This yogic position has been known since ancient times: its images have finished us on artifacts dating from the 7th century. Vrksasana or tree pose (“vrksa” - tree in Sanskrit) and today remains one of the most popular. It is known that wandering monks and hermits could meditate in this position for a very long time. There is a legend about how the great King Bhagirath dwelt in this particular asana, to pacify the anger of Shiva and get permission to transfer the sacred Ganges river from the abode of the gods to the world of people. From here one more name of a pose of a tree - Bhagirathasana.
Vrksasana - posture, in which it is very important to maintain balance, it allows you to find the center of gravity, learn how to control your body, trains the skill of long-term concentration of attention on internal sensations. Asana helps to calm the spirit and calm the mind, develops self-discipline, perseverance, strengthens the will. The pose of the tree is first asana, with which to start practicing the exercises on balance and stability. It is quite simple to perform, but prolonged holding of the position will make it possible to strengthen the muscles of the legs and the back perfectly, to develop knee joints, thighs and groin area for flexibility.
The practice of Vrksasana allows you to improve your posture, strengthen the muscles of the legs, back and abdominals. In addition, the regular execution of this position trains the vestibular apparatus.
How to breathe when performing Tadasana
When performing Vrksasana, you must follow the breath. After all, the concentration on inhalation and exhalation contributes to the transition to a state of physiological calm, without which it is almost impossible to perform this asana. So, breathing can be just calm, natural. But you can also combine Vrksasana with another yoga exercise - Ujayi. Technique of performance: smooth inhalation (for 8 counts), breath holding (for 8 counts), exhalation (for 16 counts). This technique helps to deal with stress, calms the body and mind, prepares the mind for meditative practice.
Concentration on the process of breathing helps mastering the drisha - or a fixed gaze. The fact is that visual dispersion makes it difficult to maintain balance. Therefore, while performing the Pose of a tree, fix your gaze on a point, imagining that you are directing the energy flow to it.
Technique performing tree poses
All standing asanas begin with Mountain Poses (Tadasans) (link to article) - this is the starting position.
1. Straighten the toes of your left foot, put it steadily. During the performance of the asana, the knee of the supporting leg is not bent.
2. Helping yourself with your hands, pull your right knee to your chest, then take your right foot and place it as high as possible on the inside of your left thigh.
3. The foot should be fixed on the supporting leg, with the heel should be directed upwards, and the knee should be set aside as far as possible. When done correctly, you should feel how the muscles of the right thigh are stretched.
4. After the legs are fixed, slowly spread your arms across the sides, palms up. Raise them above your head and fold your palms. Hold this position, breathe calmly.-
5. Return to Tadasana (i.e., the starting position) and do the same on the opposite side.
Preparatory exercises for entering Vrksasana
There are auxiliary exercises that will be useful for beginners to master the position.
- Lying on your back, pull your knees as close to your chest as possible, first alternately, then together.
- Perform a cycle of circular rotation of the legs, as if describing the circles in the air with the tips of the toes. Start with small ones, gradually increasing their diameter.
- Separate the legs to the sides, stretching the inner side of the thigh and groin area.
- Accept the Pose of the tree in the supine position, while ensuring that the area of contact with the floor was as large as possible. Do the exercise on both sides.
We are looking for the center of gravity
For many in this asana, the main difficulty will be not the entry, but the retention of the pose. Therefore, at first, you can train around the support - it can be a wall or a back of a chair. In this case, you should not grip the support with all your might; it is enough just to touch it with your fingertips.
A great tool for preparing and improving mastering the yoga postures is visualization. In the Pose of the tree, it is necessary to imagine how the foot is firmly attached to the base, like the roots. To maintain an even body position, imagine that you are pulled upwards by some thread attached to the crown of the head. While in Vrksasan, imagine yourself a tree. What exactly will it be? Mighty oak or graceful willow, elegant rowan or slender palm tree. Find this individual image and memorize it. It is this mental projection that will lead you to balance and harmony.
There are no physiological contraindications for Vrxasana, however, it should be noted that for this position are very important. concentration and balance, including - internal. This is very important, because in moments of strong emotional turmoil or intense stress on the nervous system, internal instability is reflected in the body level. Tree pose should be in balance. If at the time you start practicing you feel anxious, anxious, etc. The complex should be started from postures aimed at calming the nervous system and not requiring a great deal of tension, and it is advisable to proceed to the balancing asanas only after internal balance has been reached.
Especially for womeninahomeoffice.com - Olga Farusy