Many people try to whiten their teeth in order to gain a radiant smile. A similar procedure can be done in the dental office, but it is expensive. Reliable "home" assistant in the fight for the beauty of a smile is soda. Can I use this method and how to whiten teeth with soda, so as not to spoil the enamel?
The secret of soda: what makes it a home dentist?
Not everyone nature has made a gift in the form of white teeth. Improper diet, bad habits and medication also spoil their color. In the arsenal of modern dentistry, there are many tools that help restore the whiteness of teeth. On the shelves of shops and pharmacies you can see a lot of special pastes and powders, dental clinics offer a whole range of relevant procedures. But some prefer to use the tried-and-tested "grandmother's" method - ordinary drinking soda. The fact is that this method really helps. And the cost of the "main drug" remains available for any budget.
Everyone knows that soda is an excellent disinfectant, which is used for rinsing with dental diseases and diseases of the throat. Why does it brighten tooth enamel? Sodium bicarbonate, or soda, is a weak alkaline compound. It consists of small white crystals, therefore, has abrasive properties. The smallest particles work like fine-grained sandpaper and partially remove plaque from the teeth, making them whiter.
Who is not suitable for homemade method of brightening teeth with soda?
Teeth whitening with soda is indicated for those who have developed a soft patina. Regular carrying out of such procedures (but not more than once a week) will help to lighten your teeth slightly and remove the dark patina. Why are they getting lighter? Soda simply scrubs the upper layer of enamel, exposing the lighter undersides.
But this effective budget method is not shown to everyone. The procedure can be harmful in such cases:
- in the presence of diseases of the oral cavity;
- if a person is bothered by bleeding gums;
- with periodontal disease;
- if there is caries;
- with sensitive teeth and thin enamel;
- if the enamel has a grayish tint (hypoplasia). Under the influence of soda, it will not become lighter, but it will actively collapse;
- If there are crowns, tabs on the front teeth. Artificial material does not change its color, so these teeth will stand out sharply from the rest.
If there is at least one of the listed problems, then it is better not to plan teeth brightening with soda. At a minimum, you must first consult with your doctor about the safety of using this method.
Soda as a bleaching agent: the pros and cons
The procedure of bleaching with sodium bicarbonate has a lot of fans. Among them are those who cannot afford to go to the dental clinic and people who are afraid of doctors. The main advantage of this method is safety. It is recognized to be harmless and many dentists, but provided that a person knows how to whiten teeth with soda.
What other benefits does soda have as bleach?
- This is an affordable component that can be purchased at any store.
- Home procedure will cost a penny. In dentistry (there, too, soda is one of the components used in sandblasting machines) for something like this you will have to pay a decent amount.
- Noticeable result. Teeth become lighter after one brushing.
The method is popular, but many doubt: is it possible to brush your teeth with soda? To make the right decision, you should be aware of its shortcomings:
- Soda works as an abrasive and aggressively acts on the teeth: it causes scratching and thinning of the enamel;
- the whitening result is kept for long. Under the influence of external factors, after a few days, the teeth will begin to darken again;
- excessive whitening treatments cause increased sensitivity of the teeth. If you constantly clean them with soda, the damage to the enamel can be catastrophic and irreversible;
- if the soda gets on the gums, it can lead to bleeding.
Some people are allergic to soda, causing a rash around the mouth.
How to increase the safety of the procedure?
To minimize the damage from the use of soda, you must first strengthen the teeth. To do this, the menu should include products containing fluoride and calcium: fruits, vegetables, dairy products. It is useful to take vitamins. To strengthen the enamel, you can rinse your mouth with tincture of tea tree.
You should also know how to whiten your teeth with soda at home, so that they remain healthy and strong. You can use this method no more than 1 time per week, while brushing your teeth for no longer than 2-3 minutes, avoiding contact with soda on the gums. To help recover from extreme treatment, it is good to use medicinal toothpaste.
How to make soda sols for teeth whitening?
There are several technologies of bleaching with soda in the main role.
- This method is the simplest: you can moisten the brush, put a little dry soda on it and clean it.
- Mix soda with toothpaste. This will help to “mask” the taste of soda, but will not improve the whitening effect.
- Mix 2 parts of soda with 1 part of water, make a mush and cover it with teeth for 5-10 minutes.
Some advise mixing soda with hydrogen peroxide. Such an explosive mixture in 2-3 applications will destroy almost all the enamel and spoil healthy teeth. No less aggressive effect on the teeth composition, which includes soda and citric acid. The last ingredient is able to dissolve the enamel. Teeth not only do not turn white, but also become defenseless in front of caries.
Having a white-toothed smile is nice to everyone. A simple and effective method of bleaching is the use of baking soda. But in pursuit of a radiant smile, we should not forget about health. Fanaticism in this case is unacceptable. Daily brushing your teeth with soda can lead to the destruction of enamel. Even the best dentist cannot correct such mistakes.