Wet wool felting is not only the most ancient, but also one of the most popular wool fiber processing methods today, which help create amazing and very beautiful felt products.
To practice wet felting, first, you will need to prepare a fairly simple set of tools that will be needed during work. The most important tools are skillful hands and a ballwoman, thanks to whom truly unique works of art are created.
Since during the work your hands become the main tool, you will need to take care of their protection in advance. So, before you begin to create a picture of wool, without fail, wear rubber or plastic gloves. And after completion of work, it will be necessary to apply any nourishing cream on the skin of the hands.
Following from the technique of the most wet felting, it occurs precisely under the influence of water. In order for the process to go much faster, more experienced masters advise to use only hot water, but not boiling water, otherwise you simply will not be able to work.
You will be able to significantly accelerate the entire process of stalling wool if you use not just plain hot water, but pre-prepared soap solution. To make it, you will need to take a solid or liquid soap (everything depends directly on your personal choice). A certain category of roller holders is used only liquid detergents. However, at the same time, to create the necessary soap solution, the simplest and most inexpensive laundry soap that is practically in every home is just perfect.
So, if you want to use a liquid solution to create a soap solution, then take 1 tbsp. water (as described above, hot) and dissolve soap in it (0.5 tsp). Mix everything well - the solution for work is completely ready, after which you can begin the process of felting from wool.
In the event that you use a special olive, toilet or laundry soap for felting, then take it and grate 100 g on a grater (large). Then pour it with boiling water (2 l) and mix everything well. Now wait a while until the solution becomes thicker, after which you can use it directly for wet felting. Most importantly, he had time to cool down, and was not too hot.
Do not forget that for the most wet felting, you must also prepare wool. Taking into account what kind of crafts you decided to do, it is necessary to choose the type of wool suitable for felting (felting).-
Making a picture
To make a beautiful picture with the help of wet felting, you will need the following materials:
- Bath of water (hot);
- Colored beads;
- Mosquito netting (can be replaced with inexpensive bubble polyethylene);
- Soap (bar or liquid);
- Woolen yarn;
- Wool for felting (it is advisable to use purple, yellow, green, blue and white).
Once all materials have been prepared, you can proceed directly to the wool felting process itself:
- First, lay the wool. Spread a simple bamboo mat and begin the layout. From the skein of wool, gently draw out individual fibers and lay them on the mat strictly in the vertical direction. The basis of our picture will be white wool.
- We begin the creation of the background of the picture, the sky and the grass, alternately pulling out tufts of wool of the corresponding color and spread them over white, but now we are doing the work in the horizontal direction of the fibers.
- Now we begin to lay out the 2nd layer in the background - we pull out small tufts of wool and lay them in the vertical direction of the fibers. You need to start from the sky, gradually moving to the grass. Make sure that the wool green overlaps a little blue.
- We lay the wool on top with a pre-prepared mosquito net and we moisten the entire surface of the product with pre-cooked hot soapy water.
- Gently press the wool with the palms so that it can be completely soaked with water and become as flat as possible.
- Next, carefully remove the mesh and twist the stalks of flowers from wool yarn, then lay them on top of the panel.
- We take small bundles of yellow wool and separate the fiber so that it becomes like a cloud of air. On top of our stalk we put a cloud and form a flower bud. After that, according to the same scheme, we make 2 more buds, but now they are purple.
- Again, we cover the picture with a mosquito net and wet the area of buds well with hot soapy water.
- Over the entire surface of the picture there are three bars of soap, but very carefully, so as not to accidentally damage the structure of the display, otherwise the work will have to start over. Now with circular light movements gradually rub the surface of the picture.
- After about 10 minutes, you will notice how the fibers began to bond with each other. The most important thing is to make sure that the fibers are not tangled in the mosquito net, so every few minutes it will need to be shifted.
- As soon as the wool acquires the structure of a sufficiently dense web, it will be possible to remove the mosquito net, then gently twist the panel into a roll with a bamboo mat and put it vertically so that all excess water is drained.
- Now roll the roll on the table with both hands for several minutes (approximately 30 times in both directions).
- We unfold the roll and shift our product to the other side, then roll it up again and roll it around the table for a few more minutes.
- Again, roll out the roll and turn the product 90 degrees and roll the roll again. The picture needs to be rolled until it acquires the structure of a homogeneous felt.
- We rinse the finished product in cold water. You need to make sure that no soapy water is left in the wool fibers.
- We shift the picture onto a terry towel and gently squeeze so that all the excess water is gone.
- We spread the picture and leave for a while so that it can dry out well (approximately from 12 to 24 hours). As soon as the felt is completely dry, we sew beads to the center of each bud.
Making flowers from wool: master class
To create a beautiful and unusual flower, you need to adhere to the following instructions:
- Take the wool, and scoop a length of about 15 cm from it.
- The strand is folded in the shape of a droplet.
- According to the same scheme, we form another 5 petals, and combine them in the form of a flower.
- Take a skein of wool of a different shade and cover it with a flower so that the petals are interconnected.
- Chopped wool fibers crumble into the center of the flower.
- We moisten the flower with pre-cooked hot soapy solution.
- We cover it with a bumpy captivity and lightly sway it for a couple of minutes.
- Raise the free part of the film and roll it into a roll.
- We roll the roll back and forth at least 50 times.
- We unfold the film, turn the pattern 90 degrees, roll a new roll and roll it over the table again.
- Unfold the film, turn it face down.
- We shift the flower on the hand and with the index finger of the second hand in the center we work on the flower, giving it the desired shape.
- We stretch the petals lightly in different directions, then we fold them inwards and fail well.
- Ready flower with a large force throw at least 20 times on a fairly hard surface.
- To give the flower the correct shape, it must be rolled and rolled between the palms at least 20 times.
- First rinse the flower in hot and then in cold water. Thanks to such actions you will completely wash the soap from the wool, the product will shrink a little, and the petals will get a more lush shape.
- Leave the flower for some time (about 24 hours) so that it can dry well, then decorate the product with beads or other decorations.
Wet felting wool: video tutorial