It is considered that cats are unpretentious pets living "by themselves". However, many purebred breeds require even more care and attention than small children. If potential owners of a furry friend are ready for some difficulties, it is important to familiarize yourself with the rules of its maintenance before buying a kitten.
One of the nicest and most popular are Scottish Fold kittens. Care and nutrition do not cause serious problems and large costs (compared to other common breeds), but still require compliance with a number of rules. Like cats of any pure breeds, Scottish Folds require high-quality nutrition based on natural products (expensive purchased canned food or home-cooked meals). With regard to care and hygiene, everything is much simpler. Lop-eaves rarely get sick and have little allergy, unlike other pedigreed cats. In general, the level of complexity and cost of keeping these animals can be called average.
Features of the breed and care
In addition to the cute appearance, many are attracted by the intelligence and character of the Scottish Fold kittens. Care and maintenance of their hygiene are important, but the attention and caress of their owner is much more important for animals. For them the long absence of a person is not acceptable, they begin to feel lonely. In general, representatives of the breed are distinguished by a soft and calm nature. They have no aggression, especially when compared with Persian and Siamese individuals. Lop-eared cat - a dream for a man who appreciates the dedication, calmness and obedience of his pet. By ensuring proper nutrition and care for the Scottish Fold kittens harmony between the animal and the owner is provided.
Rules for the maintenance of lop-eared pets:
- Daily grooming is required. Using a special massage brush, the cat is combed out once a day. If you follow this rule, the wool on the furniture and the floor will be much less, and the tartan will be happy and always in a good mood (due to the massage effect when combing and communicating with your beloved mistress).
- Water procedures do not necessarily hold with strict frequency. It is enough to wash the cat as the wool is contaminated. If the pet is in the apartment all year round, then it is enough to wash it once in 2 months. By the way, they get used to the soul rather quickly - several procedures are enough.
- Particular attention should be paid to the ears, which the Scots have an unusual appearance. Because of the hanging shape, mud particles and sulfur quickly accumulate in them. Examine the hearing organs every two weeks. When contaminated, they should be cleaned with a standard cotton swab moistened with a special solution (they are presented in a wide range in pet stores).
- Fold claws need to be trimmed, as well as representatives of other breeds, 2-3 times a month. You can buy a special device - kogterez, through which to do it very easily. It is enough to cut each claw for a couple of millimeters per procedure. You can buy kogtetochku - this will prevent damage to furniture and wallpaper.
- Fresh air is very useful for cats, so it is advisable to walk with them in warm weather.
Scottish lop-eared cats, care for which and the content does not create great difficulties, do not differ and excessive pain. As for vaccination, it is desirable to carry out it in the following cases:
- For the prevention of worms, you must make two vaccinations for small kittens: at the age of 1.5, and after - at 2 months.
- It is advisable to carry out anthelmintic vaccination every 4 months, especially if the lop-eared cat sometimes happens on the street (for example, in the summer season).
- To maximize the protection of the animal against common diseases, a vaccination against viral-derived rhinotracheitis and calicivirus infection can be given.
- If you plan to temporarily move the kitten to the country or in a country house, you need to be vaccinated against rabies.
What feed these pets?
Scottish food must be of very high quality. Be sure to make their diet balanced and natural. How to feed a fold kitten? Here are the basic rules:
- food can not be salted;
- food temperature should be at room temperature;
- do not feed the animal with food from the human table;
- clean water should always be available to the cat;
- when self-cooking food must be boiled;
- give food in a pre-crushed form (especially small kittens);
- Sometimes you should include special vitamins for cats in the diet.
The best food for Fold Scots:
- lean boiled meat (beef, chicken, turkey) - the most important product; raw meat should be excluded;
- offal - chicken liver or beef liver are especially useful (once a week);
- porridges on the water (buckwheat, rice) - both in pure form and with the addition of boiled vegetables or meat;
- boiled vegetables (if the kitten loves raw, they can also be given), pre-grated;
- raw egg yolk (1 time per week will be enough).
It is strictly forbidden to feed lop-eared Scottish cats with pork (in any form), fresh meat (can cause indigestion), salted and smoked, as well as sugar-containing products, confectionery. It is important to avoid any animal fats in large quantities. As for milk, kittens up to 3 months can be given it. It is necessary to monitor the well-being of the pet and its chair. After three months of age, dairy products are not recommended because they very often cause intolerance. Pure water will be enough.
If the decision to get a pet conscious, then the lop-eared Scot is one of the best options. A cute, fluffy, calm and intelligent kitten will become part of a family and a devoted friend. It is only important to take care of him, provide good nutrition and care. It must be remembered that the life and health of a pet is completely in your hands, whatever the breed.