wheat Bran - 70 g
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp. l
- Soda - 2/3 tsp.
- Salt - Pinch
- Cumin - to taste
- Combine flour with cumin, salt and bran, gradually add kefir here, at the same time mixing all the ingredients. The more cautious you act, the more homogeneous the mass will be. It is not recommended to beat such dough, therefore it is important to prevent all possible lumps from the very beginning.
- Olive oil and soda are added last to the dough - it is better to pour it when the oven is already heated to 200 degrees. If you let the dough stand with the soda already in it for 10-15 minutes, the likelihood that looseness and fluffiness are lost increases. You do not need to extinguish soda: kefir or sour milk will do it.
- At this temperature, the dough, poured into a cast-iron mold, covered with foil, will be in the oven for 30 minutes, after which the foil must be removed and the crust should be allowed to form. This may take another 10-15 minutes. The baking readiness is checked with a wooden stick stuck exactly in the middle: if it stays dry, the product can be removed. It is immediately removed from the form and put under a towel to rest.
- This recipe for homemade unleavened bread in the oven is the simplest, but by no means the only. Its main attraction is the speed of kneading dough and baking the product itself. If desired, you can take rye bran, and sprinkle the surface with pumpkin or sunflower seeds, or add seaweed, green onions and other ingredients to the dough. The very same form with bread in the oven is recommended to put on the lower level, so as not to provoke excessively rapid formation of the crust in the middle of the unbaked.
Unleavened rye flour
A longer way to cook homemade bread in the oven allows you to taste the taste from childhood: according to a similar recipe, mothers and grandmothers baked, however, in a Russian stove. And yet, of all the currently existing technologies, the one that involves the creation of rye sourdough in 4 days is the closest to the old standards. The attractiveness of sourdough bread in its long-term storage - there will be no penicillin controversy in it, but it may become stale. In addition, unlike working with yeast dough, with leaven and dough on it is very difficult to make a mistake in something. Therefore, this option is ideal for those who bake bread for the first time. If you wish, you can completely abandon the wheat flour when mixing the dough, choosing wholegrain or just limited to rye flour. In any case, the creation of a leaven of 2 components is the first priority.
- Rye flour - 300 g
- Warm water or serum - 300 ml
- The components in half volume (150 g each) are combined in a glass bowl, and the liquid is introduced smoothly into the flour. The mass after kneading should be quite liquid, like on pancakes, and without any lumps. The bowl should be covered with a towel and put away in any warm place devoid of drafts: ideally place it with the battery turned on. If this is not possible, place in a slightly heated (25-30 degrees) oven.
- Sour the mixture will be the 2nd day: at the end of the 48th hour you need to add to it the same amount of flour and water (or whey), from which the starter mix was mixed. And again, the bowl under the towel is retracted into heat, but already for 24 hours. On the 4th day, the leaven is considered finished if its surface has become bubbles.
- In the future, you need to store the leaven in the refrigerator, if you still need it within 7 days. If not, count in advance the amount of flour and water so that you do not have to dispose of the excess. For a large loaf of bread, 200 ml of ferment is sufficient. The share of the remaining components is calculated based on the volume of the starter: exactly the same amount of water is taken, flour is determined by eye.
- Sourdough rye - 200 ml
- Warm water - 200 ml
- Sugar, salt - on a pinch
- Rye flour - 500 g
- All ingredients are combined in a glass bowl, kneaded with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula. The dough should turn out soft, sticky to the walls, but still keep the shape. If necessary, add a little more flour or oatmeal: this will only add some raisin to the bread.
- The bowl is covered with a towel and cleaned in a warm place for 5-6 hours, after which the dough should be kneaded and put into a pre-prepared (oiled) form with thick walls. Or lay a baking sheet with parchment and put the bread on it, but then in the process of baking, he will take the shape of a not too fluffy cake.
- On the surface of the bread you need to make a few shallow cuts, sprinkle it with coriander seeds or cumin, and then put the pan in a cold oven. As soon as it warms up to 200 degrees (180 degrees with convection), a timer is set for 1.5 hours.
- After the specified time, the loaf should be checked with a wooden stick: if it is dry, the oven turns off, but the bread remains in it for another 30-40 minutes. If wet, first the product is baked (10-15 minutes), then it also comes in the hot oven turned off.
If you are not baking traditional wheat bread, but you want to enrich it with bran, be prepared for the fact that they make the consistency a bit heavier, as a result of which it will not be so airy and tender. To maximize the level of this moment, distribute the bran and flour in the ratio of 1: 3 - then you can avoid excessive moisture of the finished bread.
Also, it is not always the power and functionality of the oven that allows you to bake bread evenly, even if it is under the foil. Lowering the temperature will not work, and raising will not. To get the same result as in the bread maker, but when using a weak oven, professionals advise to divide a large amount of dough into 2-3 pieces, depending on its quantity. Small bars bake easier and faster, due to the smaller height they are baked better. Also, it is desirable to take the form not ceramic or aluminum, but ceramic or clay. And regardless of the material, it should have thick walls.
Much depends on the flour that you use for bread: it should be well sifted and fresh. The last nuance is easy to determine for yourself: take a pinch and moisten with warm water - if the flour does not darken, it is suitable for kneading dough.
The finished loaf is removed from the oven and spread onto the grate (no wooden boards or silicone mats!) To allow the bread to flow from below. From above you need to cover it with a towel and let cool yourself. Store homemade yeast-free bread is also recommended in a towel.