Paper wallpaper has been and remains one of the most popular wallpaper materials. The paper base is non-toxic, which is why wallpaper materials are applicable in such residential areas as bedrooms, children's rooms, living rooms. They are breathable, have a certain degree of sound insulation. Paper is the cheapest among all types of wallpaper materials. If you follow the wall decoration technology, the work will pass quickly and without flaws.
However, this type of decorative coating has its drawbacks. For example, if the paper gets very wet from the glue, then the web may spill, tear. Also, minus paper wallpaper is a short operation and exposure to mechanical stress. Dampness, mold, direct sunlight and excessive temperature changes can affect the quality of the decorative finish.
Suppose you decided to use such materials in the decoration of the room. How to glue paper wallpaper? All works are divided into several stages:
- selection of materials;
- preparation of the base for wallpapering;
- installation of decorative coating.
Let's stop at each stage in more detail.
Selection of materials
All types of wallpaper are attached using a special wallpaper glue. Mounting mix can be bought in the same place as wallpaper or in any hardware store, in any building market. Choose a glue, on the packaging of which is indicated "for paper wallpaper." You can also use all-purpose wallpaper glue or brew the paste yourself:
- dilute 200-250 g of flour (starch) in 0.5 l of cold water;
- 1 l of boiling water to keep on fire and gently pour in the flour suspension, stirring constantly;
- bring to a boil, turn off, let cool to 40 degrees.
- In addition to glue and rolled wallpaper, you will need a set of tools:
- scissors, knife;
- a plumb, ruler, pencil or piece of chalk;
- wide and narrow paint brushes;
- clean dry cloth (to align the wallpaper on the wall).
Old walls are removed from the walls (wallpaper, whitewash, paint, etc.). The surface of the basis is leveled, defects are eliminated. All external outlet boxes and switches at the time of pasting wallpaper should be removed.
In order to better hold wallpaper materials, and also in order to increase the resistance to moisture, fungus, the walls are recommended to be primed. Choose a primer for its intended purpose. Note that priming the walls will reduce the consumption of wallpaper glue.
Installation of wallpaper materials
- You need to cut the roll into identical cuts, exceeding the height of the walls by 10 cm in length. Some problems with cutting can cause wallpaper with a pattern, especially if you want to dock the pattern. In this case, often there are many scraps.
- Next is the marking of the walls. Need to start from the window opening. Use a plumb line and a long ruler to apply even vertical marks.
- Now you can dilute the glue.
- Mounting mixture abundantly applied to the back side of the wallpaper. We fold the canvas in half and give a few minutes to soak. At this time it is necessary to glue a section of the wall where the wallpaper material will be attached.
- Paper strip applied to the wall. Gently strokes with a cloth, press the wallpaper to the base. Smooth from the middle to the edge, to "expel" the air and excess glue. We start from the top edge (from the joint with the ceiling). Paper wallpapers can be overlapped if there is no need to match the pattern. Also, there is often a white edge around the edge of the paper web, which makes it easy to dock.
- After installation, allow the glue to dry. Experts say that wallpaper on a paper basis can dry from a day to a few weeks. It is important to maintain a constant temperature in the room, not to create drafts, not to resort to an artificial increase in the temperature in the room.
- Cutting off extra pieces of wallpaper, cutting the "windows" under the sockets, switches. Final finishing: baguettes, plinth, etc.
As you can see, nothing complicated. Now you have an idea of how to properly glue paper wallpaper. It is the power of any person, even a novice in the finishing work. We can only wish you a successful repair.