Nowadays dental caps are becoming more and more famous. They are removable devices made of various materials covering the entire tooth surface.
The following types of caps have different functions:
- orthodontic mouth guards for leveling teeth and correcting bite;
- retention caps used after orthodontic treatment to maintain stability of the result;
- caps used to treat dysfunctions of the temporomandibular joint;
- toothbrushes used for teeth whitening;
- therapeutic and prophylactic caps used with special medicines;
- mouth guards used in bruxism (involuntary clenching of teeth at night);
- protective caps used during sports activities (for example, boxing).
Teeth alignment caps
Orthodontic caps for occlusion correction are a modern alternative to the bracket system, they are quite diverse, made of various materials and using different technologies.
The biomechanics of orthodontic cap consists in creating certain pressure points forcing the teeth to move in the right direction.
Capa must be worn at least 22 hours a day, removing only for the time of eating and brushing. This is the main feature of this method of treatment. Responsibility and discipline are required of the patient, otherwise the treatment will be ineffective.
Treatment can take from several weeks to several years, depending on the complexity of the pathology, during treatment the doctor watches the change in the position of the teeth, every 2-3 weeks (provided that the wearing regimen is observed), the cap is replaced with a new one. Additional orthodontic structures can be used in conjunction with caps to increase the effectiveness of treatment.
The main advantages of the cap to align the teeth:
- less discomfort for the patient;
- the possibility of removing the equipment if necessary;
- better oral hygiene;
- reducing the frequency of visits and the time spent in the chair at the dentist;
- safety for tooth enamel.
The main disadvantages of cap for alignment of teeth:
- the need for constant wear,
- self-control by the patient.
Capes and braces
It should be understood that the caps are not a complete replacement for the bracket system and their use depends on the severity of the pathology, the patient's discipline, his willingness to cooperate with the doctor and the desired result of treatment. Therefore, the possibility of using the cap, their number and terms of treatment are determined by the doctor in each case after consultation and diagnosis.
Katasonov S.A., orthodontist of dentistry "Doctor Lange Clinic", St. Petersburg.