Wild rice (Tsitsaniya water, Indian rice) - a cereal native to North America. Since ancient times, it was used in food by the Indians. In the winter, when hunting is difficult, it was the main source of food from these peoples. Titsaniya and ordinary rice - completely different cereals. Currently, this culture has fans on all continents, although it is one of the most expensive whole grain products. The subject of our article is wild rice: the benefits and harm.
Wild rice: the benefits and harm
Wild rice is a champion among the cereals in terms of the protein content necessary for the body, as well as fiber and amino acids. Indian rice is a source of vitamins B and E, phosphorus. This herb contains anthocyanins - these are useful antioxidants, giving the grains a black color. By the way, these are the same substances that give the color a very valuable blueberry.
The following beneficial properties of wild rice for the human body are distinguished:
- hardening of the arteries;
- giving elasticity to vessels;
- cancer prevention;
- increase immunity;
- nutrition of the heart muscle;
- pressure drop;
- strengthening and hair growth;
- blood recovery;
- restoration of the body after childbirth, disease;
- muscle strengthening;
- stimulation of the intestines, cleansing it from toxins and slags.
As a part of this cereal there is no cholesterol, saturated fats. Caloric value of wild rice is 357 Kcal per 100 g.
All the above only confirms that wild rice is very good for human health.
Harm and disadvantages of wild rice
In the course of the research, no toxic properties of wild rice were found. The most significant disadvantage of this product is the high cost. The high labor intensity of the production process is due to a variety of operations that are performed manually: from harvesting to the finished grain. Also, the price is influenced by the rather narrow scope of the cultivation of cereal.
It should be borne in mind that frequent consumption of black rice can lead to constipation. But if you add more fresh vegetables and fruits to your diet, this drawback will be eliminated.
A lot of good words are said about a little-known product, but you still need to learn how to cook it properly.
How to cook wild rice: cooking secrets
In order to obtain open grain, it is necessary to observe all the subtleties of the process of preparing black rice:
- Be sure to wild rice requires soaking. It is best to leave it immersed in cold water for the whole night - let the soaking process be at least 12 hours.
- Before cooking, drain the water. Rice fall asleep in salted boiling water. We use the ratio: for one glass of black rice, take 4 glasses of water.
- Be sure to immediately reduce the fire or set the minimum temperature of the plate. Cook until the grains take all the liquid. By the time it takes 40-60 minutes. Grains increase in size by 3-4 times.
- If it was not possible to soak such a valuable product for the night, then you can use another method of cooking: pour boiling water over black rice and let it stand for an hour under the lid. And then we prepare in a manner known to us.
Wild rice can be used for cooking soups, appetizers, salads, desserts.-
Gourmet Salmon Dish
From a rather rare cereal we will prepare an interesting dish of Italian cuisine.
- wild rice - 200 g;
- smoked salmon - 4 slices, 150 g;
- egg yolks - 4 pcs .;
- olive oil;
- lemon juice;
- white pepper to taste.
- We wash the rice and soak it overnight.
- Put on slow fire cook steamed rice.
- Cook the eggs, as they say in the bag, so that the yolk does not have time to harden.
- Mix a spoonful of yolks in a bowl, adding olive oil and finely chopped parsley.
- All mix and add lemon juice, salt, pepper.
- Cut the slices of salmon into small cubes.
- We mix the boiled rice with pieces of salmon and the prepared mixture of egg yolks.
- Fill the mold with prepared products.
- Put the resulting rice pyramid on a plate.
- We will place small slices of salmon near the rice pyramid, we will rub the grated lemon peel and small parsley leaves, sprinkle with a few drops of lemon juice.
Our original wild rice dish is ready. You can surprise your guests with such a culinary masterpiece.
Wild rice with pumpkin
Prepare small rice cakes.
- wild rice - 200 g;
- pumpkin (slices) - 300 g;
- olive oil;
- salt pepper;
- thyme, marjoram, sage.
- Wash the pumpkin, cut into cubes of 2-3 cm, remove the seeds, peel.
- We cover the baking sheet with parchment for baking.
- We spread the pieces of pumpkin, sprinkled with salt and pepper.
- Baking pumpkin at a temperature of 200 degrees 30 minutes.
- Cook the rice, which was already pre-soaked overnight.
- Take on 200 g of rice 600-700 ml of water.
- Cook over low heat until the grains absorb all the liquid.
- Mix the cooked rice with baked pumpkin.
- If desired, you can add thyme, marjoram.
We have reviewed the recipes, found out the positive and negative sides of the pet gourmet with a taste of sweetness and walnut. It remains to purchase wild rice, cook and enjoy its taste. Good luck in your culinary research and enjoy your meal!