Cats are very clean animals, but at some points of hygiene, they still need human help, which is most important when there is dirt in the ears. Pets cannot clean their own ears well, which accumulate moisture and dust. Also, cleaning the ears of the cat is needed in order to remove ear mites.
Can a cat clean its ears?
First of all, it is necessary to determine whether the animal needs this hygienic procedure or not. Therefore, during combing or playing, it is necessary to conduct a thorough examination of the auricle. If the pet behaves very restlessly, constantly shakes its head, scratches and rubs its ears, then it is time to clean it.
Many animals suffer from such an unpleasant disease as inflammation of the ears, which may appear as a result of the accumulation of a large amount of moisture. If the ear canal is reddened (in the most severe cases, pus is released), the cat is sick. This may be due to the fact that a small piece of a branch or a grass seed has fallen into the animal's ear. The foreign body injures the eardrum, inflammation begins, and the pet experiences fairly strong pain attacks. In this case, it is strictly forbidden to take independent actions, as one cannot do without the help of a doctor.
One of the most dangerous and main reasons for cleaning the ears of cats is ear mites. These microscopic creatures quite easily penetrate the ear, where they begin to actively injure the skin, as a result of which the animal begins to experience a strong feeling of itching.
Most often kittens encounter this nuisance - ear inflammation occurs, it begins to turn red, with time a discharge of dark-colored pus is observed, a gray crust appears, an unpleasant smell will be felt. The animal experiences severe pain and begins to scratch its ear with claws, behaves restlessly, shakes its head, constantly meows and hisses.
In this case, it is advisable to seek help from an experienced veterinarian who will prescribe the use of special ear drops with acacia that kill the parasite that caused the pain. This procedure is difficult, because before instillation of drops, it is necessary to remove all the pus.
Features of the hygienic procedure fluffy
Before the ticks settle in the ear cavity thoroughly, you can independently carry out a hygienic procedure for cleaning the ears, while it will pass fairly quickly and easily.
- It is most convenient to use a special liquid designed for cleaning cats' ears, which can be purchased at almost any veterinary pharmacy or pet shop. Also in this case, need and clean cotton swabs.
- Many cats do not like such procedures and can even scratch their master. To avoid painful scratches, you should swaddle your pet like a child - only a head should remain outside. Then the animal is put on the table.
- It is advisable to find an assistant for this hygienic procedure, since it will be necessary for someone to hold and turn his head. As soon as the preparatory procedures are completed, you need to carefully wrap the eyelet back and carefully treat it with a cotton swab dipped in a special cleaning solution. It is important to completely remove all brown plaque inside the ear. As it becomes contaminated, it is important to regularly change cotton buds.
- The dirtier the animal’s ears are, the more unpleasant the cleaning procedure will be for it, but it must be done. It is necessary to try to act very gently and carefully, while the wand can not be immersed too deep in the ear, otherwise there is a risk of damaging the eardrum.
- As soon as the procedure of cleaning the ears is fully completed, it is necessary to carefully powder the ears with a small amount of boric acid. For this purpose, small paper bags are made, then a little money is poured into them, and the ear canals are powdered.
- It is worth remembering that to get rid of the ear mite, this hygienic procedure should be carried out several times a week, then once a week, and then a month later. After the ears are completely clean, you can stop treatment. But still, it is best to consult an experienced doctor so as not to harm your pet with your actions.
How to clean the cat's ears if an ear mite is detected?
If an ear tick was found in the animal, you must first remove the pus completely, after which you can start cleaning the ears. To this end, you can use paraffin or olive oil.
In a saucepan with hot water, a bottle of oil is slightly warmed up so that it becomes warm. Next you need to take the animal in such a way that it could not escape (it is best to swaddle), deploy so that the auricle is clearly visible. Gently pour warm oil into your ear, then massage a little with your index finger and thumb. After the massage, you must gently squeeze the pus. Before you pour the oil, you need to make sure that it is warm, not hot, otherwise you can burn the animal.
After this procedure, the pet begins to shake his head intensely, so you need to hold him tight and remove the remnants of pus with oil with a clean swab or napkin. The same procedure must be repeated with the 2nd ear. Once the ears are clean and wiped dry, you can bury the medication (must be prescribed by a veterinarian).-
We clean the little kittens
With particular attention it is necessary to monitor the condition of the ears of small kittens and as a preventive measure to conduct regular inspections of the animal. It is important to remember that the ears are one of the most sensitive organs of cats, so when cleaning them you must follow all the rules and recommendations.
In the auricle of kittens there is no formation of deposits that hinder them. That is why there is no need to carry out frequent cleaning, it will be enough to wash the ears gently while bathing, but so that water does not enter the inside of the auricle. If the pet has been observed increased serotdelenie, which may be from nature, it is necessary to conduct regular hygienic cleaning of the ears.
The method of cleaning the ears of a kitten directly depends on their shape and size, and of course, on the breed of the animal. Sphynxes most often require this hygienic procedure, as they are distinguished by large ears and increased serotdelenie. Animals of this breed require daily ear cleaning.
Approximately 1 time in several weeks it is recommended to clean the ears of kittens of such breeds as Abyssins, Siams and Fold. There is a small amount of wool in their ears, so they do not have such a strong separation of sulfur.
When cleaning the ears or bathing the kitten, only proven and professional hygiene products should be used. It is best to consult a doctor who can recommend the most appropriate, taking into account the breed of pet.
Applied preparations for cleaning the ears should have antifungal effect, as a result of which a protective film is created on the surface of the skin. There are cases that the cleaning just does not give the desired result, so you can pour a small amount of used lotion directly into the ear and make a soft massage. Then you need to give the kitten an opportunity to twist his head.
The procedure for cleaning the ears of a kitten must be carried out very carefully, as there is a risk of causing serious harm to the eardrum. As soon as the bathing of the animal is completed, with the help of a clean cotton swab (you can take a tampon), the remnants of moisture that is in the auricle are gently removed. It is very important to carry out this procedure after each swim, so that it will be possible to prevent the onset of otitis.
To keep the kitten's ears clean, you can use 3% hydrogen peroxide solution with water. In the resulting solution, a clean swab (cotton pad) is moistened, after which the polluted auricle must be carefully processed - you need to start at the top and gradually move along the diameter of the auricle. Most importantly, do not lower the tampon inwards so as not to harm the eardrum.
It is the kittens that need special attention - ear cleaning should be done at least 2 times a month. After completing the procedure, the animal may behave restlessly for a while - rub the eyelet intensely and shake its head. The animal will calm down after a few hours.
Such a hygienic procedure, such as cleaning the ears, is mandatory for cats of any breed and age. But especially in need of pets with large ears, and kittens. Timely and quality cleaning will save your pet from a lot of unpleasant diseases.