Recently, there is an acute problem of allergic reactions in children. Parents in an attempt to solve it are faced with a variety of antihistamines, which are sold in pharmacies. Among all the medications, a new generation of remedies can be distinguished - drops for children Zyrtec. We will talk about them today.
Children's drops Zyrtec: general characteristics of the drug
Zyrtec is an antihistamine remedy recommended by the International Mother and Child Institute as effective for combating any manifestations of allergy. The drug blocks the action of peripheral histamine H1 receptors, which are the basis of an allergic substance.
Zyrtec is produced in the form of white coated tablets and drops. It is the drops that are most often prescribed to children, since many babies cannot swallow the capsules, and crushing them leads to the loss of the required dosage. And drops can be added to drink and food.
The advantage of this drug over its analogues is that Zyrtec starts to work within 20 minutes after administration and reaches its peak within an hour. Duration of action is about 24 hours. While other analogues require constant use throughout the day. After discontinuation of the drug is excreted in the urine unchanged. In this case, the antihistamine effect is retained by the body for 3 days.
Also Zyrtec does not cause addiction and in small doses does not provoke the appearance of side effects.
Instructions for use drops
Zyrtec prescribed to children in the form of drops in the manifestation of any allergic reactions of the body. It reduces the appearance of rash, body temperature, itching and helps to cope with the rest of the allergy symptoms.
Indications for use:
- Chronic and seasonal exacerbations of rhinitis. Characteristic symptoms of allergic rhinitis: nasal congestion, continuous sneezing, itching in the nasal cavity.
- Allergic conjunctivitis. It is expressed in inflammation of the external eyelid and its swelling.
- Allergic urticaria and atopic dermatitis. Manifested in the form of a rash over the entire surface of the skin and is accompanied by severe itching. Urticaria is especially dangerous because it can lead to angioedema.
- Bronchial asthma and obstructive bronchitis.
- Contact dermatitis. Appears due to an insect bite. The bite area swells up and causes severe itching.
- As an anti-inflammatory means of colds, viral diseases, sore throat, sinusitis, bronchitis.
Since children are well aware of the treatment with Zyrtec drops, pediatricians can prescribe them for the prevention of allergies in the warm season.
When taking Zyrtek, you must carefully observe the exact dosage of the drug. It has its own age limits and is:
- children from 1 to 2 years old should be prescribed 5 drops, diluted with water, 1-2 times a day;
- from 2 to 6 years prescribed 10 drops: 5 in the morning and evening;
- children over 6 years old are prescribed 20 drops per day, possibly as a single dose of the full dose, and dividing it into 2 parts.
The drug is also not prohibited to children from 9 months to 1 year, however, how many drops of Zyrtec to give to the child in this case, only the doctor decides. The condition of the child is constantly monitored by parents and pediatricians. If you experience any side effects of the drug should be immediately canceled and consult a doctor.
In the acute form of allergic rhinitis, Zyrtec is prescribed as nasal drops. To do this, before applying it, it is necessary to completely clean the nasal sinuses with sea water or saline. The duration of the drug is prescribed by the doctor depending on the severity of the allergic reaction and the development of complications.
In the absence of contraindications, Zyrtec is allowed to take once without consulting a doctor.-
Acceptance of drops Zirtek is contraindicated for babies up to 9 months, as well as children with individual intolerance to some components of the drug, which can lead to allergic reactions in the form of a runny nose and rash. It is not recommended to give the drug to children with pathology of the kidneys and liver. Individualized reduced dosage for these diseases can only be prescribed by a qualified technician.
Possible side effects:
- abdominal pain;
- slight dizziness and headache;
- nausea, loose, unstable stools;
- general weakness of the body: lethargy, fatigue, drowsiness.
In case of accidental overdose Zyrtec can lead to serious complications in the work of the child's body. If this happens, immediately call a doctor and give the child 2-3 tablets of white activated carbon.
Overdose causes symptoms such as:
- increased aggression;
- disruption of the liver and kidneys;
- urinary retention.
At observance of necessary doses, any side effects occur extremely rarely and do not manifest themselves fully. However, as soon as you notice any of the above symptoms, taking the drug is required to cancel and consult with your doctor. The doctor will decide on the further admission of Zyrtec drops or offer a more suitable analogue.
Zyrtec drops for children collect both positive and negative feedback from parents. After analyzing the general opinion, we highlight the following benefits of the drug:
- Ease of use. The bottle has a dropper cap, which contributes to a better dosage of the medicine.
- Availability of the drug. Sold in any pharmacy and without a prescription.
- Quick action Within an hour, acute rhinitis and itching.
- Convenient release form. The drops have a colorless shape and, when dissolved in water, give a sweetish aftertaste.
- Effects on allergic reactions. Some mothers note that the redness and rash disappeared within a day after the start of Zyrtek drops.
- The drug perfectly helps in the complex treatment of the treatment of viral diseases.
- high price, you can buy a cheaper equivalent;
- the appearance of side effects;
- isolated cases of treatment failure.
Many parents still tend to favor drops for Zyrtec children. However, to self-medicate, drawing conclusions from individual reviews, is not worth it. To get started, you should consult a doctor.
Zyrtec is an excellent means of a new generation of allergies for children. However, despite all the advantages of the drug, the drops should be given to your child with special care.