Pomegranate is an exotic and luxury, known in our latitudes in the form of purple-brown fruits sold in the store. Not everyone knows that you can grow a pomegranate on your window sill. Taking care of it at home does not require much effort, and a beautiful tree with large flowers will decorate the interior or become a worthy element of the winter garden.
In nature, this magnificent plant with a height of up to 4-6 m lives on rocky plains and slopes in southern Europe and Western Asia. The Carthage apple was called pomegranate by the Romans, who brought juicy fruits among the trophies from conquered Carthage. Now he is known all over the world, and cultivated within the tropical and subtropical zones.
In spring, lush green crowns with elongated leaves adorn large purple flowers. But even after the end of flowering, the tree does not lose its charms: the base of female flowers becomes more and more rounded, seeds ripen in it, surrounded by transparent flesh. In the autumn, after collecting fruits that botanists call granatinas, the tree loses its leaves, going into a winter sleep.
Homemade pomegranate is an artificially produced dwarf variety of a plant. He is as unpretentious as his wild brother. The more severe and austere the conditions of its maintenance, the better the tree feels and actively blooms and bears fruit.
Choose the seeds of the largest and healthiest fruit if you decide to plant a pomegranate baby at home. Growing from seed is preferable to produce in spring. Do not pre-clean them from the pulp and dry. You can soak the seeds for a couple of hours in milk or a solution of special stimulants.
The first sprout will appear on day 10. At this time, it is better to cover it with a can or cellophane package (for a month), but to conduct regular airing and moisten the soil. Height of an adult plant reaches 50 cm.
Is it possible to get a "shop" pomegranate from a bone at home? Growing such a plant is undesirable: you get a wild game with inedible fruits. And having a plant artificially bred and adapted to domestic breeding, it is better to use not seeds, but cuttings and root offsprings. Vegetative breeding method is optimal for summer time. Branches cut at an angle, having 5-8 buds, are soaked overnight in a root-stimulating mixture. In the morning, you can land them in a narrow pot filled with the following mixture in arbitrary proportions:-
- the soil;
- river sand;
A wide pot and a large amount of land contribute to the growth of greenery, but prevent the flowering of a tropical guest.
Home care for indoor pomegranate
- Already in the first year of life, the future tree can be cut. This interesting plant lends itself very well to molding, for which it is listed as a favorite of bonsai manufacturers. You can get a thick, fluffy bush of the desired shape. To do this, you need to rejuvenate the shoots, removing the old trunk every year. If you do not do this, an indoor pomegranate can grow into a slender tree up to 1 m high.
- In any case, it is necessary to cut the weak branches, and the remaining shortened so that they branch. Pruning of adult plants is done in February. Flowers appear only on the annual shoots, so do not regret last year.
- At the end of winter, buds begin to wake up. This is a signal to bring the tree to the light and begin to water more abundantly. In general, home garnet loves water.
- Care at home is rewarded with flowering in the 2-3 year of life of the tree, when it gains strength. Quite large (2.5 cm), fleshy, jug-like flowers of pomegranate are of 2 kinds. Usually masculine colors appear more. Female can form inflorescences. But when fading off, the tree remains festively well-dressed due to fruits filled with ruby grains. If your plant does not have fruit, then you spoil it, and it should be transplanted into Spartan conditions, because in nature its brethren choose stony slopes. And if it does not bloom at all, perhaps the tree does not have enough light.
- In the summer (at the beginning of the season), the tree can be put on a balcony or in the garden, in the fresh air. But it is better to choose a place such that the scorching rays of the midday sun do not fall on it. Watering at this time can be reduced slightly, it is produced as the top layer of the earth dries. Every 2 weeks, a green pet is shown a shower and dressing.
- By the end of the summer, watering is reduced and the plant is removed into the room.
- The ripening of the granatine is completed by December. They are quite edible. Grains of homemade pomegranate will give a beautiful look and taste to your meat and fish dishes, salads and pastries. To make heavy fruits break branches, install supports.
- When the fruits are gathered and the leaves fall off (and this is a deciduous culture), the pomegranate can be removed for wintering in the basement until February. Not flown leaflets are also removed. Watering for this period is recommended to reduce to a minimum. If a tree perezimuet in the right conditions (10-12 degrees), its foliage in the next summer will be even more beautiful.
As already mentioned, this culture is picky and can survive in almost any conditions. But only truly caring hands will be able to make a shabby beautiful bride. With proper home care, a pomegranate tree for many years will delight you with its exotic beauty and sweetness of fruit.