“The kidneys are hare turned, heads of pike with garlic” - so the feast of Ivan the Terrible seemed to the Soviet spectators. But the filmmakers were right - the offal occupied the main place on the tables of the royal nobility and were considered a delicacy. And you try to find in yourself the blue blood and taste the kidney beef, the recipes of which we have already found.
Soak, pickle and salt
The main problem with beef giblets is that they all have an unpleasant and rather peculiar smell. That is why few people are so eager to acquire this valuable product. But there are four simple ways to cook kidney beef without odor:
- Soak the kidneys for some time in milk. That it has unique properties to eliminate odors from virtually any food. By the way, milk can always be replaced with water - the effect will be just as good.
- Marinate in herbs and spices. We take thyme, parsley, sprig of rosemary and sunflower oil. Carefully roll off the kidneys in this mixture and leave to marinate overnight. You will be surprised, but in the morning the smell will disappear without a trace.
- Grate with salt. This option is suitable if you fell into the hands of stale meat. To remove excess blood from offal, they are usually rubbed with coarse sea salt. However, be careful not to over-salt the dish.
- Buy the "right" kidney - the best option. Not all offal smells so unpleasant, rather, it speaks about the wrong keeping of cattle. So when you buy a kidney, first smell it.
According to the old Russian tradition
The main rule that should not be unpleasant smell, we learned. It's time to move to a new stage of development and learn how to cook beef kidneys tasty. If you wish, you can find many recipes, but for a person with a Russian soul, there is no more appetizing dish than one that is cooked in the oven.
- 1 kg of beef kidneys;
- 2 carrots;
- 1 onion;
- 1 turnip;
- 1 tbsp. l tomato paste;
- 2 cloves of garlic;
- 6 medium potatoes;
- bay leaf;
- 2 tbsp. l ghee;
- 1 tbsp. broth;
- 3 pickled cucumbers.
- First, you need to prepare the kidneys for roasting: free from film, then cut along the vessels and rinse with cool water.
- Then you need to shift the kidneys into a deep dish, pour water and leave in this state for 4-5 hours. In the process, the water must be changed several times.
- Soaked by-product is supposed to be washed again before cooking, remove fat and ducts from it. For convenience, you can cut the kidney slices.
- Then we shift the kidneys to the pot, pour it with cold water and put it on the stove.
- As soon as the water boils, and the surface of the pan is covered with a film, the broth must be drained and a new portion of liquid should be poured.
- This procedure will have to be repeated twice, and then boil the kidneys until done.
- After about 30 minutes, the kidneys will be ready: Pour the stock and rinse them again.
- Now it's time to prepare the vegetables: finely chop the onion, peeled carrots and turnips cut into small cubes.
- In a hot skillet, fry carrots with a turnip for a bit, then add onions to them and simmer vegetables until half cooked.
- In the meantime, cooled beef kidneys can be cut into slices.
- After 5 minutes, add to the pot kidney, finely chopped salted cucumber, sour cream mixed with tomato paste, bay leaf, garlic and spices.
- Remove the pan from the heat, mix all the ingredients thoroughly and transfer them to the clay pot.
- Pour broth into the pot so that the liquid completely covers the contents. We clean the dishes in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Kidneys with sour cream are almost ready!
- It remains only to shift the contents of the pot on the dish and decorate with greens.
Roast kidney with mushrooms
Most often we make simple decisions in life, because no one wants to go the hard way. The same is true in food: it is much easier to just drape offal in sour cream than to look for additional and more complex components. Have you ever wondered how to properly prepare kidney beef? Experienced chefs know that this product can add a touch of elegance and charm, for example, replace sour cream with Mascarpone cheese.
- 900 g beef kidneys;
- 300 g fresh mushrooms;
- 1 tbsp. Cheese "Mascarpone";
- 1 onion;
- 2 tbsp. chicken broth;
- 2 cloves of garlic;
- 1 tbsp. l flour.
- The kidneys soaked in advance are washed, cleaned of film, vein and vessels. Cut offal by plates or cubes.
- We shift it into a saucepan and fill it with cool drinking water so that the liquid level is 5 fingers higher than the ingredients.
- Boil the kidneys in several waters, that is, periodically replacing the broth with new water, until half ready.
- After cooking, the products are again washed in water and left in a colander to excess liquid glass.
- We spread on a hot skillet peeled and sliced mushrooms. Add to them a few finely chopped garlic cloves, onions and spices.
- As soon as all the liquid is evaporated from the mushrooms, add the flour and "Mascarpone" to the pan. Thoroughly mix all the ingredients until smooth.
- Then we spread boiled buds to the mushrooms, pour all the broth, add a little greens and cook until the sauce thickens for about 5-7 minutes.
- We shift the ready buds on a plate and serve to the table, preferably with a side dish of young boiled potatoes.
For quite a long time, beef kidneys were unfairly considered to be an indistinct product of dubious origin. Today, many were convinced that cooking them properly is not such a difficult task. From the kidneys will be quite elegant and unusual dinner. Cook with pleasure and enjoy your meal!