Azu is an indigenous Tatar dish consisting of roasted pieces of meat stewed with tomatoes, potatoes, onions and pickles. It is impossible to cook it from pork, as some sources of recipes suggest, since this contradicts the religious views of the Tatar people. If there is no beef on hand, you can take horse meat or lamb.
The name of the dish "azu" is interpreted differently. The word "azu" is translated from Persian, as small pieces of meat with spicy sauce. And in Tatarstan, it is believed that the name of this dish comes from their national word "azdyk", meaning food, food. However, there is another opinion about the origin of this name. Some researchers believe that “azu” is an onomatopoeic word, which is consonant with the whistle of a sharp weapon, which, in fact, cut meat. But no matter where this name comes from, the main thing is that it is a very tasty dish!
How to cook aza in Tatar?
The classic Tatar recipe for azu from beef, despite the unusual name, is not difficult to prepare, but it turns out very nourishing, fragrant and tasty!
- Beef (you can take lamb) - 700 g
- Tomato - 3-4 pcs.
- Bulb - 1-2 pcs.
- Salted cucumber - 3 pcs.
- Tomato paste - 1 tbsp.
- Potatoes - 6 pcs.
- Water or broth - 150 g
- Ground black pepper, salt, parsley, garlic, bay leaf - to taste
- Meat cut into small rectangles, and cut it better across the fibers.
- Top on the tomatoes to make a cross-cut and place them for 1 min in boiling water, then put in cold water and peel, cut into cubes.
- Cucumbers also need to grind cubes, and onions - half rings.
- Heat the frying pan with vegetable oil and fry the meat on it until golden brown. And it is necessary to put the meat in a pan in portions so that it does not have time to put the juice.
- Then transfer the meat to a cast-iron pot or cauldron, lightly salt and pepper.
- Onions, too, need to fry and add to the pan with the meat.
- Now you should pour water or broth into the pot in such a way that only cover the meat.
- Then put the tomatoes on top and put the stew on the dish for half an hour.
- After this time, add bay leaf, pickled cucumbers, tomato paste to the meat, mix everything thoroughly and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- The dish will need to taste, because if it is sour, you have to add a little sugar.
- Peel potatoes and fry until done.
- Chop the parsley, peel and chop the garlic, and then mix it all together.
- Now you need to put the potatoes on a plate, on top of it - meat with vegetables and sprinkle with a mixture of parsley and garlic.
- That's all - the dish is ready to serve!
Azu from beef in a slow cooker: a simple recipe
Azu, though originally a Tatar dish, has been cooking in Russian kitchens for more than a decade. And when cooking this dish in a slow cooker, you can save yourself from unnecessary stress and hassle!
- Beef - 500 g
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Tomato - 2 pcs.
- Carrots - 1 pc.
- Salted cucumber - 5 pcs.
- Salt, red pepper - to taste
- Wash the beef with cold water and chop finely.
- On the multicooker set the mode "Baking".
- Pour some vegetable oil into the bowl of the multicooker.
- After the oil has warmed up, you need to put the meat in the bowl. Constantly stirring, it is necessary to fry for 20 minutes.
- After that, add finely chopped onions and grated carrots to the meat. Fry it all for another 10 minutes.
- Peel tomatoes, for this they should pour boiling water. After finely chop and add to the meat with vegetables.
- Now you need to salt and pepper the mixture.
- Close the multicooker lid, after adding cucumbers to sliced thin straws.
- After cucumbers in the dish should be topped up with 50 ml and cook in the "Quenching" mode for 1.5 hours.
Azu with potatoes - a delight for gourmet
- Beef - 800 g
- Onions - 2 pcs.
- Potatoes - 6 pcs.
- Pickled cucumbers - 3 pcs.
- Tomato paste - 2 tbsp.
- Water - 1.5 Art.
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp.
- Salt, bay leaf, red pepper powder - to taste
- Beef cut into small pieces.
- Finely chop the onion and place it together with the meat and vegetable oil in the multicooker bowl. Set the "Frying" mode on the multicooker.
- After that, fry the meat with onions should be 15-20 minutes with the lid open.
- Then it is necessary to add finely chopped cucumbers to the meat, mix everything and fry for another 5 minutes, adding also tomato paste.
- After all these manipulations, the frying is over.
- Now you need to clean and chop the garlic and send in a bowl of the slow cooker.
- Then add water to the same place and set the mode “Quenching”, to prepare the dish in this mode you need 1.5-2 hours.
- Half an hour before readiness it is necessary to add chopped and fried potatoes until half cooked.
- After that, put the bay leaf, 2 minced garlic cloves, pre-peeled, and salt and pepper. Azu in Tatar in the multicooker is ready!
Cooking traditional Tatar dish without potatoes
Nowadays there are so many variations of the preparation of azu in Tatar, and the ingredients in them are also different. For example, there is a recipe for cooking azu without potatoes. The dish turns out not less tasty and nourishing, and the potatoes can be cooked as a side dish, and even simple mashed potatoes.
- Beef - 400 g
- Salted cucumber - 2 pcs.
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Beef broth or water - 300 ml
- Flour - 2-3 tbsp.
- Tomato paste - 1 tbsp.
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Salt, ground black pepper - to taste
- Vegetable oil - for frying
- Chop onions and fry in a pan with vegetable oil.
- Meat cut into small pieces, salt and pepper and fry separately from the onion.
- Add onion, broth or water, tomato paste to the finished meat, stir and simmer, stirring for 15 minutes.
- Chop cucumbers into small cubes, rub the garlic with salt and add it all to the meat.
- Now you need to add flour to the dish. To do this, pour a little broth, cool, add flour to it, and then add all this to the meat.
- After all you need to mix again and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve the dish on the table is better with a side dish!
See also:Tatar dishes: recipes
Azu in Tatar is a great hearty dish. The ingredients for its preparation are readily available and are almost always in the fridge. To further simplify your task, you can use the recipes for the multicooker.