The word aglaonema is translated from Greek as "a brilliant stamen". This bright representative of tropical flora will decorate any home. The most important thing is to master the simple rules of plant care.
Aglaonema: general information
Aglaonema, a representative of the family of aromatic evergreen plants. They grow in the tropics in the Philippines and other islands of the Indian and Pacific Oceans. In their homeland, the grassy perennial aglaonema grows along the banks of rivers and springs. American breeders bred a large number of plant varieties, with leaves of different color.
They are beautiful, durable and shiny, with a raised vein. Their length is from 20 to 40 cm.
Such plants like heat, do not tolerate smoke and windy conditions. Aglaonemameet tree base at the stem and leaf stalk type.
Features of fit and care
Speaking about the proper care of aglaonema, several conditions should be taken into account.
- Temperature. The optimal temperature for the development of aglaonema is 19 degrees. It must be remembered that the plant does not tolerate drafts.
- Lighting. In the hot summer season, protect the flower from direct sunlight. In winter, create additional lighting with artificial light.
- Watering. From early spring to late autumn, water plentifully, in winter - less. Watering is carried out only with warm soft water at room temperature. Maintain air humidity.
- Soil and fertilizer. The soil should consist of a sheet, sod, peat and sand mixture in the ratio 2: 1: 1: 1. For better growth of the plant, add brick chips or finely ground charcoal to the soil. From spring to early seed, feed aglaonema 1 time in 2 weeks with mineral fertilizers.
- Plant reproduction. Aglaonema is propagated by cuttings, offspring, seeds. In order to obtain new sprouts, in the spring, cuttings are warmed in the soil with the help of fertilizers. All plant species can be grafted. For a vertical view of aglaonema, a significant part of the stem is cut off at its very foot.
- Then the stalk is planted in a separate tall pot. Under the ground, the uterine part of the rhizome of the plant forms new branches of the shoots. From the buds on the base of the stem grow strong roots. Watering the new cutting, planted in pots, produced with caution. It should be fully rooted cutting and prevent wetting. Additional substrate is used only in loose form.
- Sowing. The way of sowing seeds is quite simple. There is such a landing at the beginning of February - the end of March. Seeds are seated in a small container with loose soil. Necessary abundant watering with warm water. After the tank is advised to cover with glass to create a greenhouse effect. The earth must be moist all the time.
- Airing is permissible 2 times a day. When the first shoots appear, you need to transplant them into separate 7 cm pots, provide watering and protection from direct sunlight. In the summer, plants are kept on windows facing north-west.
- Transfer. Due to slow growth, plant transplantation is possible in case of emergency. It takes place in the spring. Young shoots are transplanted after a year, older - after 3 years, adult plants - once in 5 years. Put aglaonema in narrow pots. It is necessary that the flower grow in crampedness.
Flowering is rare. The inflorescence of a growing aglaonema, is a cob with a green-white peel. Flowers develop in 1-4 pieces. in the sinuses at the top of the sheet. Distinguish inflorescences club-shaped, cylindrical, thin, thick. Berries are formed juicy, ruby or orange color. Contain 1 seed, ripen within 7 months. The plant with berries looks original and decorative.
What to do if aglaonema leaves turn yellow?
If the aglaonema has yellowed leafy plates, this means that the plant suffers from waterlogging and cold. To restore the life of almost dead leaves, you need to move the container with a flower in a warm place and stop watering.
If wilting is observed, it means that there is a lack of heat and light. Check for draft drafts.-
When the leaves turn pale, improve the feeding and increase the intensity of minerals in the soil. If they began to dry out, change the situation and move the container with aglaonema to the ventilated room.
A white-yellow bloom appeared on the leaf plates - perhaps it was burn wounds from a direct stream of sunlight. It is necessary to carry the plant away from the sun, water it with room water, after it cools.
If you noted slow growth and saw brown edges on the leaves, the matter is in hard, too cold water. Reduce stiffness with a small dose of citric acid.
The leaves turn black from overcooling, gradually increase the temperature in the room, not exceeding 19 degrees.
Remember, the plant can be harmed by: aphid, chervets, scythosis, whitefly, red spider mites, thrips, root mealy beetle. In the case of parasites, wash the plant under a warm shower and treat with Fitoverm, Aktellik, Intavir. Spraying spend Karbofosom or Spark (1/10 tabl. On 1 l).
Subject to lagoon and fungal diseases. Leaves are affected by gray rotten spot. To prevent death, they are treated with fungicidal drugs.
Aglaonema is an exquisite and decorative flower. She, undoubtedly, will fit into an interior of any dwelling. And caring for a plant is quite simple. The most important thing is moderate watering, warmth and lack of drafts.