A plant with a talking name "Klopogon" is actually suitable not only for scaring insects. In Eastern medicine, it is actively used in uterine prolapse, although it must be used with caution because of toxicity. But even if there is no need to grow black cohosh for health, it will be a great decoration in the garden.
Klopogon: photos and features of the plant
- Another name for this plant is tsimitsifuga, and in Germany it is called "silver candles", which reflects the appearance of the flower. Neat fluffy silvery white rollers on long stems with ornamental leaves - this is what black cohope looks like. It grows mainly in the Northern Hemisphere, where a little more than 10 plant species are counted.
- In life expectancy, it is a perennial with an excellent strong root system, which ensures it a good survival in low temperature conditions. The leaves are located at the roots, in the form of pinnately separate, large, muted red-burgundy shade. Possess fine notches on the edges.
- The highlight of the plant is its flowers. They are small, silvery-white, located along the stem on the last 20-60 cm of its height, have several stamens and gather in inflorescences. The shape is often racemose or cylindrical. On the stem can be from 3 to 10-14 inflorescences. The height of the stem itself depends on the particular type of black cohosh: the American one reaches 1.5 m, the Siberian - sometimes even 2 m. The latter is seldom planted in gardens: it has a specific unpleasant smell, for which it is nicknamed "smelly." The Siberian species also has no external attractiveness - inflorescences are rare, the stems are pubescent with hairs. But it is resistant to drought, it can often be found on the edges and in forests.
- The main period of flowering of cimicifugu is mid-summer, some species open buds only in early autumn. Duration of flowering is 1-1.5 months. After which the plant is able to give the fruit, but they are not suitable for food. Seeds are small, oblong, can be collected for further sowing plants. Medicinal roots are recognized in it. It is noteworthy that in addition to the classic white hue, black cohosh flowers can be painted in yellow, red, white-green, pink or cream.
How to grow blackthorn branched?
Branched black cohope - the most frequent view of the suburban areas. These luxurious bushes with a height of 2 m with a variety of white "candles" attract particular attention. They bloom later, begins in September and lasts until the end of October. Aroma, unlike other species, has almost no branching.
"Atropurpurea" is considered the most attractive variety due to its ability to change the shade of the leaves. Initially, the buds, and even the leaves have a burgundy color, on the stem it is softened by a weak white fuzz. By autumn, the lower leaves become green, and the flowers gradually turn from pure white to pinkish-white: the concentration of color decreases towards the ends of the petals.
The stem can reach 1.5 m in height, the young plant is usually not higher than 1 m. With a deficit of sunlight it grows poorly, flowering occurs with a delay. If the summer is rainy, the temperature is below normal, this variety is able to bloom only by the end of September. Even in the middle zone for wintering there is no need to cover it, however, in the spring it should be wrapped in fabric to protect it from returning cold. Reproduction is done by division.
"FrauHerms", unlike the previous variety, cannot boast such a tall stem. It is a dwarf variety, it does not grow above 40 cm. Its flowers are soft-white, the bush is covered with them plentifully. Per 1 sq.m. undesirable to plant more than 4 pcs. this variety. Often gardeners spend molding bush, cutting it, which prevents excessive growth. Reproduction of this instance is also carried out by division.
Features of care for black cohosh
- In this species of black cohosh, the bushes are also very high, reaching 2 m, the stems branch. The sprawl is significant, in breadth it can move to 0.6 m. As a result, it is required to plant out loosely, with a minimum distance of 0.5 m. The root system is powerful and extensive. The leaves on the stalk are evenly distributed, sit on the petioles, trifoliate and large, have teeth along the edge, reach a width of 1 m.
- In small yellow-white flowers there is a honey aroma, the inflorescences form a cone, taper to the top, occupy up to 0.8 m from the top of the stem. Flowering begins in mid-summer, continues until early October. It is noteworthy that the opening of the buds is gradual: first the lower rows, then goes upwards.
- Not all of its varieties retain a delicate color: there are also specimens with burgundy leaves and purple receptacles, from which white petals emerge with a subtle lilac tint. In this variety, even after flowering is completed and the flowers die off, an attractive appearance is preserved.
- The best conditions for the black cohosh are heavy, loamy, well-moistened soils. It may even be a moorland. What is especially important: the excess moisture for this type of tsimitsifuga is not terrible, as well as drought. However, in the matter of caring for them, gardeners focus on irrigation, as well as on top dressing during the period of budding.
Klopogon "brunet": what is this sort of good?
- Of all the varieties of simple black cohosh gardeners distinguish "brunet". This is an interesting plant in its color, having a purple stem with a brown subtone. It has the same color of leaves, and dazzling white flowers, whose petals come out of a purple receptacle. A bud of the 1st shade with a stalk. The bushes themselves reach a height of 3-4 m as they mature, and therefore this variety is often used to create hedges that divide the dacha into zones. Its flowering period is at the end of summer.
- The requirements for the care of this variety are somewhat different from those that are indicated for other types and varieties: he likes sunny areas, unpretentious in terms of watering. The soil must be drained, the acidity does not matter. It is frost-resistant and easily goes through dry periods. Due to the combination of such characteristics, black cohosh "brunet" appears especially often in garden plots in the middle lane.
Black cohope planting is done by several methods. The main one is considered to be classic sowing, which is produced by freshly harvested seeds. The longer they lie in waiting, the lower the likelihood of their germination. In this case, germination will still be uneven, as a result of which several crops are usually carried out, one after another.
Six months are given for the emergence of seedlings, during which it is important to maintain the optimum temperature. At first it is 20 degrees above zero, lingering for the first 3 months, then it is allowed to lower it to 4 degrees. At the same time, the humidity should be low; you should not cover the containers with seedlings. Therefore, black cohope is sown usually in winter.
The bush will bloom only on the 3rd year, the 1st time, except the foliage, nothing will appear. If you want to admire the flowering earlier, you should buy an adult seedling or divide the existing shrub. The cutting must be kept in a mixture for several days, which will enhance the development of the root system, and then it is important to keep it warm. For example, in a greenhouse. Term - until rooting process. After that, it must be planted on the site where he will grow over the next few years.
Substrate selection for klipogon is not complicated: almost all its species and varieties value moisture (this does not apply only to the moment of cultivation of seeds), as a result of which they need soil, where moisture lingers for a long time. If there is a risk of draining the land (for example, in regions with hot summers), it is advisable to cover the area around black cohosh mulch. Watering is done regularly for 3 seasons, with the exception of winter. In dry time, it can be carried out with a frequency of 1 every 2 days.
Also important is the high acidity of the substrate and its fertility. Before planting a bush, it is recommended to apply fertilizers - leafy ground and compost. Feed the plant sufficiently once a season. And the last factor to be considered when choosing a place for zimitsifugu - lighting. In the shady area will be more lush bloom. The only area in which it is not necessary to put black cohosh is under the trees, because it may not have enough moisture, which will be picked up by stronger plants.
Klopogon tolerates a transplant poorly, therefore it is recommended to immediately find him a permanent place. If it was required to move it, it is necessary to deepen the crown of the roots only 10 cm below the ground. This will allow the plant to more easily adapt to the new zone. Only transplants in a young (1-2 years) plant are allowed. Adults do not want to move around the site.
Black cohosh is a unique plant. It is a good remedy for harmful insects, used in traditional medicine. At the same time, culture is a great decoration for any garden. There are not many plant species, but they all have attractive features. This allows you to choose black cohosh for a plot or flower beds with any design.