It happens that we are drawn to not quite ordinary plants. One of these is nolina, or bokarneya.This plant is attractive for its unusual appearance, for which it received the name in common "horse tail". The British call nolin "elephant foot".
Nolina refers to the ornamental leaf plants (read the article Species of indoor plants). Above all, fancy long hanging leaves, then an unusual base and high growth are appreciated in it. Nolina will be perfect for both residential and office premises.
In flower shops there is only one type of nolina - nolina bent.It can grow up to 2 m in height, but you will have to wait a long time, because the growth at the nolina is slow.
The unusualness of the plant lies in a wide swollen base, which perfectly retains moisture. From this base leaves the stem, from which grow long leaves hanging down. It was precisely because of the characteristic features of the leaves and the base of the nolin that was called "horse tail" and "elephant foot".
Location in the house nolina
For tall plants suitable place on the floor next to the window. If the nolina is still small, put it on the window sill on the west, east and south side of the house.
This plant belongs to the modern, so the retro-style of your room will not work for it, no matter how good it might be. If there are no sharp corners in your room, and everything is very smooth and luxurious, then do not put a nolina there. It will look ridiculous there because of the incompatibility of interior items.-
Nolina is an unpretentious indoor plant. It is undemanding to irrigation, temperature and lighting. However, she has her own preferences.
- Lighting. Bright sunshine. A small amount of direct ultraviolet rays does not damage the nolina.
- Temperature moderate. In winter, it should not fall below 12 ° C.
- Air humidity moderate. Nolina does not need to be sprayed.
- Watering abundant. Water nolina as soon as the soil dries. But do not forget that excessive soil moisture for plants is harmful.
- Breeds shoots and seeds. That's just not to multiply nolin at home is not for everyone, so it is better to buy it ready.
- Transplanted in the spring if necessary.
Pests and diseases nolina
- No matter how nolina is unpretentious in the care, in particular to irrigation, but she suffers from an excess of water. If you see brown spots on the leaves of a plant, and its shoots become soft, reduce the abundance of watering or do not water for a while.
- When the indoor temperature is too high or the air is too dry, the nolins begin to dry the leaves. Make the living conditions for the plant comfortable.
- but dry leaves can and with a lack of water from a very rare irrigation, as well as a lack of fertilizer.
- Nolina can also be overcome by pests: spider mites andworms.To prevent their occurrence, spray the plant to maintain the humidity of the air and clean the leaves of nolina. Wipe nolina leaves with a damp sponge, she will love it.
- In the early stages of identifying insects, wipe the leaves of nolins with soap and water. With a strong infection, it is necessary to treat nolin with insecticides.
Remember that a plant is a living thing, and care is needed for it. Nolina is unpretentious, but you may have some difficulties if you do not follow her care recommendations. It is better not to allow them. After all, a nolina will always be of interest to new guests of your house with its unusual look.