Many people know the situation when a nervous tic is added to the general fatigue. There are several answers to the question of why the lower eyelid is twitching. And in order to get rid of the uncomfortable symptom, it is necessary to correctly diagnose the root cause, as well as to choose the optimal treatment.
Twitches and stops?
It is believed that one of the symptoms of overexertion is a nervous tic of the lower eyelid. But this problem is not accepted to pay much attention: they say, it will pass by itself - you just need to sleep and relax. Meanwhile, there are quite a few reasons for such a widespread phenomenon, and all of them are somehow connected with the human nervous system. That is why running a long-term nervous eye tick can lead to:
- blurred vision;
- destabilization of the emotional state;
- depression, etc.
By itself, twitching of the lower eyelid of the eye is not a disease. This phenomenon is, rather, a warning character: this is how the body reports that your health is at risk. Accordingly, the correction of the "base" cause will solve the problem with a nervous tic.
Why it jerks: a little physiology
A huge number of muscles are concentrated on the face, the weakest of which are the muscles of the lower eyelid. They are subject to involuntary contraction due to nervous disorders. Therefore, absolutely all health problems that in one way or another affect the nervous system, can lead to twitching of the lower eyelid.
This state distracts from everyday affairs and for many it becomes a powerful irritant. And such a reaction further provokes the duration of the tick. That is why, as soon as you notice that the eye begins to twitch, you should immediately look for the cause of this condition.
Eye twitches, lower eyelid: causes
There is a belief in the people, which explains why the lower eyelid of the right eye twitches and why the lower eyelid of the left eye twitches. In the first case, you will be lucky, and in the second - tears. But this is just superstition. Medicine does not distinguish between the causes of a nervous tic for different eyes, for the left and for the right they will be the same.
Doctors distinguish among the most common provoking factors:
- infection. Even after its elimination, some patients observe eye twitching. This is caused by the general exhaustion of the nervous system as a result of the disease;
- inflammation of the mucous membrane of the eye;
- lack of calcium, magnesium and vitamins that affect the health of the nervous system;
- alcohol consumption, smoking. These factors cause a violation of the formation of nerve cells. Therefore, a nervous tic is one of the manifestations of the body’s “protest” against bad habits;
- eye strain. The most common reason, especially considering the current universal fascination with computers and electronic gadgets;
- lack of sleep If the body does not get enough rest, it is stressed. That, in turn, can manifest itself in different ways, including the obsessive movements of the lower eyelid;
- genetic predisposition. As a rule, this factor is manifested in children whose parents had the same problems in their youth. But, fortunately, this reason does not require correction: with age, the problem goes away by itself;
- spiritual turmoil. Experiences associated with conflicts, troubles, cause significant damage to the nervous system;
- allergy or eye injury. All conditions in which there is a feeling that sand has got into the eyes can cause uncontrollable movements of the lower eyelid.
How to get rid of a nervous tic?
If the lower eyelid twitching is an isolated case, then the best way to get rid of this unpleasant feeling is to sleep well. If a tick occurs periodically or for a long time does not pass, then consultation of a specialist is necessary, which will help not only to establish the cause of the "anxiety" of the eyelids, but also prescribe therapy. In any case, to keep tic episodes rare, it is useful:
- adjust your diet (make sure that with food you get all the necessary vitamins and minerals);
- time to rest;
- regularly take a relaxing bath with herbs (chamomile, lemon balm);
- drink medicines with magnesium and calcium;
- to walk outside;
- monitor your emotional state and avoid stress.
Having understood why the lower eyelid is twitching, one can warn oneself against the development of diseases, which, as a rule, arise on the basis of nerves. Of course, the treatment of a nervous tic is prescribed by a specialist, but a number of simple preventive measures can be taken by everyone. It is only important not to miss the moment and be attentive to your body.