Braces are devices that are used to align the defects of the dentition. They are put to children aged 12 years and adults. The main disadvantages of these systems are their lack of aesthetics and the sense of discomfort that they cause a person when wearing.
Does it hurt to braces?
By itself, the procedure for installing braces is not painful. Another thing is that it is quite tedious, because it lasts about 3 hours and gives a person a lot of inconvenience.
Unpleasant sensations can appear when the device is donning an arc into the grooves of the braces elements that are attached to each tooth. Discomfort occurs due to mechanical pressure on the teeth.
Each person has his own pain threshold. Some people feel slight itching and discomfort when installing and wearing braces, etc. may feel sharp pain. Before installing the device, you need to prepare yourself for the fact that there may be unpleasant and even painful sensations.
The pain can be especially noticeable in the first 2 weeks after installation. At this time, the teeth move to the specified positions. Then there is an adaptation, and the discomfort disappears by itself. If you are afraid of pain, ask your doctor to give you an anesthetic for the first time.
It is very important that the doctor correctly calculates the pressure force of the braces. If it is weak, the system will not cause any discomfort to the patient. But the effect, as such, will not. Too much pressure will also not take proper action. In addition, in this case, the person will experience acute pain. In order not to be in a similar position, to install braces, contact only an experienced specialist.
How much should braces wear?
Every person who plans to install braces is interested in how long they need to be worn. There is no exact answer to this question, since each case is individual, and for each patient the doctor himself determines the period of wearing the system.
An important role in this is played by the degree of curvature of the dentition. The minimum time to wear braces is 6 months. Although in most cases it takes much more time-2-3 years. But the correction ends with a defect. After removing the system, it is recommended to use a removable retainer-device, which helps to consolidate the effect obtained. The duration of wearing this device is also 2-3 years.
The duration of wearing systems determines the age of the person. In children, defects are corrected faster than in adults. Consequently, they have to wear braces less.
Kind of braces also determines the timing of wearing. High-quality and effective bracket system is the modern Damon system. It is good because the term of wearing it is half that of other systems. A good result can be obtained within a year after installation! But such a system is more expensive than ordinary classic braces.
Difficult defects (for example, an open bite) should be corrected for a long time. As a rule, in such situations, a person is forced to wear braces for 3 years, and then the same fixing system.
How to remove braces: features
In order to understand how to remove the system, you need to understand how it is installed and fixed on the teeth.
- For fixing the device, specially designed fixing materials are used, which are similar in appearance to the composition for the seals. Before sticking on the bracket grooves, the teeth are thoroughly cleaned of plaque and treated with a special solution. Then the groove is installed in the right place. The fixing material freezes quite quickly — within a few seconds.
- Recently, dentists are increasingly using the composition, which hardens under the influence of light. In this case, after installing the grooves, the teeth light up with ultraviolet light.
- To remove braces, you need to separate the material from the teeth. This is done with the help of special tongs. When removing braces can be felt significant discomfort, and even pain. The fixative composition is usually removed along with the groove, but sometimes it can remain on the teeth. Its traces are polished with special burs, which are absolutely safe for tooth enamel. The grinding procedure does not hurt, but can be quite unpleasant.
- Conventional braces made of metal, which are used to align the defects of the dentition, are removed easily. Difficulties may arise when removing ceramic braces. Such systems are quite fragile, and can be chipped off and broken during removal, as a result of which they remain on the teeth along with the fixative compound. Subsequently, these parts are ground with teeth using special devices.
- After the doctor removes the system and performs grinding, the teeth are covered with a special remineralizing agent. It nourishes the teeth with minerals and restores them after wearing braces. Also, the doctor can set you retainer to consolidate the result obtained when wearing braces.
How to clean braces: tips
Cleaning your teeth with braces can be long and difficult, especially the first time after the procedure. To keep your teeth healthy, you need to follow certain rules:
- You must have a good, high-quality toothbrush. You will also need a device with a sharp end to clean the gaps between the teeth.
- Put a small amount of toothpaste on the brush and brush your teeth in a circular motion. First clean the front surface, then the back. Lastly, clean the upper chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- Mark the brush for braces, they should form an angle. After that, slowly move it up and down. Thus, you can clean the area well under the metal base of the system.
- Make circular movements with a brush, cleaning each tooth.
- After the procedure, thoroughly rinse the mouth and check the cleanliness of your teeth. If necessary, repeat the procedure.
- To clean your teeth you will need dental floss. It is best to purchase hard ones — it is easier for them to clean the brackets.
- Thread under braces and slowly move it up and down. So clean every tooth.
- For fresh breath and additional disinfection, use mouthwashes.
Braces give a person a lot of inconvenience, but sometimes this is the only chance to correct an overbite or other dentition defects. Therefore, take them not as an annoying necessity, but as the first step towards a healthy beautiful smile. It is important to learn how to properly care for the oral cavity while wearing braces, to follow all the dentist's advice on cleaning procedures.