A boiler, or simply a water heater, can become a real lifesaver when the hot water is turned off in the apartment for a long time. However, in order not to be mistaken, you need to choose the right machine. After all, each of its types can handle a different volume of water, and their sizes are different.
Types of boilers, their advantages and disadvantages
All boilers on the market can be divided into 2 types: flow and accumulative. Each of these types has its advantages and disadvantages.
The positive characteristics of cumulative boilers include:
- The ability to install the device in any room. This is done thanks to the low power of this type of water heater.
- Water heated in a boiler can be consumed both by means of a kitchen sink and a shower, that is, by several water points.
- Due to the low power, the device consumes relatively little electricity.
- Such a boiler does not require complex activities in the process of installation and connection.
- Thanks to the water heater of this type, you will have a large supply of hot water.
The disadvantages of the cumulative boiler specialists and users include the need for maintenance, the time spent waiting for the next batch of hot water (the amount of water you can use at the moment is limited) and the large dimensions of the device.
Direct competitors of storage water heaters - flow-through also have a number of advantages:
- These boilers are capable of serving unlimited hot water;
- They do not need maintenance;
- Have not such extensive dimensions.
Disadvantages of flow boilers:
- Such a boiler will not be able to supply water to several water points at the same time;
- Its use threatens with large energy costs;
- Having more power, it implies additional requirements when connecting.
The first criterion when choosing a water heater should be the number of people who will use this boiler, as well as the purpose of the application.
If water is needed for 1-2 people in order to take a shower and wash the dishes, then you will not spend a large amount of it. In the same case, if you take a bath every day there are more than 4 people, you need a boiler with a spacious tank.
How to choose a flow boiler?
The design of this boiler is small, you can even install it under the sink so that it is invisible. However, today there are many models of flow boilers that can even decorate the interior of the bathroom. The flow boiler is able to provide you with unlimited hot water. In addition, you will receive heated water instantly. Such a device is able to heat water to 55-60 degrees. Since the flow-through boiler consumes a lot of electricity, in order not to overestimate energy consumption, you can purchase an appliance that runs on gas.
Making a choice in favor of one or another instantaneous water heater, pay attention to its power. If you use only a shower and a kitchen sink, then you can do with an appliance with a capacity of 18-19 kW, if you like to take a bath, then it makes sense to purchase a heater with a capacity of 25-29 kW.
Consider storage water heaters
This type of boiler involves the intake of cold water inside, which will be heated in it with the help of heating elements. These water heaters can also be both electric and gas. The temperature of heated water in storage-type boilers can reach 85 degrees. In such a device, you can adjust the heating temperature yourself using an electronic control panel or manually.-
When choosing a storage water heater, you will have to focus not only on the cost and appearance of the device, but also on other characteristics.
Volume of the tank. Accumulative water heater can provide you with only a limited amount of water, so you need to choose it on the basis of its costs in the family every day. The more water you consume, the larger the tank should be.
Answering the question how to choose an electric boiler, pay attention to the type of heating element, which will be used for heating. In modern devices there can be 2 types: dry and wet.
Dry heaters are placed in a special box and are more reliable. They will last longer due to corrosion protection and scale formation. However, devices with such a heating element are more expensive.
Wet heating elements are located directly in the water. By their appearance they look like a kettle. These heating elements are prone to damage and frequent breakdowns, scale and corrosion appear faster on them. However, devices with wet heaters are more attractive in price.
Body material. This parameter is very important, since the material from which the boiler is made determines the degree of corrosion protection and service life, respectively. Storage boilers can be made of glass ceramics, titanium alloy or stainless steel. The most reliable and durable are stainless steel tanks. However, it should be noted that the walls in such devices are thinner, which means that they are more sensitive to pressure drops.
We connect the boiler correctly
- To independently connect the boiler, you will need the following tools: a perforator or a drill with a hammering function, a drill, a building level, pliers, a wrench, a hammer, a screwdriver, and a soldering iron for plastic pipes. In addition, you will need fasteners that are provided complete with a boiler.
- First you need to fix on the wall or the device itself a special thick metal strip. If you fix it to the wall, then install the equipment on it. If you immediately attached the bar to the boiler, then you will only have to fix the entire structure on the wall. In any of these cases, you will need to use the construction level, since the tank of the device must be positioned strictly vertically or horizontally.
- When you have installed the boiler in place, work on connecting it to the water supply system and the power supply network. Connecting the boiler to the water supply system should not cause any difficulties, as the detailed instructions are attached to the device. First you need to install a filter on cold water. If you use only the heater, then the pipe through which the central hot water is supplied must be cut off.
- The pipe that leads to the boiler should not be used for anything else. The pipes used for the connection must be plastic with reinforcement, and the adapters and taps for the supply must be brass.
- Connection scheme starts from the bottom and goes up. It is simple at all, especially if the equipment already has a cable with a plug. In this case, it is enough to simply provide a separate cable for the boiler. It is important to remember about grounding. If it is, then you just need to connect to it, if not, then you need expert advice.
As for the reviews of the boilers, many users are satisfied with their purchase. People are pleased with the fact that when turning off the hot water, they do not have to heat it on the stove. However, many complaints cause various failures, which when buying even the question. Often, after such breakdowns, the device is not even repairable. But, nevertheless, users most often indicate that various water heaters work flawlessly for about 2 years.
Of course, first of all, such a device as a boiler is needed in houses and apartments that do not have a central hot water supply. But even if these benefits of civilization are present, the water heater will help you comfortably survive the interruptions in the supply of hot water.