Baths used many thousands of years ago. Marble, wood, steel, copper were used for their manufacture. Today, the most popular materials are cast iron and acrylic, while each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages. How to choose a bath for the home?
Bath production technology
Cast iron baths were made in the 19th century. The process of their manufacture is quite laborious. They make such plumbing in special factories, of which there are not so many.
Since cast iron can not be called plastic, baths from it can not boast a variety of forms. Only rectangular products are produced that do not always fit the design of the room. Changes may concern only the length and width of the bath.
What plumbing looks like and how long it will last will determine the quality of enamel. It happens:
- uniform matt;
Enamel is applied in layers. First, the liquid layer is laid, which is then fixed with powder. An important element of production is titanium salts, which are able to extend the life of the product. The Russian manufacturers can find the addition of silver ions in the enamel. They clean and disinfect water. If there is a question about choosing a cast-iron bath, you can buy plumbing with silver-plated coating.
A few decades ago, acrylic bathtubs began to leave the factory conveyors. Pros and cons have these products.
Acrylic is a polymer. It is made of a powder substance, which when mixed with a special liquid turns into plastic. Baths are made from polymethyl methacrylate. Sheets of plastic are placed in thermal cabinets, where the material is heated to 150-180 degrees. Then, using high atmospheric pressure, it is given the desired shape. The bottom of the bath is reinforced with reinforcing material (metal rods or chipboard), and fiberglass and resin are applied to the walls.
Since acrylics are very expensive, manufacturers of baths began to add ABS / PMMA sanitary plastics to it. This reduces the cost of the product and makes acrylic more flexible. Thanks to the plastic in its composition it is possible to solve more complex design problems. This should be considered when choosing a bath. The more elaborate its shape, the more plastic is added to acrylic.
As the material, acrylic has many advantages:
- long time does not wear out;
- long keeps shine;
- not deformed;
- acquires the temperature of the room in which it is located;
- under the influence of high temperatures perfectly amenable to molding;
- resistant to ultraviolet and infrared rays;
- does not give in to corrosion;
- possesses the increased resilience to chemicals.
He has flaws. Cons acrylic bath:
- it is painted under the influence of extraneous dyes;
- careless handling is easily scratched and damaged.
10 signs of a quality bath
When choosing a cast-iron or acrylic bath, take into account not only their pros and cons, but also other criteria for the purchase of plumbing fixtures - they will help you navigate.
Term of use
Cast iron bath is more durable. Acrylic is also considered to be a durable material, but it is very difficult to find only an acrylic bath in stores. The most commonly sold products with the addition of plastic, which can not boast of wear resistance.
Ease of care
If you do not like to do the cleaning in the bathroom often, it is better to purchase cast-iron plumbing. Dirt on it almost does not accumulate, and it washes easily. The product from acrylic will have to be cleaned almost daily, and the dirt from it is washed much more difficult.
The sound of pouring water in the cast-iron baths does not resonate and is even muffled due to graphite additives.
Cast iron bath is much harder. The weight of the lightest can be from 120 to 150 kg. To transport and install it, you need several people. Acrylic bath weighs up to 30 kg. Even a woman can lift and move such plumbing.-
Shape and color
The variety of shapes and shades offered by manufacturers is much greater among acrylic baths. If you are thinking of a non-standard bathroom design, only acrylic will be able to satisfy your wishes.
When buying a bath, consider the accuracy of its future users. Do not throw cigarette butts into the acrylic bath: plastic melts easily. Acrylic is often scratched, but plumbing from this material is easy to repair, lightly rubbing the surface with sandpaper. The enamel of the cast-iron bath can also be damaged or split off, but for this it is necessary to drop a very heavy object into it.
Acrylic bath can be painted, if soak colored clothes in it.
In a bath of acrylic water temperature drops by 1 degree for half an hour. Cast iron baths are able to retain heat for much longer.
Acrylic plumbing is smooth, but its surface does not involve sliding. In the cast-iron bath should be more careful: on the enamel is easy to slip.
High-quality acrylic product is much more expensive than cast iron. If you take a cheap acrylic bath, it means sanitary plastics are added to it.
Comparison of these parameters will help determine whether the cast-iron or acrylic bathtub will be in your home.
Everyone chooses for himself ...
What is better, acrylic or cast iron bath, show and customer reviews. Practice shows that in many respects the choice and its results depend on the place of residence and living conditions.
- Acrylic bath is a great choice for a home with an exquisite design and modern design.
- Products made of acrylic are indispensable in high-rise conditions, if the owner lives on the top floor.
- Cast iron bath is suitable for people who prefer ecological products with increased strength.
- The product of cast iron "stand" is not too neat owners; can act as a container for soaking clothes.
- The most budget version of the bath is a bath made of acrylic with the addition of plastic, but the quality of such a product will be lower. People with wealth can afford plumbing from acrylic. Cast iron bath is a choice of middle-income buyers.
How to quickly repair the bath?
If the old plumbing has fallen into disrepair, and it is expensive to buy a new one, an acrylic insert will help the bath. The feedback on this invention is positive: it becomes an excellent alternative to expensive repair or replacement.
To insert an acrylic insert makes sense only in a cast-iron bath. If the old acrylic has deteriorated, it is better to buy a new one. But the unfit "cast-iron lady" he will give a new life. The advantages of the liner are obvious:
- cast-iron bath will serve as a solid body, and the new acrylic can always be replaced;
- easy to change the slope of the bottom;
- installation will require only 2-2.5 hours;
- liner can serve for about 15 years;
- Acrylic retains heat well.
Technology installation liner:
- if the cast-iron bath is built in, the liner can be trimmed to the desired size;
- all the enamel of the old bath closes and the liner is reinforced with a special adhesive;
- necessary parts of the drain are attached;
- after installation, the liner is filled with water, which ensures its tight fit to the surface of the housing.
Modern buyers increasingly prefer acrylic baths. The advantages and disadvantages of the cast-iron and acrylic products are their own, but the ease of installation, easy disassembly, along with the excellent quality of the acrylic product, gradually displace the cast-iron plumbing from the dwellings. If a homeowner does not regret the money for a high-quality acrylic bath or an insert made from this material, then he will certainly not regret his decision.