Asafoetida is a rare spice listed in the Red Book. It owes its beautiful name to its homeland - Iran and Afghanistan. Three-meter plant can live up to 10 years, and all this time its small flowers exude a very unpleasant smell, a sort of mixture of onions and garlic, but very concentrated. The spice itself is obtained from the juice that the asafoetida roots give. As a spice, asafoetida can be dry and tar. Grains of resin, glued together with a strong smell - this is the real asafoetida, which can be added to various dishes.
Asafoetida can be added to fatty dishes: lamb, rice with vegetables, flatbread, canned food. Perfectly complements the legumes.
This amazing spice helps with flatulence, increases appetite. You can buy spice in Indian stores or search in supermarkets.
The use of asafoetida in cooking
The taste of the spices, not to mention its smell, can be appreciated only by a real hunter of strange flavors and an excellent cook. The smell of the spice stays indoors all day, and you will feel its taste for quite a long time and will not be able to interrupt it.
In order to cook with asafoetida you need to be at least a good friend of an Iranian chef. Otherwise, you risk just soak up the unpleasant smell and refuse cooked food. If you still decide to experiment, you need to know some facts about asafoetida:
- Successfully combined with turmeric, cumin, ginger, black mustard.
- Onions and garlic should not be added to the dish using asafoetida. After all, it is a substitute for these two ingredients.
- Asafoetida resin is used in very small quantities, while necessarily frying it in oil.
- Being very caustic in the air, asafoetida absolutely does not leave the smell from the mouth.
Warm Indian Salad with Asafoetida Recipe
For a novice gourmet - the culinary specialist is better to start with a tasty, but uncomplicated dish. Salad in this regard is the easiest and fastest option.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet, add half a teaspoon of mustard seeds and fry them 30 seconds before cod.
- Here comes the asafoetida. Add a little to the seeds, plus a fresh chilli without seeds, finely chopped.
- Now it's up to shredded vegetables. Put everything in a griddle: 150 grams of sweet pepper, 250 grams of papaya, the same amount of white cabbage. Immediately season them with lemon juice and a drop of ginger. Cook vegetables for 4 minutes over high heat.
- Serve the salad warm, decorated with cilantro.
- You can combine such a warm salad with lentils or brown rice.
Asafoetida. Behind this beautiful and oriental word lies a unique plant that is used more often in medicine than in cooking.
Asafoetida is treated for rabies and hormonal imbalance, earache and polyarthritis. And this is not a complete list. We are with you in order to learn more about this spice, it is better to invite her to your kitchen. And there already read the appropriate recipe and try out with the household. And they will certainly agree to try any dish that contains the mysterious asafotida.