Caring mothers never forget that the throat of children is much more sensitive than that of adults, and can turn red as the season changes. Toddlers are actually more susceptible to inflammation and infections of the larynx and pharynx. When this happens, you should always remember about products that contain soothing and refreshing substances. So, "Tantum Verde" for children.
Tantum Verde to the rescue
"Tantum Verde" - a drug from Italy, which is a topical agent for the treatment of inflammatory processes and infectious diseases of the upper respiratory tract, as well as for the care of oral hygiene. The active ingredient of the drug is benzydamine.
Benzydamine is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory substance that was discovered in 1964 in Italian research laboratories. Drugs based on it are still widely used for therapeutic purposes throughout the world.
The ability of benzydamine to resist inflammation and pain relief, along with possible side effects and contraindications, determines the nature of the preparations made on its basis. However, topical administration of such drugs offers undeniable safety benefits.
When treating inflamed tissues with benzidamine, it accumulates and stabilizes small vessels, which become more resistant to the harmful effects of substances formed during inflammatory processes. At higher concentrations, benzydamine inhibits the synthesis of specific substances of prostaglandins, which are actively involved in the inflammatory response, determining the relative degree and duration of painful stimuli.
Thus, benzydamine is an analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antipyretic substance of both systemic and local action. For this reason, it is the active ingredient in many different pharmaceutical compositions, such as:
- sugar coated tablets;
- gels and creams;
- oropharyngeal sprays;
- vaginal solutions.
Among them is the Tantum Verde, which is available in 3 varieties, such as:
- absorbable tablets;
- solutions for rinsing the throat and mouth;
- sprays of local exposure.
Since absorbable tablets and rinsing solutions are not intended for children under 12 years of age, within the framework of this topic we will consider in detail the information about the preparation "Tantum Verde" in the form of a spray. It is a 0.15% solution for topical treatment of the oral mucosa.
How to treat babies with spray "Tantum Verde"?
In the instructions for "Tantum Verde" 0.15% for children, the drug is described as a solution for the oral mucosa. It is represented by a 30 ml bottle with a spray bottle. The active substance, as already mentioned, is benzydamine hydrochloride, which contains 0.15 g in 100 ml of solution.
Here are the other ingredients that make up Tantum Verde:
- sorbitol liquid crystallization;
- saccharin sodium;
- acesulfame potassium;
- methyl parahydroxybenzoate;
- propyl parahydroxybenzoate;
- peppermint flavoring;
- polysorbate 20;
- purified water.
Indications for use
Spray "Tantum Verde" is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug with an analgesic, that is, a medicine that works against pain and inflammation in the throat, mouth and gums. The spray also has disinfectant properties and moderate anesthetic action.
Tantum Verde in the form of a spray is used as a local remedy for the treatment of such diseases:
It is also possible its use in conservative dental therapy in the treatment of caries or extraction of teeth. Spray as well as possible is suitable for patients who cannot accept rinsings. Especially since the rinse solution is not recommended for ingestion.
Cautions to use and contraindications:
- Hypersensitivity to the active substance or any of the ingredients.
- Prolonged drug treatment sometimes leads to sensitization of the phenomena. In this case, it is necessary to stop the therapy and consult a doctor to correct the treatment.
- If during treatment the symptoms of the disease remain unchanged for more than three days, consultation with your doctor is necessary.
- Benzydamine use is contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity to aspirin and other nonsteroid-type anti-inflammatory drugs.
- "Tantum Verde" in the form of a spray to avoid the phenomenon of bronchospasm should be used with caution in cases where previously experienced asthma attacks.
- The spray contains para-hydroxybenzoates that cause allergic reactions, possibly some time after application.
- Do not use "Tantum Verde" during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- The use of preparations containing ethanol may cause positive doping tests in relation to the limit values of blood alcohol concentration in some sports federations.
- Keep this medicine away from children.
- The drug does not require any special storage conditions.
- Do not use the medicine after the expiration date printed on the package. The shelf life of the spray "Tantum Verde" 0.15% - 4 years.
Side effect of the drug
Like other medicines, Tantum Verde can cause side effects, although not all. So, when using this tool such side effects may occur:
- photosensitivity: infrequently - on average up to 1 case per 100 people;
- allergic reactions: extremely rare - can occur in 1 case per 1000 people;
- burning and dry mouth: very rarely - up to 1 case per 10,000 people;
- laryngism, difficulty breathing;
- angioneurotic sudden swelling of the oropharynx or mucous membrane, which causes difficulty in swallowing or breathing;
- anaphylactic or severe allergic reactions.
If during treatment with Tantum Verde spray any side effects listed above appear, you should stop taking the drug and immediately inform your doctor.
Features of reception and dosage:
- When prescribing to children over 6, but under 12 years of age, four doses are used, that is, 2 to 6 times during the day, spray gun presses.
- "Tantum Verde" for children under 3 years of age is applied at the rate of one dose of the drug for every 4 kilograms of child's weight, but in no case more. That is, a maximum of 4 doses every 1.5-3 hours throughout the day.
Do not exceed the prescribed dose, if it is not prescribed by a doctor. Tantum Verde is used only for short periods of treatment. If after 3 days of treatment there is no improvement, you need to discuss this with your doctor.
In order to properly treat the site of inflammation, you must perform the following steps:
- Lift the medication dispenser to a horizontal position.
- Bring the cannula to your mouth and direct the jet to the inflamed area or in the direction of the throat.
- Press firmly with the finger on the spray button.
For the treatment of "Tantum Verde" throat in children under 1 year old, it is enough to inject the drug into the mouth, for example, behind the cheek, so that a trickle of medication can also be used to infect the tonsils.
Overheard on the forums: what do parents say about Tantum Verde?
In order to finally lay down their opinions and ideas about the effectiveness of the spray "Tantum Verde" for children, we will study the feedback from our readers who have already tried this drug:
- Dasha: “My little daughter is 6 months old. At the beginning of spring, we managed to catch an acute respiratory infection somewhere. The neck was red, the temperature. Our local pediatrician prescribed Tantum Verde. her daughter. Things went right away. "
- Kira: “We have been using Tantum Verde since the age of two. We like it very much, and we are treating it with the whole family. My son’s cough lasts for two or three days. I sprayed myself, almost immediately the throat stops hurting and doesn’t scratch. find a domestic equivalent cheaper. "
- Tanya: "I also use Tantum Verde spray, but only with Miramistin. The red throat is cured in 2 days. Son is 4 years old."
Despite the fact that Tantum Verde is sold without a prescription, we consider it our duty to remind you once again about the inadmissibility of self-treatment, especially for young children. Consultation with a pediatrician will never be superfluous. Health to you and your children!