Basturma is an incredibly tasty, tender, jerky, moderately spicy and slightly salty. A fragrant basturma, which can be easily prepared by yourself, will be an excellent snack, ideal for almost any occasion, including a festive buffet.
This dish is one of the national Turkish, Central Asian and Caucasian cuisines. Of course, today you can find a real basturma in stores, but it will not be cheap at all. Due to the variety of recipes, you can choose for yourself a more suitable one, and prepare such a snack yourself at home.
How to cook the original basturma?
- Salt - 4 tbsp. l
- Hot chili pepper to taste
- Coriander to taste
- Turmeric - to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Lean pork tenderloin - 1 kg
- First, we make brine - in a liter of simple water we dissolve salt.
- We clean the pork films, remove all fatty layers.
- The finished brine is poured into a glass container and we drop the prepared meat into it, cover it with a lid (if there is no lid, then you can stretch the cling film from above).
- Put the meat directly in the brine in the fridge (in the winter you can put it in the cellar) and leave it for 2 days.
- After the specified time, we get the meat from the brine and rub it with spices from all sides.
- Now the meat is wrapped in a simple clean gauze, hung out in a well-ventilated room, leave for 2-4 days.
- You need to check the time of drying yourself - for example, if you prefer a soft basturma, then after 2 days you can take the first sample. And for those who love the most real well-dried meat, you should wait about 5 days.
- Salt - to taste
- Red hot pepper - to taste
- Crushed garlic cloves - 6-9 pcs.
- Cumin ground - 2.5-3 tbsp. spoons
- Duck breast - 550-700 g
- We are engaged in the preparation of duck breasts - gently remove all the skin, also remove grease and films.
- Thoroughly wash the meat with cold running water, then shift it to a dish covered with a paper towel that will absorb all the excess water.
- Then we shift the breasts in a deep bowl and pour so much salt on top so that it completely covers all the meat.
- Capacity with breasts for 3 days left in the refrigerator and do not remove the salt.
- After this time, we get the breasts out of the refrigerator, and rinse well, all the necessary salt is already absorbed, and the excess must be removed.
- Breasts are transferred to a deep container, filled with running cold water and left for a couple of hours.
- At this time, separately clean and chop the garlic cloves (preferably rubbed on a fine grater). Then add ground black and red pepper to garlic, cumin - all mix well.
- Pour some water (boiled) and mix it to the mixture - you should get a mass of homogeneous consistency, which resembles not very thick sour cream.
- Pour the meat with the spice paste and knead well.
- We close the container with the breasts with a lid and refrigerate for 1 day.
- After a day, the meat is wrapped in a clean linen cloth (each breast is separate) and hung out in a well-ventilated room (for example, the balcony is perfect).
Delicate beef basturma
To cook the most tender beef basturma, you should use the following recipe.
- Garlic - to taste
- Cumin - to taste
- Chilli pepper - to taste
- Salt - to taste
- Beef tenderloin - 1-1.5 kg
- Carefully wash the beef tenderloin with cold water, then lay it out on a dish covered with paper towel so that all excess water is gone.
- It is necessary to take into account the fact that it is impossible to use very thin meat to make real basturma, otherwise the snack will be tough.
- As soon as all the excess water is gone, the meat from all sides is rolled in salt, then left for about 15 minutes. The required amount of salt is absorbed by this time, and the rest is carefully cleaned.
- In a sufficiently deep capacity we shift the meat, and put the load on top of it. For 1 day we put the meat in the fridge.
- After a specified period of time we remove the cargo from the meat, then wrap it in a piece of clean gauze and hang it in a well-ventilated room. In this position, the meat should be about 4-5 days.
- Practically before the very completion of the preparation, we place the garlic, red pepper and cumin seeds in the bowl of the blender. All seasonings you can take on your own taste. The most important thing is that the amount of spices is enough for the whole piece of meat.
- In a blender, grind all the ingredients. Remove the basturma, remove the gauze, we no longer need it. Meat from all sides thoroughly crumb in spices and wipe with hands, so that they are better absorbed.
- Now the basturma is wrapped in foil and left for 4 days at room temperature so that it becomes saturated.
Dried chicken breasts
For the preparation of basturma, you can use almost any meat, including chicken.
- Red pepper - to taste
- Ground paprika - 0.5-1 tbsp. l
- Coriander - 1.75-2 tsp.
- Sugar - 2.75-3 Art. l
- Salt - 2.75-3 Art. l
- Chicken fillet - 0.5 kg
- First, take the fillet pieces and rinse well with cold water, then clean off all films and excess fat.
- Put the meat on a dish covered with a paper towel or napkins so that they absorb all the excess water.
- We take a small deep bowl and prepare the mixture for salting the meat - mix sugar and salt (brown sugar is recommended for this dish, but white is also suitable).
- Next, rub the mixture with all the pieces of meat, then transfer it to a deep container, put a press on top and put it in the refrigerator for several days (at least 3 days).
- After the specified time from the refrigerator we get the meat - it should acquire a more dense texture.
- Now we clean the salted fillet of excess spices and wrap tightly in gauze, pre-folded in 3 layers. Then the meat is laid under pressure and leave for a day.
- In a separate container, mix all the spices and dilute with a small amount of water (should make a pasty mass). Now the most important thing is to accurately determine the consistency of the mixture for coating meat - it should also be well enveloped at the same time and look like not very fat sour cream.
- Then we take the meat and rewind it tightly with thread (if you wish, you can skip the thread through the fillet, but this procedure will take more time and patience), then hang for 3 days to dry in a well-ventilated room.
- After 3 days, the meat is again wrapped with a layer of gauze and dried for 2 weeks. After the specified time basturmagotov to use.
At home, you can make a lot of culinary delights, including basturma. To prepare the delicacy, it is recommended to take beef, but it is permissible to use any other meat. It is important to adhere to the recipe, but the spices for snacks can be chosen to your liking.