Recently, more and more fans are winning hand-made polymer clay jewelry. The main advantage of these accessories is exclusivity. The owner of a unique pendant or bracelet is guaranteed to be able to stand out and attract attention. Not to mention that it will demonstrate excellent taste!
Clay needed to create jewelry
The easiest option for those who start working with polymer clay is to buy ready-made material. Moreover, even ready-made “sausages” (also called “canes” or “cains”) are sold in hand-made stores for cutting decorations or blanks for them, such as flat beads. The most common commercial options for clay are:
- Fimo (3 types - soft, classic and effect - allows you to get any palette, add glitter or mother of pearl; they are very soft and comfortable to use);
- Premo (more waxy clay than the previous one, well suited for making sausages);
- Cernit (similar to wax, requires careful kneading);
- Kato (kneaded only with a special hammer, baked quickly, but at much higher temperatures).
But craftswomen who are captured by the whole process of creating unusual accessories will probably want to make the clay themselves. Of the several recipes for decoration, it is preferable to use the so-called Franchese paste or Latin American clay. To make it, they mix 1: 2 starch and glue, equal parts of glycerin, a fat hand cream, vinegar, and a little water is added. This clay is quite elastic, but not fragile. In addition, it does not form cracks, which is very important if the jewelry is worn often.
Handmade polymer clay pendants
Any woman knows: if you need to refresh the outfit, it is enough to wear a new decoration. And if it is also made of polymer clay, then the usual image is guaranteed to shine with new colors. Quickly and easily, you can make a pendant of clay of 2 colors (no need to take more, since the proportions can not be guessed, and the color will be blurred).
We will need:
- clay (for example, blue and white or any other);
- rolling pin;
- sewing pin;
- small bead, suitable for color;
- crochet hook of medium thickness;
- colorless varnish for clay.
- We fold the wire with an arbitrary loop (it can be in the form of a treble clef).
- Punch off excess pliers.
- We fold 2 pieces of clay, we roll them up with a spiral, and then we fold the spiral in several tiers.
- With a rolling pin we roll the spiral into a layer 3 mm thick.
- We press our wire billet into clay.
- Hook remove excess (for this purpose you can also connect nail scissors).
- Insert a pin at the top (previously strung a bead on it).
- Bake at 130 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- We varnish.
- We thread a chain or string into the pin hole - the pendant is ready.
Making exquisite clay bracelets
A sure way to show individuality is to put on a hand made bracelet made of polymer clay.
Consider 2 options for creating simple bracelets.
We will need:
- clay 1 or 3 colors;
- Mash in the hands of a piece of clay of the same color.
- Roll clay in a tube equal to the diameter of the index finger.
- We attach the shape of the bracelet to the blank, after making a measurement of the grip of the wrist.
- Put the bracelet in the fridge for 15 minutes to set.
- After that, with a blade, we make chaotic sections on the outside of the bracelet.
- We rub the product with an emery paper to give it a "spirit of olden time".
- The bracelet is ready.
Another model of the bracelet is even a child.
- We knead the clay, make 3 tubes (different colors can be).
- We intertwine tubules pigtails.
- We reduce the ends of the product, waiting for the finished bracelet to dry.
Polymer clay necklace
Irregularly shaped jewelry, such as, for example, a necklace made of flat beads of various sizes, became fashionable.
For its manufacture we need:
- clay 3 colors (black, green, brown);
- rolling pin;
- clay varnish;
- thread or chain for warp necklace.
- Knead a piece of brown clay, roll it into a small sausage.
- We make a small groove along the entire length of the sausage.
- We roll a thin cane out of black and put it into the recess.
- With the same black sticks we wind along the entire brown sausage.
- Roll green clay into a 3 mm thick formation.
- In 1 layer we wind the sausage, form a rectangle.
- Cut the workpiece across into pieces, with a print resembling a leopard skin, and roll them to a thickness of 3 mm.
- Roll out a large layer of brown clay, lay out the colored blanks and gently roll it all into one canvas.
- Shape making beads. We make holes for lace or chain and send them to the oven for 10 minutes (the temperature should be about 140 degrees).
- We polish with emery paper blanks. We wash off the dust with water and cover the beads with varnish.
- We string on a cord or a chain - the necklace is ready.
DIY jewelry made of polymer clay will not only emphasize your individuality, but will also bring a lot of pleasure by transforming formless clay into exquisite accessories. It is only important to follow the technology and not rush. And then making jewelry from such a pliable material will become a favorite way of manifesting fantasy.