Parties, carnivals and balls - these events are not complete without fancy dresses. And the most important part of such a dress is often a mask. What to do if you can not get it? The costume will be saved by a technique that describes how to make a papier-mâché mask. Consider several options for making carnival paraphernalia.
Papier-mache, or "torn paper" translated from French, is an ideal way of making embossed handicrafts: molds, masks for masquerade or Halloween, various figurines for decoration. Paper handling has a number of advantages:
- material availability;
- ease of implementation (paper, especially wet, very malleable);
- a fairly short process of manufacturing and drying (for complete drying crafts need about 2 days).
The nuances of working with the material
For a papier-mâché mask to turn out to be of high quality, it is important to choose the right materials for its manufacture.
- Paper is better to take newsprint: it is thinner, and therefore more plastic.
- The first layers can be made from napkins, but note that they form wrinkles and lumps when wet. By the way, this property is convenient in the manufacture of masks of the elderly: natural wrinkles and folds are obtained.
- Strips of newspapers are better to tear than cut. The fact is that the ragged edges are better aligned on the surface of the product.
Also papier-mâché masks will need glue. You can use PVA, wallpaper or paste. As for homemade glue, you can make it in just 5 minutes.
- Mix ½ tbsp. water and ½ tbsp. flour (you can take starch).
- Carefully knead the mixture so that there are no lumps.
- We put on the fire and cook for 2-3 minutes until the paste thickens.
- Use the cooled glue.
To shape the mask need a foundation. As a base for freezing the material can be used:
- foil cast;
- polymer clay.
For some options, it is necessary to impose material on the face, so it is necessary to pre-lubricate it with a greasy cream so as not to damage the skin.
How to make a papier-mâché mask with your own hands?
Consider a technology that describes how to make papier-mâché at home using a foil base.-
- several napkins;
- a couple of sheets of white writing paper;
- tassels (thick for applying paste and thin for decoration);
- paints (for example, gouache);
- decorative elements (rhinestones, beads, ribbons, lace).
- On the face we impose several layers of foil, we give it the shape of bumps and bends.
- Remove the base, make slots for the eyes.
- Getting down to the mask. We draw stripes of newspapers about 8 cm in length and 2 cm in width.
- We wet the wipes with water and apply them on the base.
- Next, we dip each piece of newspaper in glue and glue it to the base, smearing well on top with a brush dipped in paste.
- We lay out 2-3 layers and level the surface, releasing the air and removing irregularities.
- Total impose about 8-10 layers.
- The last layer is made of white paper.
- We make holes for the nose and mouth.
- Give the mass to harden for 2 days.
- Sandpaper align the surface of the mask.
- Getting to the decor. Apply with a brush several layers of paint, decorate with rhinestones, lace.
Papier-mache mask: master class
Venetian carnival style mask is convenient to do on a plaster form.
- a sheet of paper, a pencil;
- 2 small bags of alabaster (plaster);
- stationery knife;
- glue brush;
- PVA glue;
- a piece of velvet;
- thread, needle, pins.
- On paper we draw a sketch of the mask, taking into account the width of the person’s face.
- From plasticine do on paper pattern bulk workpiece.
- We dilute according to the instructions alabaster with water and coat the clay form with gypsum. The thickness must be at least 3 cm.
- Heat in the oven billet and take out the clay.
- Give the plaster to harden for about 4 days.
- Now in the form lay out the pieces of newspapers dipped in glue. To carefully paste over all the bulges, use a brush.
- Leave the mask for 2 days to freeze.
- We take out the preparation of the product, carefully trim the edges.
- On paper, cut out eye patterns, apply to the mask and make holes with a clerical knife.
- Glue the gelva with white glue on the frame and apply velvet.
- We cut the edges, not forgetting to do the bends, also pushing them on the glue.
- In the middle we stretch the ribbon, sew it to the fabric.
- Holes for the eyes on the inside, also pasted tape.
- We glue the inside of the mask with glue and apply a piece of cloth, carefully process the edges. Accessory for the carnival is ready.
Knowing how to make a papier-mâché mask, you can safely go to any carnival or make your own hands stylish elements of interior decor. Materials for crafts are in every home. The main thing is to show patience, choose the right base and beautifully decorate the finished mask.