For our region, tropical orchid is one of the most desirable indoor plants. To annually admire its extraordinarily beautiful flowering, you must follow all the rules of care for this delicate and demanding flower. When the orchid has blossomed, what to do with the arrow should be known to every amateur florist.
After the flowers wither, the spike arrow needs to be properly cut. If this is not done, new buds will appear on the old stalk. But do not be in a hurry to rejoice: you can not allow frequent re-flowering, so as not to weaken the plant. Thus, without pruning, the orchid may die.
How to prune an orchid after flowering?
Orchid should be cut at the beginning of the resting period. For certain types of flower, this period begins after the first flowering, other varieties bloom several times a year. In order not to be mistaken, it is better to carry out the procedure in late autumn, preferably in late October - early November. Do not hurry, because the premature removal of peduncles deprives the orchid of the possibility of additional nutrition, necessary for growth in the future.
Cut the stem with a garden pruner: this tool does not cause the flower unnecessary injury. If you do not have special tools, you can use household items - scissors or a knife. But in this case, try not to hurt the leaves: this can cause problems in the development of the plant. Wear rubber gloves and disinfect your instruments with bleach water before working.
Perform the procedure according to the following recommendations.
- Wait until the arrow acquires a yellow, brownish or violet color (such colors are the norm for a withering stem) or it will completely dry.
- Cut the stem, leaving only a section 1 cm high.
- To keep the orchid strong, remove only the faded part of the stem.
- The cut may be empty inside. Do not allow the liquid to enter the hole during irrigation, otherwise the putrefactive processes will begin and the disease will spread to all parts of the flower. This danger is easy to avoid: close the cut with beeswax.
- If meristems (dormant buds) are found on the stalk, cut it 1.5 cm above them. But it is better not to allow such a situation, since these buds may soon turn into buds or babies that require nutrition. Then the development of new stems will slow down.
- It happens that after the end of flowering the stem continues to grow. In this case, you can wait until the buds are formed, and remove the faded portion of the stem just above the level of the meristem. But, if the flower is weakened, it is better (after making sure that the stem does not turn yellow) to cut it at the base.
- If you have cut another green stem, try to reanimate it, putting it in a vase with water. You may be able to grow another orchid.
These are the rules for pruning most orchids. But they can vary depending on the species, because in the world there are about 35,000 species of this plant. When buying an orchid in a flower shop, ask the seller to tell about the nuances of caring for a flower of this variety.
Cut the Phalaenopsis Orchid
Phalaenopsis ("butterfly orchid") - the most common evergreen orchid species, characterized by abundant flowering. Its peculiarity is that the plant enters sleep for a very short period. Therefore, the mistresses of phalaenopis need to trim the peduncle so as not to prevent the orchid from blooming again. Moreover, the duration of flowering increases each time, and the tropical wonder will decorate the house more and more often. So you see that the orchid has faded. What to do with the arrow?
- Prepare a very sharp instrument for cutting and, apart from the treatment with a disinfecting solution, wipe the blade with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol.
- Pay attention: on the stalk of phalaenopsis, there are always scaly dormant buds that should develop into a peduncle or a baby. To admire the flowers of the orchid again after 1-3 months, cut the stalk over 2-3 buds.
- In winter, the stalk may acquire an unsightly dark shade, but in no case can it be cut off. After all, even in winter, babies may appear in the stems.
- Do not remove the lower leaves, wait until they fall off themselves. Full fall of the foliage indicates a disease of the flower - 5-6 leaflets should remain on the stalk.
- Burn down the cut with alcohol or add cinnamon.
During sleep, the orchid also needs care.
After pruning, do not forget to continue to care for your home beauty. In the cold season, the temperature regime changes, the plant stops its intensive development. Therefore, the care of the flower during this period has features:
- moisten the soil as it dries;
- regularly spray the remaining leaves and earthy lump with a spray;
- reduce fertilizing or stop fertilizing the flower altogether;
- transplant the orchid if necessary;
- during transplantation, look closely at the roots: they should be green with a light gray coating;
- if dark, brittle roots are found, in order to avoid rotting, immediately separate them from healthy ones, and cuts the sections with an antiseptic.
The appearance in the apartment of a sophisticated tropical flower is a joyful event. But, in order to prolong positive emotions, you need to provide your pet proper care. In addition to knowledge of planting, watering, locations, etc., it is necessary to remember how to prune an orchid after flowering at home. Proper pruning will save the power of the plant, and in the future it will give you and your guests a lot of pleasant impressions.