Acute pain in the lumbar region, paroxysmal, sometimes situational, not having a recurrence, and sometimes rolling waves, but always sharp - the most important sign of renal colic, occurring at the time of obstructive disorders in the urinary tract. How to recognize them and how to deal with them?
Why and how are renal colic manifested?
Renal colic can be caused both by poor urine outflow due to pressure from the renal pelvis and circulatory problems. When this symptom occurs, doctors insist on hospitalization, but is it really scary?
- Most often, renal colic is a symptom of exacerbation of urolithiasis, when calculus clog the mouth of the urinary tract. Moreover, it is still impossible to say which way of development the disease will take, and how soon it is necessary to take measures to cure it.
- In addition to urolithiasis, renal colic can accompany pyelonephritis, an inflammatory process in the kidneys, which already occurs as a result of the same calculus or prostatitis, and can cause infertility.
- In more rare cases, the disease is provoked by embolism, phlebostasis in the veins, thrombosis, some congenital disorders: dyskinesia, megakalioz, achalasia.
It is impossible to exclude the inflection of the ureter, resulting from the omission of the kidney: this often occurs after a rapid weight loss, as well as injuries. And there are a number of pathological conditions that can provoke renal colic: it is tuberculosis, kidney neoplasms, urological diseases. In this case, the symptoms of the problem in an adult man differ from the one that will be observed in a child.
- Most often, renal colic is accompanied by bloody discharge in the urine, severe pain during bowel movements, as well as pain in the lumbar region, which may be echoed in the inguinal region. In this case, the pain occurs suddenly, has a high intensity and concentrates on the right or left side, but almost never - immediately from both.
There may be nausea and vomiting, increased body temperature, increased urge to urinate. All these factors are especially evident after taking a large amount of fluid, exercise, diuretic use: that is, with a high activity of the kidneys. If several symptoms coincide, the patient urgently needs to visit a specialist consultation for further examination.
Diagnosis is carried out by intravenous (excretory) urography, in which the doctor injects a special substance into the arm through a vein and takes pictures on an x-ray. The drug contains a special dye, which makes it possible to assess the condition of the urinary tract by their size, shape and structure. In addition to the fact that this method allows examining the passage of urine, it also monitors the state of the blood flow, possible mechanical or infectious damages.
It is assumed that this method establishes even the rarest causes of renal colic, therefore, if the deterioration of the patient's well-being is provoked by this very problem, its “core” will be found. Computed tomography, ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder, blood test, chromocytoscopy (if internal bleeding is suspected) are often added to urography. But what to do after?-
How to treat kidney colic in men?
Therapies are prescribed by the doctor depending on the factor that provoked the pain: it will be aimed at eliminating the underlying disease, but it may also include drugs that relieve spasm, which leads to pain if the attacks are too frequent and severe. Specialists often give direction to acupuncture, electroacupuncture, physiotherapy (most often vibration, diadynamic therapy is used).
- Without drugs, this condition can facilitate the application of heat to the lower back: doctors advise a heating pad and baths with a temperature not higher than 39 degrees. It is necessary to be in heat for 15-20 minutes. However, with pyelonephritis, this can not be done.
For severe seizures, analgesics may be prescribed, including those administered intramuscularly or intravenously for faster and more pronounced effect (for example, novocaine). Of the oral, No-Shpa, Promedol, Baralgin recommended themselves well, but before taking them, read the instructions. Most of these drugs greatly lower blood pressure, which is unacceptable for hypertension.
- Remember the actions for first aid to a man who had an attack of renal colic (except for cases of pyelonephritis): cover the lower back with a warm heater and / or immerse the man in a warm bath, and give 1/2 tablet of Nitroglycerin under the tongue.
Whatever the treatment prescribed by the doctor, for men with renal colic, a diet is obligatory, during which any sauces and broths, legumes, spicy (horseradish, mustard), salty, offal, smoked food and canned food, especially fish . Also prohibited is cocoa (in any form), strong coffee, pastry; the consumption of berries, jam, figs, some vegetables, almonds, tomatoes, onions, beets is limited. The main components of the menu at the time of treatment: eggs, pumpkin, peas (the only legume product that is allowed), bread, porridge on the water, mushrooms, lean meat, apples, honey, fish, jelly.
Summing up, it is worth emphasizing once again that it is necessary to diagnose the disease and begin treatment as quickly as possible, since the appearance of renal colic indicates a serious disorder that will not disappear on its own. Any delay can lead not only to the need to take drastic measures (surgical intervention), but also to irreparable complications.