Due to its low cost, convenience and versatility, as well as a good protective function, down jackets have become quite popular outerwear. Depending on the filler, the degree of their ability to retain heat, as well as the rules for their care, vary. Especially often the difficulty of the issue of washing down jacket: dry cleaning can not always be the way out, so it is important to understand how to solve the problem.
Is it possible to wash down jacket?
Many people are wondering if the wash will not worsen the look of the down jacket. After all, dry cleaning probably resorts to dry cleaning of the product, which cannot be done at home. Will it be possible to preserve the presentability of a thing by scrolling it in the drum of a washing machine? To do this, it is necessary to understand the composition, which each bona fide manufacturer reports on the label.
According to the general idea, a down jacket is a jacket filled with some insulation. This parameter leads to the fact that the drying time of the product increases and soft contact with water is required so that the filler does not roll and the main function of the down jacket - to keep warm - does not disappear.
What stuffed down jackets, and how it affects their washing? If we go from the name of the thing, then we can conclude that down is the filler. Usually it belongs to a swan, duck, eider or goose. The label of this product contains the label "down", and this is the most correct composition of insulation. However, it occurs infrequently, so most models have the marking "feather": in them the down is diluted with a feather, which indicates increased attention to the process of cleaning the product. It is the pen that is most difficult to stretch correctly: it easily becomes strayed by lumps.
Therefore, manufacturers often prohibit ironing and washing such products, which raises many questions for women. In addition, you can find down jackets, filled with wool "wool" or padding. The latest models are inexpensive and much more loyal to the different washing modes, however, you should not lose vigilance with them, assuming that you can wash such a thing as you like.
How to do it right?
- It is noteworthy that the best way to clean a down jacket at home is hand wash. Despite the fact that washing machines are constantly being improved, and many no longer remember how they used to do without them, there is still no more careful method with respect to the down-filled filler than the hand wash. Therefore, if the outerwear is not too dirty, it is better to try to do without the intervention of a washing machine. The main difficulty in such a situation will be spinning: in addition to the fact that the product area is considerable, when wet, the down jacket gains weight. It is best to ask for help a man who will carefully deliver the product from excess moisture.
- At the initial stage, the preparation of the product is carried out: the fur is removed, if possible, the hood is detached if present. It is desirable to remove and decorative details: for example, a belt. Everything is taken out of the pockets, the button fortress is checked against the down jacket: they can fly off during the wash.
- After that, the correct powder is selected: it is not recommended to use the usual one, since it will be very difficult to completely wash it from the feather filler. On the dried piece of clothing it will be especially noticeable for light divorces. It is best to buy a liquid detergent that focuses on downy feathers or is suitable for washing colored items. If you can’t find any similar tools at all, you can resort to liquid soap or shampoo. The main thing is not to use bleach, unless the down jacket is not the corresponding light color. It is also undesirable to use air conditioning: the effect of its application will be equal to what will leave the powder - stains.
- Proper washing of the feather jacket by hand - when the product is in a vertical position. To do this, it is placed on a hanger and hung above the bath. A soap solution is diluted in a large basin, while the water must maintain a temperature of 35-40 degrees. A sponge or soft brush is lowered into the water, after which they need to rub the contaminated area gently, without pressing hard. The foam is washed off by a shower, directed tangentially. This method is suitable when the down jacket only needs to eliminate a few spots. The attractiveness of this technology is that moisture is collected locally, the drying process is faster and easier.
- If the product is contaminated over the entire surface area, it is recommended to place it horizontally, completely immersing it in water. Soaking in the pelvis is carried out only for 30-45 minutes, after which the problem areas are processed with a brush. In this situation, it is required to thoroughly rinse the down jacket, changing the water 3-4 times to remove the detergent from the filler as much as possible and to prevent the appearance of light streaks.
- After that, the item is squeezed out, which can be done even in the drum of a washing machine, if it is very difficult to manually reproduce such a procedure manually, and is suspended on hangers in a room with low humidity. It is impossible to dry a down jacket in a horizontal position, especially - lay it on the battery or heater.
We use a washing machine
- First, the down jacket belongs to the category of products that are loaded into the washing machine drum only one by one. Even if the machine is large and the down jacket is short, more like a jacket, it should be washed separately from other things. There should be as much free space at the down jacket in the washing machine so that the filler does not get tamped. For the same reason, in small-sized machines, large products are not recommended to be washed: after loading in the drum there is almost no space for free movement of things.
- Secondly, many are interested, what mode to wash down jacket. Often, all parameters have to be set manually, because few of which the machine has a special program for down jackets and similar products. Therefore, the water temperature is chosen minimal, but within reasonable limits, so that pollution can not be washed off by means of prolonged soaking. The recommendations for most models of down jackets are 30 degrees, sometimes raised to 40 degrees. The same applies to the number of revolutions - 600-800 rpm is considered the upper bar: this is the mode for things made of delicate fabrics. Moreover, the spin will occur at the same low speed, again in order not to knock down a down-padded filler in a flat layer.
- Thirdly, it is necessary to lay the product in the car, having previously turned it on the wrong side, fastening the locks and buttons. Optimally - if you put a down jacket in a special mesh. In addition, as in the case of hand washing, you should rinse the item 3-4 times, constantly changing the water. And so that the fluff does not get stuck when spinning in a washing machine, 2-3 tennis balls or special balls for washing such items are put into the drum along with a down jacket, which are often awarded upon purchase.
The important point is to dry things. Besides the fact that it should be in an upright position, you should definitely shake it up and interrupt it periodically. Such actions are necessary to prevent the feather-down filler from rolling, as well as its better distribution inside the thing. In the conditions of an apartment, if the humidity in the room is not high, the down-padded coat dries completely within 36-48 hours.
However, in the cold season, the process is often delayed for the 3rd day. To reduce this period, you can put a heater near the product, but in no case should you put a down jacket on its surface. Some women charge warm air from the back of the product with a regular hairdryer. This is effective, but is more often used as a method of quickly shaking the filler.
If it so happens that the sintepon or peropuhovoy heater was knocked together by lumps, they should be gently stretched with your fingers, and then with a narrow nozzle of the vacuum cleaner with the equipment turned on, carefully walk around the product, working with its wrong side. Air flows will disperse the filler and distribute it evenly. It is not recommended to iron the down jacket - for this purpose it is better to use vertical steam.
Down jacket - a great solution for a cold winter. It is warm and comfortable. Perhaps the only drawback of the product is the difficulty of cleaning it. The best way - hand wash - rather laborious, and the washing machine does not always allow you to maintain the quality of insulation. These questions are easy to solve if you follow simple rules for cleaning things, based on the composition of its packing and the fabric of the top.