Plants that are successfully used in cooking may also have medicinal properties. They include rosemary, a culture that is not only impressive in its elegance and beauty, but also famous for its unique properties.
What is rosemary?
Rosemary is a perennial green shrub with a unique history. According to one legend, it was presented to the Aphrodite couple in love, as a symbol of their eternal love. In ancient Rome, rosemary was believed to be a magical plant, imbued with the power of the sea, blue flowers.
In our climate, it is usually a home plant due to its capriciousness in relation to temperature. Most often rosemary is grown at home in a pot or in specially equipped greenhouses. In the rest, the plant withstands various actions of pests and diseases.
- Culture, namely, decoctions from it can have a hypertensive, tonic, mild analgesic effect. Also, the broth has a choleretic effect.
- Rosemary baths with neurosis, gout can be used. It is noticed that the flower has a beneficial effect on quick-tempered and unbalanced people.
- Women washed a decoction of rosemary to give the skin a uniform color, in order to get rid of redness.
- Also in cosmetology, rosemary is used to strengthen hair, to give them beauty and natural shine, it can be used to treat dandruff.
- In cooking, rosemary is used as a seasoning. The leaves of the plant with a fresh, slightly bitter taste will give the dishes of meat, salads a very savory taste. Rosemary tastes like a complex mixture of lemon, pine and eucalyptus. It is used as a complex component for the preparation of national seasonings, for example, "Provence herbs".
- Rosemary has long been used in marinating lamb, rabbit, to beat the specific smell of meat and give the dish a forest flavor.
- Due to its unique properties, rosemary can be used as a natural preservative for pickling products.
How to grow rosemary in the apartment?
The apartment can be grown - rosemary medicinal (fragrant). This is done with the help of seeds, transplantation of an adult plant or cuttings. For beginners, it is best to start caring for an adult plant; for more or less experienced flower growers, it is quite possible to begin by growing the plant with cuttings or seeds. In any case, buying products for seedlings is best in specialized stores.
Rosemary is a Mediterranean plant that prefers warmth and sunshine. It is extremely difficult for the plant to tolerate temperature drops. Pot with rosemary, it is recommended to place the solar window. It is noticed that the more culture received sunlight, the more essential oils will accumulate in its leaves.
Instructions for growing rosemary from seed:-
- Having thought up a place for cultivation, it is necessary to prepare seeds and soil for sowing. The soil for rosemary should be light and nutritious.
- All seeds must first be soaked in warm water for several days for better germination.
- For better growth, you can build a small greenhouse, but experienced growers say that this condition is not a necessity. If, after all, it was decided to cover the plant, then you first need to water it, but do not make a "swamp".
- At the time of seed germination, they need to pay more attention. Just at this time, the shoots are the most fragile, in order for them not to die, proper care is necessary. It is possible to air a greenhouse only during the day, exclusively on warm days, so that the plant does not experience a strong temperature difference. Only young plants are fragile and capricious, which cannot be said about already matured.
- When the length of rosemary reaches 10 cm, the growth of the plant has noticeably slowed down, a suitable time comes for the transfer of rosemary to larger dishes. Repot the plant in a separate pot, you must be careful - without hurting the earthy lump.
- After transplantation, the plant must be watered and left in a dark place for a while.
- Only a few days later, rosemary can be put on the window sill, while it should not be exposed to direct sunlight.
Rules for the care of rosemary:
- Growing rosemary at home implies wintering the plant. The best temperature for this can be considered 5 - 15 degrees. Wintering is necessary for flowering crops next year.
- In winter, daylight is too short, because it is recommended to extend it with a special lamp.
- Rosemary needs moderate watering. It is necessary to adhere to the "golden mean", it is impossible to allow overflow and drying of the soil. If rosemary does not get enough moisture, the leaves of the plant begin to turn yellow, but if it is poured, the leaves may fall off altogether. It is worth remembering that the culture may well endure a brief drought.
- In the spring it is also necessary to cut rosemary - for thick growth. Every 5 - 7 years, it is necessary to carry out procedures for rejuvenating pruning plants. In February - March shoots are cut off near the surface of the earth. If the culture has bare stems, this indicates the need for pruning.
- A transplant of a plant into a new substrate is necessary approximately once every 1 to 2 years. Experienced growers remind you that you need to equip a place with a good drainage system for rosemary.
- In the period from May to September, when there is an active growing season, the plant needs feeding, it is best to use mineral and organic fertilizers. Rosemary calcium is essential.
- Rosemary can be cut off when the plant grows by 15 cm, while you need to pinch the tip so that it tilts better.
Nevertheless, the cultivation of rosemary seeds is quite laborious, the easiest way to plant a plant is by cuttings. But for experienced gardeners, any of the options will not be difficult. But in your home there will always be an elegant rosemary bush, which will be useful to you, both in the kitchen and for the phyto-first-aid kit.