Currently, there are many species and varieties of begonias. Because of the diversity, begonias are divided into tuber, leaf and bush.
What is the difference between them?
- Leaf begonias belong to the group of decorative-leaved indoor plants (Read the article What are some indoor plants). They are valued, judging by the name, because of the leaves. They can also be propagated by leaves. These include royal begonia and other species.
- Bush begonias do not usually propagate, unlike other rhizomes. It is poorly developed. By the bush include Begonia Hage, begonia ever flowering, etc. These begonias belong to the decorative flowering houseplants.
- The latter group - the tuberous begonias (which will be discussed in this article) - belong to the flowering potted plants. They bloom beautifully and propagate them mainly tubers, why they are so named.
Appearance of tuberous begonia
In turn, tuberous begonia has another classification.
- One type of tuberous begonias - bloom in summer and autumn, erect or basket hanging.
- The second type of tuberous begonias are hybrids of the actual tuberous begonias. Their stems are weak and need support. Their tops are usually pinched so that they curl more.
- The third type is similar to the second type of tuberous begonias, but the flowers in representatives of this type are much larger. These are the most common types of begonias. Begonias of this type can be found in any decent flower shop.
The leaves of begonias vary in shape and texture: terry or smooth. The leaves are very different in their decorative color (in ornamental types of begonias). Flowers of various coloring, also happen terry and not terry. Flowers can be plain, monochromatic and variegated.
All begonias are similar in same-sex (the presence of female and male flowers separately). Flowers are usually grouped. Stems are fleshy. Asymmetric leaves.
- Malva: landing and care
- Climbing rose: care
- Crocuses: planting and care
Types of tuberous begonia
Of the tuberous begonias, the most common are:
- Tuberous hangon begonia is 35 cm high, flowers are red, it is distinguished by hanging stems and peduncles.
- Begonia many-flowered - flowers terry or not terry, orange and other flowers.
- Begonia Sutherland is an ampelous species of tuberous begonia. The flowers are copper-colored, 35 cm in height.
- Begonias are one-colored: yellow, white, red, pale pink (by flower color).
There are species with terry and non-double flowers, grown from seeds and tubers. In addition to the tuber begonia species, there are many varieties.
Location of tuberous begonia in the house
Begonia is a heat-loving plant, it loves the sun. Therefore, place it on the south, west and east windows. From the scorching sun pritenyayte.
Due to its beauty, begonia deserves the best rooms of your house: a living room where your family and friends gather; bedrooms where you spend hours of passive rest; nursery, etc. Place the begonia where it will delight you with its blooming look.
Tuberous Begonia Care
- Lighting. Bright sunshine, but away from direct sunlight. In winter, poorly tolerated lack of light, so expose it to a place well-lit by the sun for a few hours.
- Temperature is needed moderate. In winter, it should not fall below 15 ° C. Above 20 ° C, the air temperature is undesirable.
- Humidity is high. A flower pot with a plant is placed periodically in wet peat. Begonia needs regular air spraying around it.
- Watery During the flowering period - especially. But do not overmoisten the soil, it must have time to dry. In winter, watering is stopped.
- Reproduces the tuber tuber begonia with tubers and seeds.
- Replant begonia as needed. Since in the winter she has a period of temporary rest, I perform the transplant in the spring when she starts to grow.
It will be even better to dig out the begonia tubers from the ground in the fall and store them in peat. And in the spring to plant again. Autumn plant does not represent decorative charm, so the stems are also cut off.
- Daylily varieties
- Garden tulips: planting
- Physalis: landing and care
Pests and diseases of tuberous begonia
With the wrong care for tuberous begonia, it is affected by aphids and powdery mildew.
- From powdery powder spraying fungicide or garlic solution. In order to prevent this disease, it is necessary to loosen the soil regularly and also ventilate the room.
- From aphids get rid of manually. To do this, the leaves are treated with a cotton swab moistened with alcohol. You can make treatment with special preparations (for example, a solution of "Homa" - 1 tsp per half-liter of water).
Remember that proper care for begonia will prevent illness and the death of your green friend, and its decorative appearance will decorate any room in your home.