Moth is a common household pest. And as soon as the question arises how to get rid of these "uninvited guests", our grandmothers immediately recall the advice of our grandmothers. In their times, naphthalene was the most important means of protection. A substance with a very unpleasant odor, and not particularly effective. It has now been found that the most important thing in the fight against these pests is not so much the chosen remedy as the calculation of their main habitat.
How to get rid of food moth: tips
Groceries that are stored at home in storage may be damaged by food, it is also called a grain moth, and dried fruit and tuber vegetables may also be infected. All food products that are infected with a pest spoil extremely quickly.
Not to notice the moth living in the kitchen is difficult, especially since there are a lot of signs of its appearance. Small golden-brown butterflies fly around the room, cocoons can be found in the grits, flour, on the walls of kitchen cabinets, especially where the grits are stored, crawling pink little caterpillars. Such "symptoms" indicate that an "infection" of the kitchen by the moth has occurred.
For the rapid destruction of a pest, it is necessary to remember about the peculiarities of its development: an egg - a larva - an adult individual, which is capable of laying eggs. Destroy only butterflies - eggs will remain, which will later hatch, everything will be repeated again. Therefore, for the complete destruction of pests, it is necessary to fight insects at all stages of development.
Start the "hunt" should be directly from the larvae that live in food. To destroy them, it is necessary to conduct an audit of all the supplies of cereals, flour, dried fruits, some types of moths can even spoil the potatoes. If infection has been identified - such products must be disposed of. Of course, thrifty and thrifty housewives will advise to dry the cereal in the oven, with the door open or just freeze. But it may not bring results.
When getting rid of an adult moth, butterflies, the most effective will be mechanical methods - slam flying insects or use specialized traps or adhesive tapes. To use insecticidal sprays is not rational, but if there is a simultaneous harassment of other household pests, then the result will be positive.
Cabinets, where the affected cereals were located, should be thoroughly rinsed with detergents, and grooves and slots should be treated with 9% vinegar.
As a preventative measure, all bulk foods should be stored in tightly wrapped containers.
Special preparations of the chemical industry - insecticides that are designed to poison already living individuals, repellents - that will scare off new adult insects, will also help destroy the mole.
Using chemical preparations
Most often, it is precisely the coat mole that catches the eye, which makes it very comfortable to live in a dark closet. In achieving its goal - to eat clothes, this type of insect will not stand in front of such obstacles as cellophane bags and synthetic fabrics, it will not eat them, but a fair amount of holes will gnaw in order to get to wool or skin.
Caterpillars of the wool moth are unpretentious in conditions that can withstand a decrease in temperature to 0 degrees, live for about a month without food. But the devastating for the larvae will be bright daylight, fresh air. Accordingly, things that are constantly used, do not like moths.-
In order to protect the winter things in the summer time, it is necessary to conduct a series of actions. It is noticed that the hatching caterpillars prefer dirty areas of things in their diet, especially if they are biological fluids or food stains. The larvae eat away the fur / fur along with the pollution. It turns out that the processing of clothes will help avoid its damage, but this is still not enough. In the summer, woolen things and fur coats, other fur products should be stored in special covers that are impregnated with an anti-mole preparation (we remember that the mole may well gnaw through the bags).
Physiologically, it so happened that the egg laying of moths is not securely attached to the fabric, and if things shake well, then the eggs can easily fly off. Therefore, as measures to combat the pest, before removing things for long-term storage, they must first be shaken well. The same actions are recommended to be carried out with all woolen things once a week. But if the moth infection has already happened, the only radical method will be the treatment of things with dichlorvos.
The modern chemical industry offers a wide range of tools and items to combat domestic pests. All funds from moths can be presented in the form of plates, sections, sprays or classical tablets. The most accessible are tablets and briquettes, which include naphthalene and camphor. According to the instructions, these items of protection must be placed in the upper part of the cabinets - heavy pairs of substances descend into the lower part, do not allow an adult individual to leave an egg laying. A significant disadvantage of using such agents is toxicity not only for moth, but also for people.
Progress does not stand still, and today you can buy plates that do not have an unpleasant smell. According to the annotation, the plate destroys caterpillars and adults. It is worth remembering that the life of the drug is very limited - no more than 6 months.
Sections from the moth, this is the most modern tool. They have a pleasant smell of lavender, mandarin or chamomile, which repels insects. Developed special plates to protect children's clothing.
What remedies will help?
Most of us would prefer the remedies of folk remedies to chemical repellents, which is not surprising. Folk remedies do not have toxicity, and the financial side of the issue is most beneficial. When choosing "grandmother's recipes," first of all it is necessary to build on the kind of insect with which it is necessary to fight - woolly or kitchen moths.
It is necessary to remember about the rule - most of the folk remedies only frightens off the moth, but does not destroy it!
- Oranges. Orange peel is a time-tested food moth remedy. In kitchen cabinets, where citrus peels are laid, the mole cannot lay eggs, as their smell is unpleasant for it. But if the infection has already happened, the citrus fruits are not helpful in the destruction of insect pests. Fresh crusts must be laid out in kitchen cabinets in the immediate vicinity of groceries, as the smell erodes, they must be replaced with new ones.
- Laundry soap. This tool can be used in the fight, both with the kitchen and clothes moth. The only disadvantage of this method of protection - the transfer of the smell of laundry soap clothes. For an adult moth, this smell is very unpleasant and frightening off, and is also capable of significantly limiting the movement of caterpillars. For pest control, pieces of fresh soap (!) Must be laid out in clothes pockets, kitchen cabinets.
- Lavender. This plant is very popular. Lavender - the owner of a persistent, strong odor that scares insects at all stages of development. For the destruction of moths with equal success can be used as dry inflorescences, and essential oils of lavender. Dry plants are placed in porous bags and left in the closets - on the shelves, between piles of linen. Bottles of essential oils with open caps are placed in cabinets, nightstands.
- Geranium. Many pests simply do not tolerate the smell of geranium, moth is no exception. For an apartment, it is enough to grow a pot of geraniums in each room. This plant has proved itself as an excellent "repeller" in relation to clothes and kitchen moths.
- Garlic and vinegar. Due to its strong odors, it is possible to use such tools only to combat food moths. It is hard to disagree that it would be extremely unpleasant to wear a fur coat that smelled of garlic and vinegar. Heads of garlic are recommended to be simply stored in a bedside table with cereals, storerooms. But the vinegar must be added to the water when cleaning the kitchen and processing cabinets.
- Exposure to temperature. Any kind of moth, especially apartment, is afraid of cold and heat. Even if larvae start in clothes, washing clothes in water more than 50 degrees will not leave a chance to survive by insects. The same can be said about the exposure to direct sunlight at an ambient temperature of more than 30 degrees. Eggs and larvae instantly die when exposed to temperatures below 10 degrees.
See also:Molpeseva: how to get rid?
It is always easier to prevent the appearance of pests than to fight them. For these reasons, it is necessary to constantly observe precautionary and preventive measures. It is mainly about edibles. You should not stock up on cereals for the year ahead, and buy better quality products from proven companies. Fruits and vegetables are not recommended to be stored outdoors. All products should be moved regularly. With regard to the prevention of the appearance of a clothes moth, the most effective measure is the regular airing of cabinets and the use of folk remedies - strongly smelling plants and citrus fruits.