Have you decided to give a ring to your beloved one or just to please yourself with buying one and have already decided on the choice of a precious surprise? Does it stop you only one small, but very important detail - the size of a finger? You have successfully looked to us: we are happy to tell you how to measure the size of a ring finger.
How to independently measure the size of a finger for a ring?
It is important to know the size of the finger, to avoid as a result of buying too tight a ringlet that will squeeze it. A large ring at any time can slip off the finger. It doesn't matter if you are a man or a woman, the measure that determines the size of your finger is the diameter of the inner circumference of the ring in millimeters. It's very simple: if the internal diameter is 1.8 cm or 18 mm, then the ring size is 18. In other words, the ring size corresponds to the diameter of your finger in millimeters.
Please note: not all countries use this system. For example, France, like many other European countries, uses a system where the size of the ring is equal to its circumference. Some countries have a completely different dimensional system. Refer to the equivalence table below for full details.
There are many ways to determine the size of the ring. If you want, try a few of them to make sure that in all cases the result will be the same.
Determine the diameter of the ringlet
If you already have a ring that fits your finger, and the more you wear it, use this to determine your size by following these steps:
- Step 1: Place the ring on a flat surface.
- Step 2: Measure the diameter of the inner part of the ring. To do this, measure the distance from the point on the inside left side to the point on the right inside side of the ring. Be careful: you are interested in the inner diameter, since this is the ring that touches the finger. The outer diameter of the ring is somewhat larger, and you may be mistaken with the size.
- Step 3: translate the obtained measurements into millimeters and find the size according to the table.
Measure finger girth
If you do not have a ring, you can measure the diameter of a finger. To do this, follow these steps:
- Wrap a thread that does not stretch, or a strip of paper 3-4 mm wide around the second phalanx of the finger, since this is the widest point. You should not wrap your finger too tightly or loosely in order to correctly select the desired size.
- Mark the place where the ends of the yarn or paper intersect.
- Lay the thread or paper strip on a flat surface.
- Measure the distance from the end of the thread or strip to the marking. It corresponds to the circumference of your finger or the inner diameter of the ring.
- Take the calculator and divide the resulting length in millimeters by 3.14. This will be the diameter by which you can easily determine the size of the ring using the table.
You can use a measuring tape instead of thread or paper - this will make the task a little easier.
Here are some more general guidelines for determining ring size:
- If the size you specify falls between two values, it is advisable to choose a larger one.
- Such measurements cannot give a 100% guarantee of the correctness of the size determination. The error can lead to the wrong choice, so repeat the measurement several times to minimize the error.
- Finger size varies depending on the time of day and its temperature. It is advisable to take all measurements towards the end of the day and with hot hands, because cold fingers tend to narrow.
Below are the table of sizes of rings that will help you decide and make the right decision:
- If you already know the diameter of your ring, but did not determine its size, then use this table. How to measure the diameter of the ringlet, we told above.
- If you want to determine the size of the ring in accordance with the girth of your finger, then use the data in the following table. We have already learned how to determine the girth of a finger and the length of a circle.
- The following table shows the correspondence of dimensional systems adopted in different countries. In it you will find the standard sizes of rings. It is possible that these sizes vary depending on some models of rings or even manufacturers.
How to choose a ring on "Aliexpress"?
You can choose and buy the ring in the online store "Aliexpress". To do this, use the subsection "Jewelry - Rings". Here you can find offers for every taste and quite reasonable prices. When you decide on a product and open its card, you will see information about the ring you like, including the available sizes. And here begins the difficulties and questions, since all sizes are represented in the American system.
How to determine the size of the ring in Russian "Aliexpress"? Usually the site contains a table with the conversion of sizes into other dimensional grids, but it is not always sufficiently informative and understandable. Therefore, we suggest you use the table with virtual size rings, which you can see in the photo.
And not only to see, but also to print in the appropriate scale. Then, in the printed table, carefully cut out the inner circles of the proposed rings and determine the size of your finger. By the way, below each size ring is indicated the length of its inner circumference or differently finger girth. How to determine the girth of a finger, you already know, so the holes are cut and optional. Having decided on the size, you can always use the universal table of correspondence of dimensional systems adopted in different countries.
As you can see, in determining the size of the ring is nothing complicated. And yet, in order to eliminate the mistake, after which you will have to go to the workshop to adjust the ring to fit the size, and this is not always possible, it is best to seek help from a professional jeweler.