Each owner of a personal plot thinks about how to decorate the territory belonging to him. The easiest, but effective way to solve this problem is to create a bed of continuous flowering of perennial plants. It can be the pearl of the site and its main decoration. So, what should be the perennials for perennials?
Rules for creating a flower garden and competent selection of plants
Before proceeding to the selection of plants for flower beds, decide where it will be. It all depends on the size of the site and how it is built up. For example, if the house is erected in the background, and there is a large free platform in front of it, you can make a choice in favor of a round, oval or figured flower bed, located in the center of the courtyard or framing the driveway.
This flowerbed can be created from a combination of imperial grouse, tulip and hyacinths. And in order for your creation to be pleased with its decorativeness not only in the spring, supplement the composition with hosts, various types of stevie, decorative yarrow, etc.
For small plots, a flower garden located near the house will be a real salvation. When choosing this option in the background you can plant tall plants: lupins, delphiniums, clematis or other vines. The center of the composition can be hosts that retain their decoration to the very cold. And the foreground will be filled with ground cover plants: splinters, awl-shaped phloxes, etc.
The rules for selecting plants are simple: you are required to choose the types of flowers that distinguish the same requirements for the composition of the soil, the degree of light, frequency and abundance of watering.
Perennial classification by degree of care
To avoid difficulties in the care of selected plants, be guided by your experience as an amateur gardener. To a bed of perennials for beginners delighted the eye with bright colors, the plants should receive full care. By the level of requirements, the plants used for it can be divided into the following groups:
- unpretentious to the degree of illumination, soil and watering. This group includes aconite, various types of geranium and stonecrop, brunners, geleniums, perennial poppies, gentians and doronicum, chisel, mallow, etc. They do not require constant attention, annual seating and other troubles;
- moderately labor intensive. For flowers belonging to this group, the main thing is the right choice of soil and other planting conditions. In addition, in order to prevent the thickening and loss of ornamentation, individual varieties of perennials should be seated at least once every 3 years. Choose what you like: daylilies, watersheds, aquilegia, arabis and garden cornflowers, bluebells, Turkish and royal carnations, gaillardias, irises, delphiniums, phloxes, echinacea, sage, etc .;
- laborious. If you need an unpretentious bloom of perennials of continuous flowering, it is better to develop these crops gradually. With all their decorativeness, they require daily scrupulous care. They must be protected from direct sunlight, frost, pests and diseases. The plants of this group include bulbous and tuberous: lilies, dahlias, gladioli, hyacinths, etc. Roses, begonias, evening primrose and other flower bed decorations are also distinguished by their demanding conditions for their growth and care.
Creating bright color accents
To flower bed pleasing to the eye, and did not make the impression of floral chaos, should carefully approach the selection of shades of the plants you need. To do this, at the stage of drawing up the planting scheme, it is necessary to use colored pencils, having painted a schematic representation of a flower bed and assessed the compatibility of shades. After that, you can take into account the following generalized pattern of shades of the main decorative and deciduous perennials:
- various shades of yellow: heleniums, rudbeckia, gemerocallis, solidago, etc .;
- white: white-bonded varieties of host and variegated garden milk eaters, Achilles, etc .;
- red: small-scale painter, heathers, new Belgian asters or New England asters;
- violet: hosts are lanceoliferous, variegated varieties of this group of plants, part of aconites;
- Blue: irises, astilbe, cornflowers, horned aconites.
Of course, this is not a complete list of perennial plants that are suitable for creating beds of permanent flowering. You will be able to supplement it at your discretion, focusing on the classification of plants according to the degree of their simplicity. And then your perennial peasants for perennials for their beauty will not yield to compositions created by the world's leading landscape designers!
Sketching flower beds
Having decided on the selection of plants, draw a diagram of your future flower garden. So it will be easier for you to decide on its size, shape, location relative to the main building, etc.
So that in the future it was possible to quickly and easily transfer the created project to the site, divide it into separate squares. Do the same procedure for the entire site, selecting the appropriate scale. So it will be easier to determine the exact location of various plants. You can mark these zones with lime powder or with pegs connected with each other with a string.
Multi-tiered planting - a guarantee of flower garden showiness
The multilevel flowerbed allows others to enjoy its beauty from any angle. And the plants themselves at the same time get the maximum amount of sunlight.
If you need an oval or circular flowerbed of perennials, tall plants such as mallow or delphiniums should be placed in the center. Surround them with hosts, asters or other colors that differ in medium height. And low ground cover plants complete the picture. For beds of rectangular shape or landings bordering various buildings, tall plants are placed in the background. Some of them can be placed on the sides - as original accents.
Please note that your flowers will gradually grow. Leave their living space for them, temporarily filling the gaps with bright annuals: marigolds, zinnias, nasturtiums, etc.
Flowerbeds continuous flowering for different seasons
- Spring. You can use daffodils, early tulips, hyacinths, primroses, sprouts, forget-me-nots and pansies to create such a seasonal flower bed. In general, you will need any early flowers, pleasing the eye with an organic combination of shades.
- Summer. At this time of the year, you can use petunias and calendula, zinnias and godetii, alissum, roses, sunny rudbeckia and multicolored gladioli, as well as hydrangeas, lilies, daylilies, etc. Florists deserve special attention when they have a long flowering period. These include unpretentious garden geranium, ornamental yarrow, as well as catnip, dushenik and many other plants.
- Autumn.The end of the season is able to please you with bright colors. The main thing - to pre-pick the flowers, blooming with the onset of autumn. It can be dwarf and tall chrysanthemums, stonecrop, dahlias and cannes, rudbekki, geleniumy and many original ornamental herbs.
- Winter.In this harsh time of the year, your flower garden can be decorated with decorative cabbage.
No less elegant looks amazing flower - hellebore, able to maintain its beauty even under the snow cover.
Schemes of simple beds of continuous flowering for beginners
If you need a simple but effective bloom of continuous flowering of perennials, the schemes prepared by experts will allow you to completely transform your plot.
The easiest option flower garden
The pink-purple blotches in the composition you have created will allow introducing panicled phloxes (1) and pink astilbe (2). The first plant should be planted in mid-March or early September, in well-drained soil. The second is planted in the spring, to maintain long-term flowering, it is necessary to regularly loosen the soil and feed.
Violet notes in your flower garden are provided with day-lily, planted in early spring in organic clay and a drainage layer of loams.
Lavender silver geyhera (4) will give your flower bed originality. To maintain the decorativeness of this plant is planted in light soil. Pay special attention to drainage quality.
Completing the picture of an ideal bed of continuous flowering for novice gardeners is a magnificent purple geranium with magnificent flowering (5).
Ideal flower garden for a brightly lit area
The first in this flowerbed is the catchment (1), which will please you with original bells in the middle of spring. After him, fragrant hybrid tea-roses will substitute their petals for the sun (6). The fire notes of the flowerbed are provided by daylilies (4) and gaillardia (5). They will delight you from May to August.
In June, the sunflower (8) is dissolved, and in July, the scarlet laureate (2) is up to 1.5 m high. The background plant, the miscanthus of the Chinese (3), competes with its beauty. And undersized thyme (7) and sage (9) play the role of a curb.
The age of many plants is short. But, having correctly planned your flower garden, you will be able to admire it from early spring to the first frost. This is possible, even if your gardener's experience is very modest: ready-made diagrams and expert advice will help you to cope with a responsible task. Good luck in mastering landscape design!