It is believed that without air, a person can live only 3 minutes. Almost every inhabitant of the planet was able to partially check this fact, when the nose is not breathing, but there is no snot. Agree, this state will confuse anyone. However, the causes of nasal congestion are not as terrible as we imagine.
Where does sinusitis live?
Everyone who has experienced nasal congestion at least once knows how much the quality of life is decreasing. Breathing from the unconscious and the process developed to automatism turns into hard work, requiring a lot of energy costs.
When the respiratory system is normal, it plays the role of a cleansing barrier. The epithelium covering the nasal cavity is a kind of brush that keeps the body clean and tidy and sweeps the pathogenic bacteria, dust and viruses out. However, it happens that the usual course of events is disturbed, creating breathing problems and changing the work of other organs and systems.
In adults, the reason that the nose is not breathing and there is no snot may be of the following nature:
- The first thing to look out for is a cold. At the very beginning of infection, a runny nose may not appear, but the nasal mucosa will react to the bacilli as it should be - by puffiness.
- Vasomotor sinusitis and allergic reactions are also responsible for shortness of breath. Moreover, allergy can cause absolutely everything: pollen, animal dander, dust, sunlight, food and alcohol.
- In the hot season, the nose stops breathing due to excessive dry air. Usually such a symptom itself passes in the evening, and at night it practically does not manifest itself.
- For pregnant women, shortness of breath is not news at all, especially at the end of the first trimester. Here everything consists in changes in the hormonal background.
- Congenital or acquired injuries of the nose and septum, of course, can prevent the intake of sufficient oxygen.
- Polyps and abnormal adenoids can significantly impair life for everyone. In some cases, they grow, increase in size or swell and make breathing difficult.
Among non-medical problems, it is worth noting the abuse of vasoconstrictor drops and the adverse reaction to some drugs. In this case, you must ask the doctor to replace the drug with another suitable analogue.
With regard to childhood, the causes of nasal congestion are the same as in an adult, but with some additions:
- If there is no snot, and the child’s nose does not breathe, then it is likely that there is a foreign body in the sinus. Try not to allow children to play with small constructors and collapsible toys.
- Newborns in the first few days may also have nasal congestion. The fact is that in the womb the baby is in the liquid and its residue in the sinuses persists for some time after birth.
The complexity of the children's edema of the nasal mucosa is that the child can refuse food and sleep badly at night, because it is much harder for him to breathe through the mouth.
Easy breathing: the components of well-being
No snot, and nose stuffed and not breathing? Doctors recommend not to hesitate with treatment and to prevent the exacerbation of other interconnected organs - ears and throat. To avoid complications, first of all you need to quickly and effectively solve 5 problems:
- eliminate the cause of the symptom;
- relieve inflammation and swelling of the nasal mucosa;
- restore normal air flow in the respiratory tract;
- moisten the nasal sinuses and ensure the flow of mucus;
- strengthen the immune system.
There are several treatment options: take advantage of the classics of the genre - medications or turn to grandma's methods. Traditional medicine offers:
- Nasal drops and sprays. They are prescribed to relieve nasal congestion. But remember that you can use such tools for no longer than 3 days.
- Antihistamines. They are designed to eliminate allergic reactions.
- Ointments and gels - "Doctor Mom", "Star" and ointment "Fleming". On the market also appeared special stickers on the nose.
- In addition to anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve the first symptoms of a cold, lozenges for throats can be absorbed.
- Septo, rino and turboplasty will eliminate congenital defects of the nasal septum and the effects of injuries.
As an additional treatment, if it is not contraindicated by a doctor, you can try traditional methods, such as vasoconstrictor drops, replace with diluted carrot juice or steam your feet in a mustard bowl. Home inhalations with a complex of various herbal preparations also help to relieve nasal congestion.
Try other ways too:
- infusions and teas with honey, raspberry and linden leaves;
- warming bath with essential oils, chamomile and eucalyptus;
- beetroot nose drops with water, diluted 1 to 9;
- gauze foot wrap with kerosene;
- mustard plaster if there is no temperature;
- acupuncture massage of the pillows of the fingers and hands;
- inhalation over potato broth;
- sinus lavage with seawater.
Usually 2-3 such procedures help to normalize breathing and relieve all the symptoms of swelling.
There are several reasons for difficult breathing. But before proceeding to the treatment of nasal congestion, it should be remembered that this phenomenon is not considered a disease, but only its symptom. That is why for proper therapy it is worth contacting an otolaryngologist to determine the cause and the choice of treatment method. Breathe deeply and be healthy!