The benefits of strawberries can not be challenged. Is that allergy sufferers can oppose their arguments. But they, these arguments, are too individual. Strawberry fruits are considered a dietary product that can quench thirst, increase appetite and improve the functioning of the digestive system.
Fresh strawberries help in the treatment of a number of diseases: hypertension, constipation, atherosclerosis, peptic ulcer. With violations of salt exchange, this fruit will also play its useful role. The composition of strawberries include: sugar, citric and malic acids, carotene, iron, calcium, phosphorus and other equally useful substances. It is believed that forest strawberries are in no way inferior to their cultivated girlfriend, who settled in our cottages. Strawberry juice promotes the healing of small wounds. Pulp masks are used against skin wilting and to make the skin soft.
Before you plant, you need to decide what to plant !!!
Varieties of strawberries is not enough. But do not take the first thing that falls. It is not right. The variety must be high-yielding, resistant to pests and diseases, as well as large-fruited. Another thing to pay attention to is the taste of the berries. It should have a pleasant sweetish taste.
There are three varietal groups: early, mid-early and mid-late.
- Such varieties as “Roxana”, “Desnyanka”, “Early Maherauha”, “Pavlovchanka”, “Beauty Zagorya”, “Granatovaya” are very popular in our country. These are early varieties.
- Among the medium-early: "Pendant", "Zenith", "Redcoat", "Hope", "Festival", "Generous", "Mariyeva Maherauha".
- Medium-latency varieties include: Cinderella, Lord, Dobrynya, and Amulet.
- The Dutch Gigantella and the Scottish Troubadour are also in great demand on the market. "
Place for planting strawberries
For strawberry culture fit flat terrain. However, it does not feel bad on an inclined surface facing the south-west. You should not grow strawberries in the lowlands and on steep slopes. Low temperatures, cold wind and too much humidity, it will not stand. If it yields a crop, it will be bad and it will hurt very often.
The plant is very warm and moisture-loving. With a temperature spread of 10-12 ° C cold strawberry root system freezes. In this regard, wintering will be better under a dense layer of snow, the thickness of which is not less than twenty - twenty five centimeters.
Experts do not recommend growing strawberries at the same place for more than four seasons in a row. It is considered normal to harvest two to three seasons from a strawberry bed, and then transplant it. What is the need for "migration"? The thing is that a long stay of a plant in one place contributes to the accumulation of various infections and fungal diseases.
- Propagate this berry rosettes. Seedlings can be bought or grown independently. She grows up on shoots of mother bushes. The best young sockets are located closest to the mother (it is also called the uterine) bush.
- It should be left on one shoot no more than three outlets. This amount is optimal for their normal, even fruitful, development. If you leave more, for example, five outlets, they will bear fruit, but three will get a normal development, and the other two will differ in slower rates. You can get up to fifteen fresh young rosettes from one uterine bush. It is very convenient and there is no reason to buy.
- When a new young rosette grows and forms, its small roots deepen into the soil. Now it will begin to feed itself with the help of the root system. The newly formed sockets can be removed. This is at the discretion of the cottager.
Attention! It is important to remember that young rosettes and fruits cannot be harvested at the same time on uterine bushes. Accordingly, the first flower stalks should be removed.-
Optimum strawberry soil
It is best suited for strawberries weakly acid soil. Good in this sense, loamy and sandy. They are rich in humus and nutrients. Clay soils do not fit. If the soil has a close location with groundwater, then strawberries should be grown in high beds, as it will not withstand great moisture. If you are the owner of sandy soil, the harvest will not make you too happy. It will not be rich with small berries. This is due to the lack of moisture.
When is it best to plant strawberries and how to do it right? Strawberry care
- The most optimal plant strawberries in the summer in mid-July. It is better to choose a cloudy day or evening, then the plants will have time to pass the night acclimatization. Seedlings are planted, which has already three - four leaflets, as well as has a developed heart and root system. Plants are separated from the uterine bush and planted in open ground. Watch your roots when disembarking. Better to straighten them.
- A recess is made in the ground, and there is a small mound in it. Strawberries are then planted on it. The plant at the roots is covered with soil and watered. It is important not to pour seedlings, so they use a watering can and a sprinkling method. If everything is done in compliance with the rules, then by winter good bushes will be developed, adapted to the new soil and climate. They will winter well and will give a rich harvest next summer. This will be the first year of fruiting.
- For early and mid-early varieties, a dense planting is best when the aisles maintain a distance of sixty centimeters, and no less than fifteen in the row between bushes. This method of planting will lead to a good harvest in the first year due to the density of seedlings. In subsequent years, everything will depend on rooting and development. As a rule, the most fruitful second year of picking berries. After collecting all the berries for the first year, every second bush is removed. Thus, the distance between the plants is thirty centimeters.
- Late varieties require a different planting pattern. In the first year, the aisle is provided with a distance of sixty centimeters, and from one plant to another a space of twenty centimeters. After removing the second bushes, the space between the strawberry crops will be forty centimeters.
- Watering strawberries is done as needed. This also applies to the first year of fruiting and the next three. It all depends on the weather. Watering is done in the morning, so that in the evening the plants are dry. Before the flowering period, watering is best done using the method of sprinkling. During the fruiting period, strawberries are watered under the root.
- If the weather is dry and warm, water should be watered once every eight to twelve days. It is better to use not cold water. The optimum temperature will be 18-20 ° C. During the rainy season it is desirable to cover the plants. The film is optimal in these cases.
The first mulching (filling) is carried out during the tying of the first berries. Straw or wood chips are taken and placed under the shrub. You can use tape or tape. This process is necessary to rid ripening berries from contamination. A barrier is created between the ground and the berry.
The second mulching is carried out, as a rule, in October. Peat or wood chips are used. Of these, a layer of five to six centimeters is created under the bush.
- All the varieties of strawberry used in our beds do not require, so to speak, from the outside. They are distinguished by self-pollination. If desired, you can spend additional pollination. To do this, take a well-rolled cotton swab or a soft brush out of the paint. The pollination process is carried out on a warm day from twelve o'clock.
- The proximity of the bee apiary is generally an excellent solution. Bees will help complement the selfing of strawberries. The harvest will be more successful with even beautiful berries.
- You can sprinkle the bushes with honey water during the flowering period. Then the bees will fly on strawberries "like honey." The solution is prepared as follows: take one teaspoon of honey and a liter of water. Water with honey is shaken several times. A spray bottle will help with the spraying process.
A good gardener knows that it is right to have three beds of strawberries. The first bed is a strawberry of the first year of fruiting, the second is of the second, well, and the third ... You probably already guessed. To obtain such a system, a new bed is planted every year. And in the third year after the full harvest, all strawberries from a three-year bed are dug and burned. A new bed is planted not on the same, but on a new place of stay. It is best to plant strawberry bushes after green crops.