Where else, no matter how in the repair of their homes to show creativity? For example, sticking wallpaper on non-woven base. "Where is creativity here?" - you ask. Of course, the choice of color and tone, texture, pattern, and the process of gluing itself - is this not creativity? And what a sense of pride and satisfaction does the work done with your own hands!
How to glue wallpaper on non-woven base: general aspects
First, a little theory. Flizelin is a cellulose mixture with the addition of synthetic polyester fibers, polyester. The main difference of this material from paper is increased strength, wear resistance and moisture resistance. Wall-paper on a flizelinovy basis - two-layer. As the second layer using a coating of silk screen, vinyl or fiberglass.
The advantages of non-woven wallpaper:
- they are easily glued to walls and ceilings made of any material, easily smoothed out on their surface, therefore even a person without experience in such works can cope with gluing;
- require minimal costs for the preparation of walls, it is necessary to eliminate only defects of large dimensions;
- for stickers of such wallpaper glue is applied only on the walls, which saves both time and materials;
- strengthen from cracking walls with old plastered surfaces.
How many rolls to buy? To find out, we calculate the area to be pasted, which consists of the sum of the surfaces of all the walls of the room minus the door and window openings. Find out the length and width of the roll, we calculate its area. We divide the total pasting area by this value. We get the required number of rolls.
Technology sticking non-woven wallpaper
Wallpaper purchased, the room was freed from unnecessary furniture, proceed to the process of gluing. But first things first.-
- wallpaper knife, scissors;
- metal ruler, tape measure;
- plummet or building level;
- spatula wide and narrow;
- brush or wide roller for applying glue, narrow for sizing joints;
- brush for smoothing wallpaper;
- glue and water bucket;
- sponge, rag;
- stepladder, desktop;
- putty, primer, wallpaper glue.
- Remove old wallpaper. To do this, we first moisten them slightly, and then easily separate them from the walls with a narrow trowel.
- The walls should be clean, smooth, dry, with normal moisture absorption. If the surface of the walls does not absorb moisture well, paper should be glued under the wallpaper. With a high level of moisture absorption, the surface must be primed. Large defects should be puttied, and after drying the putty these places need to be sanded.
- For glueing vinyl wallpaper on non-woven base apply glue containing methylcellulose. Instructions for the preparation of the adhesive mixture must be on the package. Usually for its preparation using cold water, which is slowly poured glue mass and stirred. It will be ready in 15-20 minutes. The average consumption of glue ranges from 250 to 300 g per 30-40 square meters. m
- We cut the strips from the rolls of the required length with a margin of 5-6 cm. If a pattern is applied to the wallpaper, do not forget about its combination. Determine whether or not the pattern is matched, by marking on the wallpaper.
- With the use of a plumb or construction level we apply a vertical line on the wall for correct orientation of the strips. Since non-woven wallpaper stuck together, it does not matter from what place (from the window or door) you start.
- With a wide roller or brush we grease the wall with abundant glue. Glue should be applied evenly over the entire width of the strip. In hard-to-reach places, the glue is applied with a wallpaper brush in order to avoid the formation of bubbles on unpainted areas.
- Gluing the first strip starts from the top, with the lower part kept in a collapsed form, as in the picture, and the side is aligned with the vertical mark. We do not forget that the strips are cut with a margin, therefore we make a small overlap of 2-3 cm on the ceiling, then we will easily cut it with a wallpaper knife. Do not be upset if you fail the first time, non-woven wallpaper can be easily separated from the wall without damage, and you can start the process again.
- After leveling the canvas, we begin to smooth it out using a brush or a clean rag, slowly moving from top to bottom, smoothing the strip from the middle to the edges.
- The canvas of the second and subsequent bands is glued end-to-end to the previous one after fitting and aligning the pattern. The edges of the strips are carefully smoothed with a special roller.
- In places with switches and sockets, we first glue the wallpaper sheet on top of them, and then use scissors to make incisions from the center diagonally. After that, the corners are expanded, cut off with a wallpaper knife, and the resulting edge of the wallpaper is well smoothed.
- Cutting wallpaper when pasting a door or window opening is carried out on the spot. Cut the opening with an allowance of up to 5 cm, after which we make an incision at an angle of 45 ° from the edge of the strip to the corner of the opening, brush the wallpaper along the edge of the casing, and cut off the excess with a knife. In order not to damage the canvas, trimming is performed using a wide spatula, which tightly press the edge of the wallpaper.
- For the correct pasting of the corner we glue one strip with an overlap of up to 10 cm around the corner. We apply the next strip so that it overlaps the previous one by 5 cm. Using a metal ruler, we cut both layers vertically along the entire canvas and carefully remove the cut edge. Roller smooths the joint. Done!
As you can see, sticking wallpaper on non-woven base is a fascinating and uncomplicated process. We hope you did better than us. You can bring furniture and collect guests.