Knitting for a newborn is a pleasant care for a young mother, whom she indulges long before giving birth. Most often, the very first things that are prepared for discharge do not require knowledge of the size of the child, so they can be created before his birth.
The minimum set, according to professionals, includes an envelope, hat and jumpsuit. Later they are added to the pants, vests, booties, dress (if we are talking about a girl). How quickly and effortlessly to link these products?
Features of knitting for newborns
The highlight is the choice of yarn shade. For a small child, especially infants, it is better to acquire soft, pastel shades, since they are less aggressive and do not tire the eyes in comparison with very bright ones. At the same time, light colors are preferable to dark ones, but they are not practical. There are also some other important nuances.
- First, pay attention to the materials: the baby's body is very sensitive, completely unprotected, and the skin is also concerned. Allergic reaction can cause absolutely any yarn, especially one that causes discomfort even to an adult. It is necessary to abandon artificial threads completely, including its minimum addition - for example, Lurex in the composition of a natural thread. Cotton yarn and bamboo are recognized as the most successful, and acrylic is suitable for outerwear (hats, overalls).
- It is most difficult to work with wool: it is very warm and therefore it often goes on blankets and envelopes, but it is better not to let it go on things closer to the body. Before buying, be sure to check for bodily contact: how much it does not irritate you and the baby.
- Secondly, even before knitting, it is necessary to stretch the threads, but not in a typewriter or with a powder: only hypoallergenic baby soap is suitable for this. Such a move will allow to observe minimum standards of hygiene, as well as to remove a possible down pile, which is extremely dangerous for a baby.
- Thirdly, the scheme for children's knitting differs from the scheme for an adult not only in size, but also in design features. The child should not feel even the slightest hint of discomfort, so things are created sufficiently free (but not allowing "drowning" in them), making it possible to move in any direction and with any amplitude; This is especially characteristic of the neck and cuffs. The number of stitches should be minimized, since they will rub the body and thereby cause irritation; it is desirable to bring them out. Also pay attention to the fasteners - long ties, ribbons, large soft buttons are considered the best choice.
In addition, remember that the decor for clothes for babies should be present in a minimal amount: if you want to decorate the product, it is better to experiment with different patterns, but do not attach a lot of beads, rhinestones, sequins and other small items that your baby can tear off and swallow.
Knit envelope for babies: the scheme and key points
The very first thing that appears in infants at discharge from the hospital is an envelope: a large blanket with a hood, sometimes supplemented with cuffs that can be closed. It is knitted from wool, sometimes a fleece lining is added if it is a winter variant. For summer, the envelope can be made from ordinary cotton.
- The scheme below is designed for a child up to six months, but is not universal. It is recommended to work with knitting needles 4 and 5, the total amount of yarn (wool with 50:50 shout) is 550 g. You can stick to a given pattern and take 3 colors, or you can knit a single-color product.
- The entire envelope is made with a classic garter stitch: alternating face and purl loops along the rows. Knitting density - 17 loops in width and 22 rows in height per square 10 * 10 cm. If you want to work with different colors, draw a loose thread from the inside out without tension.
- Before knitting from the bottom, where the width will be equal to 37 cm: this is 63 dialed loops. After the 10th even row, 1 loop is added from the edge, then the same actions are performed every 10 rows 3 times. In its widest part, the envelope consists of 71 loops, which persist over 15 even rows. After that, 3 loops are closed in the center, and then it knits in front of two halves parallel to each other: a lightning will rise here. After 10 rows from the outer edge, it is necessary to begin to narrow 1 loop for every 10 rows. The neck is created by closing the loops of the inner edge according to the scheme 3, 2, 2, 1. The rear part fits in the same way, but there is no need to make a cut for the lock.
- The sleeves are knitted from a cuff in 39 loops, which is performed by alternating facial and purl loops in the same row, the cuff width is 1.5-2 cm. After that, the classic garter stitch continues with an extension to the armhole. Visually, the sleeve looks like a trapezoid.
- The hood is made of 3 parts - a large middle and 2 side. For an average set of 25 loops, extension to 33 loops. For the side - 27 loops.
Parts are assembled along the shoulder and side outer seams, as well as armholes. Attaching the hood is recommended to make a "elastic band" in the 1.5-2 cm, then sew a zipper in the front part and add tape or buttons.
Comfortable hat for the baby: recommendations of experienced needlewomen
For all hats intended for children, especially for babies, it is advisable not to use an elastic gum: in any case, it will squeeze the head, giving the child discomfort, even painful sensations. It is better to resort to the classic pattern of alternating facial and purl loops, which will become a natural "elastic band."
- The simplest and most convenient version of the cap for a newborn is a bonnet, devoid of a back seam, as well as embossed patterns that can interfere with the baby when it leans against the surface of the head. Such a product does not have an exact scheme: the work begins with 72 facial loops that repeat over 2 even rows, after which they change to 2 even rows of purses. The alternation of this algorithm is repeated 18 more times, at the same time from the 36th even row you need to start performing crossed nakida at the edge, and from the 42nd even number - decrease by 3 loops according to the scheme. The final row contains only 18 loops.
- If you want to make a classic hat (for a child from a year), work with circular knitting needles: type 72 loops, knit 12 even rows with an elastic band, then you can work with a simple garter stitch, or take any simple pattern: for example, "braids". For them, it is recommended to change the spokes. The length of the pattern is 12-14 cm. From the 27 even rows, you need to start performing decreases for 9 loops (link 2 in 1) through the row: i.e. on 29, 31. On the 33rd row 9 loops leave, on 35 - 5 loops. After that, bring another 6 even rows of garter stitch, put them back and pull the finished product to the center.
On the caps of schemes and descriptions of knitting practically does not exist, because here the work is even easier than with an envelope. It is enough to understand the principle of action with circular needles and correctly calculate the size of the product.
If you add the upper part to this picture, you will get a jumpsuit for knitting a newborn, also performed in a matter of hours.
Master class on knitting bootees
As for the "shoes" for babies, gentle "marshmallows" are popular here, so named because of the characteristic relief on the toe, which is created using a standard "gum"; and warmer "boots", covering not only the ankle, but also calling on a shin. It is much easier to work with the latter, since their scheme is an oval sole, a straight toe, a heel and the same straight "tube" to the ankle.
- Sole recommended crochet, because it must be stronger than for a sock. Some skilled workers advise making the sole double, for greater density.
- Next, you need to tie the sole along the edge, about 3-4 rows, ascending vertically. After that, you can proceed to work with knitting needles: a conventional garter stitch or a wide “elastic band”, diminishing 2 loops from the edge for each 4 row. The heel is best done clean, without a pattern. It is recommended to sew these parts at a height of 2 cm from the sole, however, be guided by the height of your child’s feet.
Do not forget that in any model of bootees there should be an allowance for the free movement of the fingers, so for the sole, take the foot width with an increase of 1-1.5 cm.
Finally, it is worth noting that the majority of products that can be knitted with needles for newborns have practically no schemes and descriptions: they are carried out using basic sewing patterns, to which craftswomen customize the knitting density, thereby adjusting the number of loops and rows. Therefore, the creation of things for the baby is a creative process.