Poultry and livestock by-products are less popular than the main parts: chest, hip, back, etc. However, they are no less useful, especially in terms of the iron content required by the circulatory system. In addition, they are often less calories, therefore, recommended for diet. Beef heart - a good option for salads, first courses and casseroles.
How to prepare him for work and what can you think of in a hurry?
How to prepare beef heart for use in salads?
The main difficulty in working with this by-product is a multi-stage preparation process. Professionals are advised to boil beef heart in 2-3 approaches in order to remove dirt and harmful components from it as much as possible, and also to make it very tender: after all, in comparison with calf it is quite tough.
- Fill the beef heart with cold water and leave for 3-4 hours. After that, change the water and leave it again, but for 1.5-2 hours.
- Rinse the by-product, leave it on a paper towel until the water boils in a large saucepan. As soon as the water (already with the heart in it) comes to a boil again, drain it and fill the pan with a new portion of water.
- After a new boil, boil the beef heart for 3-4 hours on medium power under the lid, periodically removing the foam that appears from the surface.
As for salt, it is usually added in 45-60 minutes. until the end of cooking, however, in the case of a beef heart prepared for a salad, you can not do this at all if it is subsequently filled with sauce or marinade.
Classic beef heart salad: recipe with photos
The beef heart itself is a very satisfying product, therefore it does not require the addition of heavy ingredients. The simplest combination involves the presence of onions and butter (or mayonnaise) for refueling. This is something you can whip up for a hearty dinner or for the arrival of guests. But if there is an opportunity to conjure a little in the kitchen, add spicy carrots, spices, chicken eggs: a no less traditional, but tasty set.
- Beef hearts - 500 g
- Raw carrots - 2 pcs.
- Bulb onion - 1 pc.
- Chicken eggs - 2 pcs.
- Mayonnaise - 2 tbsp.
- Olive oil - for passaging
- Ground black pepper - 1 tsp.
- Salt, sugar - to taste
- Apple vinegar - 1 tbsp.
- Pre-boiled beef hearts should be divided into large pieces and cut into strips 4-5 cm long. It is desirable to adhere to these sizes for all ingredients that salad looked integral.
- Cut the carrots in half in half, then make a longitudinal cut and also crumble with not too long straws. Move it to a deep bowl, sprinkle with ground pepper and sprinkle with vinegar, leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Shred the bulb into thin half-rings; in a large frying pan, heat the olive oil, pour the onions in there. Pass it for 2-3 minutes. So that it becomes transparent and acquires a golden hue.
- When the onions are finished, add the carrot straw to it, mix the ingredients and cover with a lid. On medium power, sweat them for 5-7 minutes so that they do not have time to become too soft.
- Boil the hard boiled eggs, let them cool and also cut them into strips. Combine all the ingredients in a large salad bowl, add salt and, if necessary, add sugar. Season with mayonnaise, mix and let stand for 15-20 minutes. for full impregnation.
Serve this salad is recommended with fresh herbs or crushed walnuts.
Salad of offal with pickled onions and olives
If you are cooking this recipe for a festive table, use the advice of professionals and do not mix all the ingredients in a common bowl: lay them in layers in the form of a heart on a flat dish covered with lettuce leaves. Just do not forget to coat each layer (including the top one) with sour cream.
- Beef hearts - 400 g
- Bulb onion - 1 pc.
- Green olives without stones - 250 g
- Large fleshy tomatoes - 2 pcs.
- Parsley - bunch
- Sheet lettuce - bunch
- Sour cream - 2 tbsp.
- Medium hard cheese - 100 g
- Apple vinegar - 2 tbsp.
- Sugar - 1 tbsp.
- Spices - to taste
- First you need to work with the onion: clean it and cut it into half rings, put in water (200 ml), add salt and sugar, bring to a boil. After that, immediately turn off the burner, but do not remove the container from the fire (for owners of gas stoves, reduce the heat to minimum), add apple vinegar and cover with a lid. Estimated pickling time: 25-30 min.
- While the onion is marinating, take care of the hearts: clean them from films, rinse, dry with paper towels, cut into small cubes (approximately 2 * 2 cm). Wash tomatoes and scald with boiling water, then strip the skin and chop. Olives can be cut in half, and can be left in its original form. Tear off a bunch of parsley.
- Cover a large flat dish around the circle with leafy lettuce. In a separate bowl, combine the pickled onions, beef hearts, olives, tomatoes and parsley. Season with sour cream and grated cheese, spice it with spices, mix, put on a prepared flat dish.
This salad does not require supplements, but you can make a side dish with it in the form of a mixture of brown, golden and wild rice, boiled with a small amount of saffron or dried garlic.
Dietary appetizer with pickled cucumber
The attractiveness of this recipe is that it is great for those who watch their figure and try to avoid excess fat, even in the form of salad dressing. The most "high-calorie" ingredient here is beef heart, and it is also the most satisfying. The remaining components only shade its taste and bring notes of freshness. If desired, pickled cucumber can be replaced with fresh.
- Beef hearts - 600 g
- Pickled cucumbers - 5 pcs.
- Dill - bunch
- Green onion feather - tuft
- Soy sauce - 2 tbsp.
- Bulgarian red pepper - 1 pc.
- Combine soy sauce and chopped dill in a bowl, and place half of the beef heart that has been stripped of straws and cut into straws. Leave on for 15–20 minutes to soak in the sauce.
- Separately chop the onion feather, shake pepper and cucumber lengthwise into strips, cut the remainder of beef hearts with thin strips.
- Combine all the ingredients in a salad bowl, mix.
Such a salad can be a great addition to any side dish. And if you want to make it an independent dish, add 200 g of white cabbage stew to the specified amount of ingredients - this will increase its nutritional value.
Spicy Ginger & Sesame Salad
Such recipes are characteristic of the cuisine of eastern countries and often complement simple side dishes like celery or rice noodles, since the brightest taste spot is the salad.
- Boiled beef hearts - 300 g
- Canned ginger - 100 g
- Large fresh cucumber - 1 pc.
- Carrots - 1 pc.
- Sweet pepper - 1 pc.
- Sesame seed - 1 tbsp.
- Greens, spices - to taste
- Apple vinegar - 1 tsp.
- Soy sauce - 1 tbsp.
- Boiled beef heart cut into thick slices, spread on a wire rack and bake in a hot (200 degrees) oven for 5-7 minutes.
- While this is happening, mix vinegar and soy sauce in a small cup, add any spices. Chop carrots and bell peppers into thin and long straws, disassemble ginger into plates, if necessary, turn them into strips. Cucumber, remove the core of the seeds, cut into slices and break in half.
- Combine beef hearts, carrots, peppers, and cucumbers in a salad bowl, and place them in portions. On top, add chopped greens, fluff with a fork, mixing the ingredients slightly. Sprinkle with dressing and garnish with sesame.
In conclusion, it should be noted that the correct choice of beef heart and its subsequent preparation is the main success factor of the future salad. Make sure that the by-product does not have a gray blot and stains that indicate rotting. The correct healthy color is dark red. A boiling of the beef heart, even during the subsequent roasting or roasting, should take place in at least 2 waters.