The bathing ground is a meadow plant characteristic of the landscapes of Russia. It can be found almost everywhere, especially in damp meadows and forest glades. Swimsuits show an endless variety of colors, they are beautiful in any weather. Currently, 19 species and 7 plant varieties are grown in Russia and neighboring countries.
Bathing suit: care and cultivation
- Despite the fact that in nature swimming baths live in semi-shaded places, it is recommended to grow them in open and lighted areas in front of trees or shrubs. During growth, flowering and as the soil dries, swimsuits need to be watered. This plant winters beautifully and does not require shelter. It can grow in the 1st and the same place without a transplant for a long time.
- Swimsuits are unpretentious, so when grown do not require special soil. However, the most favorable for the cultivation of light or medium loamy, structural, with a high content of soil humus. They grow well on rich, light in terms of mechanical composition, lands close to neutral in acidity. However, swimsuits grow on soils poor in humus. They benefit from a mixture of leafy land with peat and sand.
- Land under perennial swimsuits does not dig over time and requires weeding. Before planting it is recommended to clean it from the roots and rhizomes of previously growing plants. The ideal place for planting swimsuits are low slides or ordinary beds on the background of various stones.
- The care of bathing suits consists in regular watering, weeding and loosening the soil. The depth of loosening should not be more than 5 cm, because the plant has many surface roots that can be damaged. The soil should be constantly mulched with a layer of peat or humus. For good development, it is necessary to systematically pour nutrient soil to the base of the bushes. This plant is moisture-loving, so watering is reduced only by autumn.
- To get a secondary bloom you need to cut off the flowered flower stalks.
- All types of swimsuits are fairly cold-resistant, so there is no need to cover them in winter. At a permanent place, they can grow up to 10 years or more, after which it is desirable to divide the curtain and transplant it to a new place. The leaves of the swimsuit are decorative throughout the growing season. If you cut the leaves that have not completed the growing season, it will significantly weaken the bud and the next year you will not get a developed peduncle.
Diseases and pests
Swimsuits are strong and viable plants that are practically not damaged by disease. For a better state of the culture, early-spring treatment with ashes, fertilizing with nitrogen and complex fertilizers are recommended. At the beginning of flowering, it is necessary to spray the swimsuit with epine (10 drops per 1 l of water).
As a fungal disease prophylaxis, remove old dead leaves in the fall. In rare cases, swimsuits may be affected by smut, Septoria and penetrating short-nematode.
Features of the multiplication of different types of plants
A plant can multiply in different ways: by division, cuttings and seeds. Seeds are sown immediately after harvest, or before winter in the ground or boxes. During sowing in the spring, stratification of seeds for 3-4 months at a temperature of 2-4 degrees is necessary. Seedlings appear in spring. Friendly shoots appear in mid-May. They need watering when the soil dries out and in shading. After the appearance of the 2nd true leaf, the seedlings dive at a distance of 8 to 10 cm from each other. You can plant a bathing place at a permanent place from the spring of the 2nd year or 3-4 years.
European swimsuit blooms on the 2nd year after germination. It can usually be found in Europe and Western Siberia. It forms a bush: the lower leaves form the rosette. In shape, they have palmate-separated leaves, of 5 toothed lobes along the edge. In the upper part of the stem of the European bathing can branch. The flowers are spherical, dense and with a pleasant aroma, usually yellow. The flowering begins in late May - early June and lasts about 4 weeks. Seeds ripen in July, it is better to sow them freshly harvested or, under winter, in an open ground in a specially designated shade. When the seedlings grow a little, they need to dive, leaving the distance between the plants about 10 cm. Next spring, young seedlings can be planted in a permanent place in a flower bed. In the same year they bloom.
Asian swimsuit forms a powerful bush up to 80 cm high. Externally, it resembles a European swimsuit, only its flowers are more open and orange-red in color. Some buds have a terry shape. Asiatic swimsuit blooms in late May - early June. It depends on the growing area. The best way to grow plants are seeds.
There is also a way of vegetative propagation. It occurs by dividing a clump or separating several peripheral shoots from an adult plant along with the roots. The division is best done in late August - early September, when the shoots are already formed in the buds and there is a time until winter for their rooting.-
The mother plant is dug out, the ground is shaken off the roots and washed well. Next, divide it with a knife into several parts. The size of the landing units can be arbitrary. It is important that each of them has several rosette shoots with roots. The surface of the sections is treated with a solution of potassium permanganate or ash. Make sure that the cuts do not dry out.
Planting plants is needed quickly, for this, the seats are prepared in advance. When planting, the root neck is buried by 2 cm, maintaining a landing distance of 30-40 cm.
On the cuttings take young ground shoots that appear in the spring, and summer rosettes with a part of the underground stem. Respond well to fertilizing with mineral fertilizers.
Bathing vessel is a beautiful and unpretentious plant that can be grown on any garden plot. The main thing is to choose a suitable place and ensure timely watering. Otherwise, the bathing vessel may not bloom or bloom much later than usual. Interestingly, the plant is widely used in traditional medicine and in the preparation of some dishes.