Many housewives love to grow potted flowers. Everyone knows that home plants, especially exotic ones, require careful maintenance. Improper care, watering or transplanting can cause the leaves to fade and the buds do not ripen. Especially capricious is considered an orchid - an exotic tropical plant with unusual flowering and beautiful leaves. In this article you will learn about why orchid leaves wither, what to do if a plant is sick.
What causes orchid leaves to wilt?
Most often housewives grow Orchid Phalaenopsis at home. A very common problem in the care of this flower is leaf wilting. There are many causes of deciduous leaf cover of orchids. The main ones include:
- incorrect or unsystematic watering;
- violation of temperature;
- excessive or insufficient amount of moisture;
- improper fertilizer;
- violation of the regime of feeding;
- the selection of unfortified soil for planting;
- root disruption.
Falenopsis orchid leaves fade: what to do?
Under natural conditions, the root system of an orchid, including Phalaenopsis, is located outside. It is with the help of the roots that the orchid is attached to the sheer cliffs. At home, keep the roots bare is not recommended because they will constantly dry out. This can lead to the development of diseases and the death of the plant. It is very important to maintain a constant level of moisture in the soil and choose a suitable pot for growing orchids. Despite the fact that the Phalaenopsis orchid, like other plants of this family, is considered to be thermophilic, it is better to hide it from direct sunlight.
Often during the cultivation of orchids housewives struggle with the problem of leaf wrinkling. If you notice that the orchid has wrinkled leaves, this may be the first sign of the development of the disease, which will lead to the fall of the leaf cover and the death of the plant. At this stage, you need to take all necessary measures to reanimate the flower.
Remember that lower leaves periodically fall away. Normal is considered wilting of the lower 2-3 leaves. As a rule, this occurs during the growing season or after the complete cessation of flowering.
Orchid treatment methods
So, if the orchid leaves are wrinkled: what to do? As soon as you notice the slightest signs of orchid disease, take immediate action to save the plant. Let's look at a few common orchid treatment regimens (such actions can be performed with Phalaenopsis orchid):-
- If the leaves start to wither and then fall off, check the condition of the root system. Perhaps the roots due to excess moisture began to rot. In this case, carefully remove the orchid from the pot and inspect the root system. Remove diseased processes, process healthy ones with cinnamon and transplant into a new fertilized substrate.
- Leaves may fade due to excess sunlight. In this case, move the orchid away from the window. You can put a flower in the shade for some time and observe the state of its leafy cover.
- The plant constantly needs to provide good ventilation. To do this, open the windows and ventilate the room or turn on the air conditioner. In no case do not create a draft, as it has a detrimental effect on the orchid.
- Periodically conduct dressing. It is best to use fertilizers designed exclusively for feeding orchids. In case of their absence, you can use the universal fertilizer for indoor plants.
How to save orchid leaves?
Mostly in the spring and autumn, the mistress can observe leaf rot. Leaves can rot completely or only in the core. The presence of such signs indicates the defeat of the plant fungus. Fungi of various kinds multiply as a result of improper care of the plant. It is in autumn and spring that the orchid lacks nutrients, light and heat.
Inspect the plant. Remember that you can only save rotting leaves within 7-10 days. After that, the orchid will completely wither. Pay attention to the state of the substrate and the frequency of irrigation. Orchid should be watered as the surface layer of the soil dries. If water accumulates in the core of the leaves, it must be removed. To do this, you can use a napkin.
Feed the plant with special fertilizers, the action of which is aimed at the destruction of the fungus. Ventilate the room well and set a certain, preferably constant, temperature mode.
Orchid - very beautiful tropical indoor flower with exotic leaves. It requires careful maintenance. If you follow all the rules of care, then this plant will delight you for a long time with its flowering and luxurious deciduous cover. If you show signs of disease, by all means take measures to eliminate the causes of the withering or rotting of orchid leaves.