Wishing to preserve youth and beauty, women buy expensive and advertised cosmetics, but they do not always understand what many foreign inscriptions mean in their composition. And in these inscriptions are usually hidden harmful substances that may simply be dangerous to the body. Paradox - why cosmetics, which are required in order to improve our skin and hair, on the contrary, can harm them? The fact is that these substances have a low cost and it is very profitable for manufacturers to add them to cosmetics. Harmful substances are found in shampoos, creams, shower gels, liquid soap, facial wash and even in children's cosmetics.
What harmful substances does cosmetics contain?
- Alpha hydroxide acid(Alpha Hydroxy Acid) - differently lactic acid and other certain types of acids. Initially it was thought that this is just a discovery in the field of skin care. Acids act as an exfoliating agent, after which the old cells leave and only new young cells remain on the surface. Due to this, the skin looks younger and wrinkles are smoothed. Scientists agreed with this, but also stressed that when we remove the surface layer of dead cells, we thereby deprive the skin of an important and protective layer. Therefore, negative environmental factors have a greater negative impact and penetrate deep into the skin, because of this, the skin can age ahead of time.
- Aluminum(Aluminum) can cause mental disorders, abnormalities in the brain and even sometimes causes Alzheimer's disease.
- Bentonite (Bentonite) is a natural mineral that is often added to face masks. It has a significant difference from ordinary clay, since it, when added to a liquid, becomes gel-like. The particles in bentonite are quite sharp and their edges can damage the skin. Bentonite can be found in many cosmetic preparations, and it is capable of forming a gas-tight film. When placed on the skin, toxins and carbon dioxide interfere with healthy breathing in the skin, and waste products are trapped inside. The skin literally suffers from "suffocation", the access of oxygen is greatly reduced, and bentonite contributes to dry skin.
- Animal fat(Animal Fat) - this component can be found in shampoos, it is added to thicken hair. But the same component can envelop the hair and contributes to their more rapid pollution.
- Collagen(Collagen) - Collagen is actively advertised by many cosmetic companies and they claim that collagen in creams improves the collagen structure in the skin. Others claim that collagen is able to absorb the epidermis and due to this, the skin is moisturized. Collagen consists of protein, which is the main part in the structure of our skin.
According to cosmetologists, with age, the amount of collagen decreases and because of this, the skin becomes less elastic and loses its freshness. Collagen, which is added to the cream can not penetrate the skin, since its molecules are quite large. On the contrary, it can only cause damage, accumulating in the upper layers of the skin and clogging the pores, like dense technical oil. Collagen, which is used in cosmetics, is extracted from the skin of cattle or from the paws of birds. And even if a large-sized collagen penetrates the skin, its components are very different with human collagen, and the skin will not accept it.
By the way, this can explain the effect of collagen injections, which are used in plastic cosmetology for smoothing wrinkles. Initially, the collagen enters the skin, due to which the effect of swelling may appear, but during the year the collagen is eliminated by the body due to incompatibility. Within six months, injections will be needed again to maintain the effect.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate(Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) - many manufacturers conceal the fact of the presence of this component in their products, but, nevertheless, SLS is contained in 90% of shampoos. It is considered almost the most dangerous component in cosmetics. SLS is a fairly cheap product that is often added to shower gels, shampoos, and cosmetic cleansers. This substance is extracted from coconut oil, and it has high foaming. SLS is also widely used in industry: floor cleaning products, washing machines, degreasing agents, etc. This substance is widely used for experiments, acting as a skin irritation tester.
Scientists applied the substance to the skin and animals and people to cause irritation, and then removed it with medical preparations. Recent studies have shown that SLS can penetrate the heart, eyes, liver, brain, and other vital organs. The substance is especially dangerous for children, penetrating them into tissues in larger quantities. SLS removes impurities from the oxidation reaction, after which an irritating film remains on the hair and skin. Shampoos with SLS can get breakage, dryness, cross-section at the ends, suffer from dandruff. Sometimes in the composition of the cosmetic products of the company indicate "extracted from coconuts", but this is the same SLS.
- Louret sodium sulfate(Sodium Laureth Sulfate) - similar in properties to the component with SLS, but with slightly different composition. It is considered the number one ingredient in industry and shampoos. It is also a cheap substance that gives abundant foam and gives the impression that the drug is expensive and concentrated. In fact, the substance has weak detergents.
- Glycerol(Glycerin) - in the advertisement it is called an excellent humidifier. This substance is obtained by combining fat with water. Water splits the fat into smaller compounds, which increases the transmittance of lotions and creams into the skin, as well as reduce moisture loss. But studies have shown that with low humidity, glycerin takes moisture from the inner layers of the skin, and does not take it from the air. The result is that dry skin becomes drier.
- Lanolin (Lanolin) - effective phrase "contains lanolin", in fact, nothing more than an advertising move. There is no evidence that lanolin has any particular effect on the skin, but it can be a cause of skin hypersensitivity and irritation.
- Propylene glycol(Propylene Glyco) - a substance extracted from petroleum products. In cosmetic products it is often added to creams, moisturizers, as it attracts water. The component is cheaper than glycerol, but there may be more irritation and allergic reactions. May cause acne.
- Royal jelly(Royal Bee Jelly) - this phrase can often be found in advertising, where they actively praise its moisturizing properties. Substance extracted from beehives. Honey and bee products are associated by people with health, beauty and longevity, so many companies use this name as a way to attract attention to their products. But scientists have proved that royal jelly is absolutely useless for humans.
For more information on makeup, see article What are parabens?
How to avoid the use of all these tools? It should be more carefully read the composition of cosmetics, now there are alternative companies that produce only natural environmental products. Such products, although it has a higher price, but it is worth it. It is also better to give preference to folk remedies: shampoos and creams can be made with your own hands, the main thing is to have the motivation to take care of their beauty!