Very often, the fears of young parents about their newborn babies are groundless. Infants have some physiological manifestations that disappear as the child grows up, and grunting with the nose is a typical example in this sense. At the same time, even a completely harmless sniff can be a sign of a disease. To do this, you need to understand why babies grunts nose.
The reasons why the baby snorts his nose
It often happens that when she returns from the maternity hospital, the mother begins to notice certain manifestations behind her baby that cause her serious concern. For example, when a baby grunts his nose, but there is no snot. There are no other symptoms of colds: cough, redness in the throat, fever. When babies sleep, mothers notice the sniffling sounds that their crumbs make. The reasons for which the baby sniffs loudly, can be of two types - physiological and pathological.
The physiological causes of small children grunting
Usually, newborns grunt for physiological reasons. These manifestations include:
- individual features of the nasal passages. Narrow nasal passages, trachea and bronchi make it difficult for air to pass through, which explains the specific sounds during breathing;
- nasal septum structure. The thin bone and cartilage tissue that connects the fixed bone of the nose to the bones of the skull is called the nasal septum. In the process of inhalation and exhalation, the activity of the nasal septum increases, and the slightest anatomical changes provoke a difficult exit of the air flow and, as a result, sniffing;
- enhanced activity of the mucous membranes of the respiratory system to release mucus. Babies have very delicate mucous membranes, on which there are a lot of blood vessels. Therefore, in contact with an environment that is not yet familiar, a lot of mucus is secreted, which complicates the breathing process;
- crusts in the nose. Due to the excessive formation of mucus in the nose of infants, dry crusts are constantly formed, which prevent the passage of air flow;
- gas retention in the intestines. Infants breathe a special muscle between the abdominal and thoracic cavities - the diaphragm. And since their lungs are not yet well developed, gases, pushing the diaphragm upward, disrupt the inflow and outflow of air.
Prevention of physiological causes of wheezing
As a rule, about 90% of the causes of spouting in babies have physiological grounds and pass by the year. But moms will not be superfluous to know what preventive measures should be taken to make it easier for the baby to breathe:
- Maintain a comfortable level of humidity in the baby’s room. Airing, humidifiers, aquariums, wet rags on radiators will have a beneficial effect on this parameter;
- often do a wet cleaning in the baby’s room, while it is better without chemicals that can cause allergies;
- regularly clean the child's nose from the accumulation of crusts with cotton wicks;
- periodically wash the baby's nose with saline or a weak solution of salt (preferably sea water);
- watch the baby’s chair and avoid swaddling that causes squeezing of the diaphragm.
Pathological reasons a baby sniffs
For some babies, sniffling can be caused by pathological causes:
- an abnormality in the structure of the respiratory tract, caused by prenatal development (sinusitis, absence of bronchial cartilage, formation of vascular rings, absence of lung lobe, etc.);
- swelling of the mucous membrane. It occurs due to careless cleansing of the baby’s nasal passages;
- infection. Reproduction of viruses on mucous membranes is usually accompanied by a runny nose, but at the initial stage there can be no abundant mucus secretion;
- tumors. A blow or any other mechanical damage to the nose can cause swelling inside the nasopharynx and complicate the breathing process;
- hit by a foreign body. Often babies themselves insert foreign objects into their noses, causing inflammation of the mucous membrane and making it difficult to breathe.
Prevention of pathological causes of spit
In order to exclude any pathology, in case there is no snot, and the nose grunts, it is necessary to contact a pediatrician who will send a consultation to an ENT specialist. To avoid some of the problems due to which the baby can sniff hard, you need:-
- carefully carry out all hygiene procedures to clean the nasal passages of the child;
- make sure that the baby does not injure the nose with foreign objects (toys and own fingers);
- protect the child from injury and bruises.
If the baby sniffs, you should not use folk remedies, for example, to bury her nose with herbal solutions, as they can lead to unpredictable consequences and aggravate the problem. Also, do not use drugs that are recommended for older children or adults.
How to deal with the accumulation of mucus in the nose of the baby?
There is always mucus in the nose, which can be "good" and "bad." "Good", transparent in consistency, performs the function of protecting the respiratory organs from the ingestion of microbes and viruses. Harmful bacteria enter the nasopharynx and with the help of mucus are expelled. If there is a lot of mucus in the nose, then from "good" it can turn into "bad." Especially if a person is in a stuffy, unventilated room for a long time. Then the mucous membrane begins to adapt to the harmful bacteria, and the protective function of the mucus weakens. In such cases, a runny nose develops, which can lead to sinusitis or even sinusitis.
For infants, mucus formation is an important process for the formation of a breathing apparatus. The body of the baby adapts to environmental bacteria. Therefore, in the nose is intensive formation of mucus. In terms of quality, it is “good.” However, it is important to clear the nose of the child from the accumulation of mucus in time, since its excess can lead to the development of pathological and infectious processes. For this:
- free the nose of the baby from the crusts of the dried mucus (in the morning and in the evening);
- periodically instill the nose with a solution of sea salt or saline (if the crusts are not removed with a cotton wick moistened with water);
- Watch for humidity and clean air in the room in which the baby lives.
If you follow the above recommendations for the care of a newborn, then the situation when the baby grunts and there is no snot will not cause concern. And yet, in order to rule out more serious problems - infections and tumors, it is advisable to consult with a pediatrician. This will not only calm the parents, but also preserve the health of the baby, if the concerns of the parents do come true.