Melon - a useful and very good vegetable on the summer cottage. This is a southern product. But breeders are constantly working on the cultivation of new melons, so that residents of middle latitudes can grow it in their country house.
What are melons?
All melons are divided into two groups: real melons and cantaloupes.
- The former have oval, spherical or oblong fruits. They have a flat or ribbed surface, maybe with a mesh pattern.
- Cantaloupes are ribbed, slightly compressed, their fruits are lumpy, uneven.
Melons are very rich in varietal diversity.
Growing melon: ngrowing seeds
- Melons are propagated by the seed method. To do this, take melon seeds from the harvest of the past season and prepare for sowing.
- To improve the germination of seeds should be held in a weak solution of potassium permanganate for 20 minutes.
- Then soak them at a temperature of 20 ° C -25 ° C for 12 hours. Every four hours, check the seeds.
- After soaking the seeds, spread them on a dry cloth. As soon as sprouts appear, seeds can be planted.
Growing melon seedlings
Melon seeds can germinate at a temperature of 15 ° C. However, the optimum temperature for germination is 25 ° C. Due to this temperature, the seeds germinate within two days.
The soil for planting seeds should be fertile and loose.The following earthen mixture is most often used: sod land, peat, sand and humus, taken in equal quantities.
Boxes with seedlings placed in a sunny place in the house. If this is not possible, then you can use artificial lighting. Light is necessary for seedlings about 12 hours a day.-
Planting melon seedlings in open ground
At the age of 30 - 35 days old seedlings are planted in open ground.to a permanent place. If the seedlings are overexposed, then the yield of melons can noticeably decrease.
Planted seedlings shallow, root collar is not buried to avoid fungal diseases of young plants. To grow melons choose well lit places on your site.
Usually care for melon in the mid-latitude is ensuring watering, feeding and nipping plants.
- Melons pollinated by bees. Therefore, in their absence, pollination is carried out artificially: We transfer the pollen from male flowers with a piece of cotton wool or a brush on the stigma of a female flower.
- Watering seedlings for a few weeks only warm water(22 ° С -25 ° С). Otherwise, the melon can die.
- In hot weather, water a melon in the evening. You can pour cool water in the morning.
- During the flowering melon stop watering.
- When the ovary appears, resume watering and increase it.
- Periodically water the plants light solution of potassium permanganate. It serves as the prevention of various diseases.
- If for some reason you are leaving for a long time, do not worry about the melon. She is enough drought-resistant culture.
- In addition to watering, melon is necessary feed up. Do this before flowering plants, as well as after fruit set (more intensively). To do this, use, as a rule, liquid manure.
- Warm weather contributes to better melon yield, as it likes dry air.
- Depending on the melon variety, one or several fruits form on the plant.(up to five). Some gardeners do not consider it necessary to tie the fruit. Because the stem of a plant can withstand a weight of up to 4-5 kg. If there are more fruits on the plant, then the extra ones die off. You can also clean them yourself.
Melon - an extremely useful vegetable in each area. Melon is especially useful for children and grandparents. After all, it has a lot of iron. Recommend melon to eat and pregnant. However, overeating melons is fraught with indigestion. Any, even the most useful product should be eaten in moderation.