The technique of jute filigree makes it possible to reproduce incredibly elegant patterns on any surface, as a result of which its results are often compared to wood carving: all the lines are so thin and neat that it is difficult to believe in their true nature. The algorithm of work is not complicated, so jute filigree is available to novice skilled workers: it is enough to study the basic rules, collect interesting stencils and try your hand at this exciting business.
Jute Filigree for Beginners: Basic Principles
The whole technology fits in a few words - jute filigree is based on the location of the material by curls or lines on the surface, after which it is fixed and either remains on the same surface, or, after drying, is removed and transferred to the right place. Previously, the basic material was wire, which was not required to be fixed: it itself “memorized” the given shape, and in some way it was much easier to work with it. Today, for the decoration of things using jute filigree, threads of different thickness are used, which are fixed through impregnation with glue. In ancient times, the patterns were twisted from fine gold, silver and copper.
- Main material for jute filigree - twine or fat a thread. It is possible to work with thin threads, and even with embroidery threads, but they keep their shape much worse, therefore they are suitable only for decorating flat products, and they will not become an independent element without support.
- Additional tools, without which it can not do - a transparent glue, which will become a fixer, and a kind of sculptor, scissors, tweezers. A thick needle, a needle or a thin awl, acrylic paints and acrylic lacquer can be useful - fixing the finished result and changing the shade of the cord.
- If necessary, you can use additional decor - from rhinestones and sequins to feathers, beads, ribbons, etc. But all this in technology is in the last place, therefore it is not of special value in the instruction.
- If you want to change the shade of the thread used for the pattern, it is recommended to paint it before starting work, completely dipping it in acrylic paint and allowing the material to dry. If the paint is applied to the thread at the end of the work, it takes much more time, and the process itself will be more laborious.
In order to master jute filigree, it is advisable for beginners to attend a practical exercise or watch a video, since the movements of the arms and the direction of the threads are difficult to understand only from the text. However, for the most basic elements of a written description of the action algorithm is sufficient. Professionals recommend first to work out the simplest patterns, understand how the thread is fastened correctly, how long it allows to deform itself, etc., before searching for complex puzzles.
Schemes and recommendations
- The process of implementing ideas in the technique of jute filigree begins with choosing a pattern. Those who are puzzled by the search for a stencil suitable for jute filigree can be recommended to turn to quilling patterns - they are quite similar to each other due to the twisting of the tapes. However, it is possible to disassemble the scheme even on a product which is randomly scanned by the masters - all directions can be traced well.
- The basis, without which nowhere both professionals and beginners are simple patterns in the form of the letters "C" and "S", as well as filling the contour with diagonal soft lines, additions of "eights" and "snails". Craftswomen recommend to work these elements singly, before starting to create full-fledged paintings.
- The selected pattern is necessarily transferred to the paper, which will become the main surface for its implementation by the threads. Some surfaces make it possible to do without this stage, but in this case, drawing must be drawn on them: it may be wood, fabric, metal. Make sure that the thickness of the drawn line is less than the thickness of the thread with which you will duplicate it.
Simple and affordablemaster-the class
A napkin in the form of a large flower is ideal for beginners: there are few patterns in it, but in addition to practicing the basic elements, the process of joining several parts is also practiced here, which also takes place in the jute filigree. Basically, large paintings are created through the combination.
For the work you need a twine, any transparent glue, a sheet of paper with a stencil, driven into a transparent file, scissors.
- The entire napkin consists of 2 parts: it is the central dense circle and the petals connecting under it. On a sheet of paper, each of the parts is displayed separately.
- To make a circle, the stencil in its place is completely covered with glue. During the time that he will grab, it is necessary to begin to twist a dense "snail" out of the twine. If you are worried about its safety, you can dip the end of the twine in glue and press your finger to the nearest turn of the thread.
- When 3-4 turns are made, the “snail” should be placed in the center of the drawn circle, pressing the finger against the sticky surface, and continue to twist the string, now immediately placing it on the surface. As soon as the circle reaches the desired size, the twine is cut, the edge hides under the received "snail" or is pressed against its side, additionally fixing itself with glue.
- Now you need to start working with more elegant details - petals. Glue here will be applied only along the contour while manipulations with it are performed. Professionals recommend processing each petal separately, since the pace of work is usually lower than the rate of curing of the glue.
- Twine is placed from the center and goes to the outer edges, forming a neat loop. Every 1-2 cm. You should press it with your finger, additionally putting it in the glue.
- In order for the product to have the same density on all sections, a separate piece of thread is cut for each line. It’s difficult to determine the desired length by eye, so you can attach a thread to a drawing before repeating the part with a glue, and then cut it off after such a “fitting”.
- To make the product more dense, the line should be duplicated along the internal contour, putting a slightly smaller cut of the string close to it: a double contour is obtained. In the case of a flower, the petals are most conveniently laid out in the form of a figure eight. At the same time, it is important to ensure that only 1 thread remains in the center, otherwise the middle will be too thick: for this purpose, the upper contour is cut off a little earlier, and the inner contour completely describes the petal.
- Absolutely in the same pattern, the inner small lines of the petal begin to fill, also repeating the shape of a drop. It is also recommended to duplicate the contour.
- When the main contours of the flower are laid out, you can begin to fill in the free areas: if you leave them empty, it will be difficult to remove the product from the stencil - it will be soft and will not retain the desired shape. To fill, you can use the same basic element "snail": put glue on the stencil in a circle, with a full filling of its area, twine the twine in your fingers, put it on a sticky circle, press down with your fingers.
- As soon as the free areas are filled at least partially, the part must be covered with PVA glue on top - it will connect the threads with each other, and allow it to dry for 1.5-2 hours.
- When the twine becomes hard, the product can be removed from the stencil base, connected to the previously harvested circle using the same transparent glue, press it with a press for several minutes.
Jute filigree - the technique is quite simple in its execution. In fact, it does not even require special schemes - all patterns can be peeped in as simple drawings (for example, in children's coloring), and in Russian folk art. And to fill the space between the main contour lines, all the same basic elements will do.