This plant is one of the most beautiful shrubs. Probably, it is no secret to anyone that China is the birthplace of the plum. Not only flowering plum looks charming, no less beautiful plum and during the period of fruiting.
Plum - ornamental shrubs. It blooms from 10 to 20 days with beautiful white and pink flowers. Many flowers stick around a bush that reaches a height under different conditions from one and a half to two meters. After the flowering period is over, leaves begin to appear and the fruits begin to tie.
Plum - quite winter-hardy plant. Normal care, frills drain it does not require.
Place the shrub on the south side of the house. So it will be protected from the cold north winds. And in the spring, the flowers closer to your windows will bloom first. And then the whole shrub will bloom.
Soil for plum there can be any. But better suited not very heavy, fertile, sandy. Shrubs are transplanted around mid-autumn, always after the leaves fall. Two to three manure buckets and about one glass of fertilizer (phosphorus, nitrogen, potassium in the ratio 1: 1: 2) are brought into the landing pits. Feed once, in July, superphosphate. It will provide good wood and help the formation of generative (flower) buds.
For to plum bloomed, it must be timely cut. At the end of flowering should be cut unnecessary faded shoots. Then next year the plum will once again delight you with abundant flowering. Cutting of flowering shoots is carried out when the lower flowers have fully bloomed, and the upper ones have not yet bloomed and their buds have a bright color. Cut off flowering shoots at the base.-
Methods of reproduction plum
Plum propagated by dividing the bush, green cuttings, root shoots, layering and budding.
- Budding - this is a breeding method in which a plant-wilder (stock) is inoculated with a bud of a cultivated plant, from which a new adult individual will later grow. So multiply the plum in late July - early August. As a stock, any discharge of three or four years of life can be taken. But it is better to take the yellow plum. For good branching, the plant is trimmed in the first year after reproduction, and in the second year up to ten strong strong shoots up to one and a half meters long are left on it.
- With breeding cuttings they are cut in the month of July and rooted in boxes for seedlings. It is important that there are two or three nodes in the cut-off handle. When planting above the soil surface, only one node is left. Rooting soil should consist of one part of sand and two parts of moistened peat. After rooting, the cuttings are planted in open ground and covered for the winter with a sheet with a layer thickness of about 20 cm.
- For reproduction by layering use flexible shoots. They are pinned to the ground, spud in the places of their contact with the ground and left before the formation of roots.
After a strong pruning of the bush usually forms a lot of root shoots. Separate it most often in the second year, when it will give good roots. If the roots are weak, it is necessary to make an incision at the base of the shoot and wait until next year. And then to separate and transplant.
Pests and diseases of plums
Plum - quite resistant to parasites plant. However, she can get sick. We list some of the diseases and pests of this shrub.
- Perforated spotting- fungal disease. They struggle with it by spraying the bushes after flowering with a solution of Bordeaux mixture or copper oxide. Repeat spraying after two weeks.
- If soil moisture is high, plum may be affected. gamble. The wounds on the trunk should be treated immediately with a solution of copper sulphate, garden pitch or covered with petralatum.
- Affected plum and rust. How to deal with it, we will tell in the article "Asparagus pharmacy."
The plum in your garden will not only delight your eyes with a lush beautiful flowering in the spring, but will also bring delicious fruits to your summer table. And how much everything can be cooked from plum, it's only up to you!