The number of names of this modest plant in its appearance is selected to the second ten, and here not only popular ideas, but also scientific official names. Centuria, Centaurium best of all indicate its belonging to the ancient works of Hippocrates, frequent references in myths and legends.
This is, of course, about the centaury - a grass of the family of gentian trees, which has long taken root in the middle lane and is often taken as a weed. But do not be deceived - behind a nondescript view lie impressive merit.
Centaury umbrella: general characteristics
The centaury umbrella or Meyer is a perennial plant belonging to the family of the gentian. The etymology of the name dates back to ancient times, and it is assumed that it comes from the addition of the words "gold" and "hundred", which forms the Latin centaurum. However, connoisseurs of mythology decode this word differently - "the grass of centaurs". Is it true that Kronos’s son Chiron, the centaur, was treated for her is unknown, but even if it’s just a beautiful invention, the healing properties of the centaury cannot be taken away.
Being an extremely unpretentious plant, the centaury is able to take root in almost any terrain - from sun-drenched meadows and subtropical forests to northern regions and arid regions. If you decide to grow the centaury independently, you can not worry - any climate and any soil will suit it.
Identifying the centaury is easy - from a common outlet with small basal leaves comes out a few (up to 8-10) branching stems, topped with umbrellas of inflorescences. Petals are often pink, and may also have a white or yellow color. At the end of flowering in their place is formed a fruit-box with curled inside doors. In folk medicine, rhizomes, fruits or leaves are commonly used. Much less - flowers. Fruit and seeds contained therein are not recommended for self-use. The collection takes place at the end of June and throughout July.
Like other representatives of the genus gentian genus, the centaury is characterized by characteristic bitterness in the leaves, stems and rhizome, which is caused by the presence of bitter glycosides preserved during heat treatment. Also present in it are flavonoids, essential oils, alkaloids, chromium salts. Among the substances that make up its chemical composition, it is necessary to distinguish vitamin C, tar, nicotinic and oleic acids, gentianin, erythaurin, erythrocentaurin.
Healing properties of the centaury and its contraindications
The centaury grass is actively used in complex gatherings for the gastrointestinal tract, where the plant acts as an appetite stimulator, due to the presence of bitter glycosides in the composition. But this list of its medicinal properties does not end there: it can act as an antiseptic, and not only by external use, as an antiparasitic agent, but also as a laxative. In addition, the desensitizing effect of the centaury has been scientifically established, which allows it to be used in the fight against alcohol dependence, as well as alcohol intoxication.-
- The general list of the medicinal properties of a plant is as follows: choleretic and hepatoprotective, analgesic and antiseptic, laxative, regenerative and hemostatic.
- Traditional medicine involves the manufacture of decoctions and infusions, juice, oil, mainly focused on ulcers and other lesions of the mucous membranes of the digestive tract, dyspeptic disorders, heartburn, nausea and vomiting. Long-term therapy based on the centaury can be carried out to restore the functionality of the digestive tract and appetite after prolonged serious illnesses and operations. It is noteworthy that a decoction based on this plant can even remove the manifestations of toxicosis during pregnancy.
- As a component of complex therapy, the centaury is used to treat diseases of the cardiovascular system, problems of the kidneys, liver and biliary tract, normalize blood sugar levels, combat anemia.
- The impact of the centaury on the immune and nervous systems is also noted: its help with nervous exhaustion, stress, viral infections and the common cold is considerable.
- It is impossible to ignore the contribution of this plant in gynecology: decoctions based on centaury grass can stop uterine bleeding, which makes it indispensable after abortion. It also reduces the amount of blood released during menstruation and restores lost volume.
- Scientifically proven and a positive effect on the patient's condition with the inclusion of the centaury in therapy against pulmonary tuberculosis, epileptic seizures, poor-quality entities. The use of plants is possible not only internally, but also externally, in the form of compresses and rubbing.
Despite the fact that herbs are a priori safer than most chemical drugs, they cannot be called anything that suits absolutely anyone. Therefore, each plant, including the centaury, has its own contraindications.
- It should not be included in the therapy of the centaury for people with diarrhea of any origin, increased acidity of gastric juice, complicated by irritation or ulceration of the mucous membrane. It is also forbidden to use this plant in the presence of hypersensitivity to its active substances.
Reviews of the thousandth in traditional medicine
About this plant comments on the forums of traditional medicine so much that you can study them for several days. Celebrated his merits in pregnant women, with digestive disorders. But, of course, the real possibilities of the plant in relation to alcohol dependence are most interesting.
- Regina: “With the help of the centaury healed gastritis three years ago, which has recently suddenly worsened and required some solution to the problem. True, the treatment was complex - I was immediately warned that if you only drink this herb, you can wait for a long time. And so with flax and airyom, as well as the revision of nutrition, after a week I felt better, after 4 weeks I completely forgot that my stomach once hurt, even allowing myself indulgence in the form of junk food at a holiday. "
- Yuri: "I never believed in weeds, and no matter how much my wife and mother-in-law offered, they would always have a nose. And I would live like that, but when you are in a long and deep drinking bout, you don’t understand too much about what they give you and why. They began to treat me for severe alcoholism by force, as it turned out - an alcoholic extract of the centaury. They were pulled out of the pit for 2.5 months, so far they don’t look at the wine and vodka products. "
- Irina: “I treated my father for alcoholism - after heavy stress I started drinking as if I was young, it was scary to watch. I made such an infusion - I poured 1 tablespoon of herbs with boiling water (200 ml), I boiled it and insisted for 3 hours. I didn’t believe it, but the truth helped. 4 years have passed, I haven’t taken a drop. "
Despite such positive reviews about the centaury from alcoholism, experts remind that herbs and drugs are not always effective in this problem: if alcohol dependence is caused by psychological problems, it is likely that only the centaury will not eliminate it.