We can assume that the repair comes to an end when the question of decorating walls arises. This is one of the most crucial stages, as aesthetics comes to the fore, requiring the selection of a suitable material. The most popular type of decoration for a long time remains a decorative plaster made of ordinary putty.
Facing the walls, like any other stage of repair, is an expensive process. Since the decoration of the walls is left at last, at this point many owners formulate for themselves only one main goal - to save. And it is quite possible, if you apply a plaster made from ordinary putty.
To begin, let's understand the concepts. So, plaster - a material with large inclusions, which is designed to cover the walls. Hard putty is by far the safest and most environmentally friendly way to level the walls and eliminate minor imperfections on them. Such material is of two types:
- starter - for masking irregularities;
- finishing - to create a smooth surface.
Decorative plaster is made of finishing putty, and even beginners in repair work can easily prepare the mixture. As a result, the walls will get a beautiful relief and unusual texture, giving the situation a graceful respectability.
Indisputable advantages of decorative plaster from putty are:
- ease of application on any basis (brick, foam concrete, drywall);
- moisture resistance;
- durability (with proper coating, reliability can easily compete with a stone);
- resistance to direct sunlight, odors;
- easy handling and care.
Choosing materials and tools
Before describing how to make high-quality decorative plaster with your own hands, you should focus on the materials and tools necessary for work. We will need:
- finishing putty;
- plasterboard grout, which is used to strengthen the joints between the plates;
- white acrylic primer;
- paint, varnish or glaze - as required.
As for the toolkit, the list will be slightly longer:
- special mixer for mixing water with a putty;
- spatulas of different sizes for putting the mixture on the walls;
- sandpaper or a grater for leveling the applied layer;
- foam rollers, tassels of different thickness;
- dishwashing sponges.
Ways to use plaster for wall decoration
There are several ways to create mixtures for the design of wall surfaces. Here is a selection of the most convenient in the work options.
- acrylic paint (if you want to make the walls colored).
- Mixing putty, primer.
- Add water in small portions.
- Stir to the consistency of homemade cream. The mixture is ready.
If you have conceived the application of a large volumetric painting with your own hands, for example, a bas-relief on the wall, then it is better to prepare the mixture from gypsum plaster. Just note that you need to use this mass for half an hour: then it will harden.
- 6 kg of plaster putty;
- 2 l cool water;
- 0.2 liter of normal PVA glue.
- In a container with some water pour plaster, mix thoroughly.
- Pour in glue, stir again.
If you overdo it with plaster, pour water.
This plaster is called "Venetian", since it can be used to create an imitation of surfaces, which were the hallmarks of the palaces and churches of medieval Italy.
- special dyes;
- sand from natural stones (gold, marble).
- Mix plaster, sand, dyes.
- Add water in small portions so that the mixture resembles sour cream.
To facilitate the mixing process, you can use a construction mixer.
The technology of applying decorative plaster
To decorative plaster beautifully lay on the surface, you need to consistently perform the following steps:-
- We ground the walls with primer without tinting.
- After 3-4 hours you can apply a decorative coating, making careless uniform movements.
- After 6-8 hours with an emery paper we grind a surface.
- At the end of the day it is allowed to paint the wall or put reliefs on it.
To create a structure in the figure, you can use:
- spatula (figured or ordinary);
- rollers with replaceable rollers. Those can be both ordinary and textured.
To add a raisin to a pattern on the wall, you can:
- to wrap around the clothesline to get a winding with several overlaps;
- wrap in a bag to make folds embossed - then there will be no repetition of elements on the pattern.
4 ideas for applying plaster
Wall decoration can be performed on several models. Here are a few options.
This type of decorative lines is applied to the wet plaster with a sponge, which must be strongly pressed to the surface.
Fresh plaster should be “combed” with a metal comb, guiding the tool in a wavelike manner, in a circle, crosswise, in a chaotic manner, etc.
A dark shade is applied as the first layer. On wet plaster, white splashes are made with a washcloth and varnished to fix the pattern.
We apply a plastic bag to the wet plaster, press it with our hands and hold it for about 20-30 seconds. Then we tighten the film so that the coating does not move downwards, and at the same time we smooth out the folds that could have formed during application. After 12-16 hours we remove the polyethylene and give the walls to dry well (10-15 hours). Then we clean the surface, removing the protruding parts. Perfectly smooth texture, reminiscent of silk, requires painstaking work when applying plaster, so professionals recommend using it in fragments, and not on the whole wall.
Decorative plaster from the usual putty gives you the opportunity to beautifully decorate the walls with your own hands. Besides the fact that in this way you will save on expensive finishing, you will be able to realize bright and original creative ideas. After all, such decoration does not require special skills - only the material base and skill, which quickly comes with some experience.