Aquaria in our country has been and remains a very popular hobby. What only ornamental fish are grown at home in glass tanks. In order for the fish to feel comfortable, they create special favorable conditions: ecosystem, climatic conditions, nutrient medium. In this article we will talk about the care and maintenance of fish neon.
The neon aquarium fish is perhaps the brightest representative of a large family of characteristic fish. Small in size individuals have a very expressive color, are characterized by incredible mobility, vigor, herd instinct. If you have a desire to have such pets, they do not have to be placed in a very large tank, because the fry are small (no more than 4 cm in length). In addition, they have excellent adaptability, which makes the care of decorative aquatic creatures easy. Note that this factor is a major factor for many aquarists.
To make neon feel great, you shouldn’t hook up too large representatives of ornamental aquatic fauna with it. Neighborhood with predatory fish is also not desirable. Neons like to gather in small shoals. Therefore, start several neonchikov. In the company of fish are not afraid to appear in all its glory.
In a natural environment, neon chooses areas with dense greens, dark ground, snags and stones. When modeling the appropriate ecosystem, do not forget about it. In favorable conditions, individual individuals live up to 3-4 years. However, like many ornamental representatives of aquatic fauna, neons are prone to disease. This leads to the gradual blanching of the color of the fish with imminent death (unfortunately, plistiforosis is incurable and very dangerous).
Do neons breed in captivity?
To distinguish between male and female is difficult, but possible. Especially clearly visible differences in the pack. Females have a slightly plump abdomen, while males remain slim. Although the fish are unpretentious in care, for breeding neons should be placed in special conditions:
- Separate tank with soft water 1-2 dGH and pH 5.0-6.0 (in a more rigid eggs do not inseminate). The volume of fluid - 10-20 liters.
- The walls of the aquarium should be protected from direct sunlight. A cover is installed on top: neons tend to jump out during spawning.
- The sprayer with the minimum current is established.
- Water temperature - 25 degrees.
- Mossy plants are needed for the convenience of laying eggs.
- Feeding for the spawning period is abundant, alive.
- As soon as the eggs are released (and this happens early in the morning and lasts up to 3 hours), the fish should be deposited. One female is able to bite from 50 to 150 small transparent eggs. By the way, the reproduction of one pair can be up to 5-6 spawning at intervals of a week. However, "parents" need rest from time to time.
- Drain the water from the aquarium to the level of 70-100 mm and hide the tank in a dark place.
After 4-5 days from the start of breeding, neons appear from the eggs in the form of larvae. After three days, the fry will make their first swim. Make sure that no stagnant film forms on the surface of the water, otherwise kids will not be able to take a sip of air to fill the swim bladder.-
Food for fry should be very small. Abundant feeding - 4-5 times a day. Increase fluid volume from time to time.
Neon fish: maintenance and care
As mentioned, the neon aquarium fish does not require specific conditions and special care. Even beginner aquarists will be able to cope with this task.
- Water. Must be soft.
- Storage tank. Large colonies can live in a large aquarium. In the small, no more than 5-6 individuals will feel comfortable.
- Temperature. Normal water temperature is from 18 to 23 degrees. The maximum allowed is 28 degrees. The high temperature does not favor spawning, and the fish age more quickly.
- Ecosystem. More greenery, snags, earthy bottom - neonchiki love the contrast, so they are more beautiful. You can create a light current, but there should be quiet backwaters in the aquarium.
- Nutrition. In the diet unpretentious. They perceive absolutely any food for ornamental aquarium fish. Do not overfeed by neon, as the fish is prone to corpulence. Obesity prevents normal spawning, which adversely affects the health and life of the female.
- Population Neons love to flock. Therefore, it is better to start several individuals at once.
- Neighbors. It gets along well with the same peace-loving, not predatory small aquarium fish. It may coexist with larger ones, but they should not be hostile. Ideal neighbors can be called guppies, swordtails, iris, barbs, etc.
With proper care and compliance with the rules of content, neons can live for several years. The fish is pretty shy, so you shouldn’t create stressful situations for her. Aroused neon can lose color. In a quiet state, these decorative aquarium fish are very beautiful, thanks to its bright luminous color, which stretches along the whole body.