Brawn today can be bought at any store. However, the declared value does not always correspond to quality. To be sure of high-quality preparation and freshness of products, you can make brawn of pork head at home, and spend the money saved on other useful things. Moreover, in this article you will find the necessary recipes with a step-by-step description of the cooking process.
Brawn - what is it and how to cook it?
Brawn or saltison is a rich cold meat dish, which in our area is traditionally prepared from pork head, hoofs, ears and tongue. A relative of the brawn is all of us favorite and familiar aspic. The main difference between these dishes is that meat slices are more prevalent in Saltisone, and jelly is quite a bit. Various spices give special appetizing to a dish: cumin, bay leaf, garlic, pepper.
In different countries and regions, there are many variations of cooking zelts, as well as names. It is believed that the dish came up with Italian chefs, and the most popular brawn acquired in Poland. In Bulgaria, it is called babe, in Germany - brawn, there are also such names as salseson and kovbyk.
In addition to the differences in the names, the brawn is different and taste. We suggest cooking saltison according to traditional Slavic recipes.
Brawn: homemade recipe
- pig's head;
- pork legs - 6 pcs .;
- 2 large carrots;
- 1 large sprig of thyme;
- 8 sage leaves;
- 4 bay leaves;
- 3 cloves of garlic;
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds;
- 2 medium sized bulbs;
- 4 things. shallots;
- 100 g of parsley.
- 3 liters of water;
- 1 kg of salt.
- The pig's head must be singed over the open fire to remove excess hair, and then wash and dry thoroughly with a towel.
- The head should be quartered, remove brains and all excess insides, cut off the ears.
- Cooking brine: 1 liter of warm water should be poured into a saucepan, add salt and stir until it is completely dissolved. Pour in the remaining water and cool.
- In a cold brine should lower the head of a pig and leave for 24 hours.
- After time, the brine must be drained.
- Pork feet must be washed and cut in half.
- Peel the carrots. Onions should be cut into quarters.
- Add to the pork head legs, pepper, salt, carrots, onions, thyme.
- Fill all the ingredients with cold water and slowly bring to a boil, removing the foam.
- Simmer for 4 hours, periodically pouring cold water as necessary, until the meat begins to lag behind the bone.
- Turn off the heat and leave to cool the meat in the broth.
- The cooled head and hooves need to be disassembled into components. Slice the meat and ears. If there is a tongue, remove the rough outer layer, slice it and add to the mixture.
- Shallots and parsley should be well washed under running water and chopped. Garlic should be peeled and passed through a press.
- Add greens to the meat and mix thoroughly.
- Strain the broth through gauze, folded in several layers.
- Cut the neck of the plastic bottle. Place a plastic wrap or plastic bag over the entire shape.
- Put the meat in a bottle and pour the desired amount of broth.
- Place in the fridge until it solidifies for 12 hours.
Pork Head Saltison at Home: Recipe
- half pig head;
- 2 pork or beef stomachs;
- 500 g pork tongue;
- 500 g pork lung;
- 500 g pork heart;
- 2 bay leaves;
- 1 tbsp. l black pepper;
- 1 large head of garlic;
- 1 PC. dry red pepper;
- 1/3 Art. rice;
- The head must be washed, thoroughly cleaned, remove excess hair.
- On a small fire, bring it to a boil, periodically removing the foam.
- Boil for 2-3 hours until the meat lags behind the bone.
- The stomachs should be thoroughly washed and cleaned, smeared with soda on both sides and left for 1-2 hours. After the time, rinse them thoroughly in cold water again.
- Put a pot of water on the fire and let it boil. Dip tongues in boiling water for 5-6 minutes. Then they need to get and pour on cold water.
- Remove the rough upper layer from the tongues and cut into small pieces together with the heart and the lungs.
- Slightly hot pepper must be fried over the open fire for flavor and chopped. Peel the garlic and pass through the press.
- The head should be disassembled into meat components.
- Add the heart, lungs, tongue, garlic, pepper and rice to the meat. Thoroughly need to mix and salt.
- The stomachs should be turned on the wrong side and loosely filled with meat content. We sew with silk thread and pierce it with a thick needle in several places.
- At the bottom of the pan, place the plate, lay out the stomachs on top and cover with the second plate.
- Fill with salted water and cook for 3-3.5 hours over low heat.
- Ready stomachs need to get, put in a bowl and put under a press for 12 hours.
You can also find recipes for making this wonderful appetizer in family cookbooks. And if in your family so far nobody has been preparing homemade saltison, then your culinary skills will be appreciated. Households are sure to ask for supplements, and the dish will become a frequent visitor to your table. Enjoy your meal!