If the pain in the stomach recurs, the person begins to wonder: maybe this is gastritis or is it an ulcer? In order not to torment yourself with vain fears and properly cure, it is important to be able to distinguish the symptoms of gastritis and stomach ulcers. The symptoms of these ailments have similarities and differences. What are they and how to identify these dangerous diseases by their external manifestations?
From gastritis to ulcers: how not to start the disease?
Ulcer and gastritis are diseases that are very similar in their external manifestations, so even doctors without a thorough diagnosis are difficult to diagnose. It is believed that gastritis is a less dangerous pathology. So it is, but it does not mean that you can give up on her hand, because gastritis tends to go into an ulcer. In addition, both diseases can end with cancer.
An ulcer, in simple terms, is a wound on the surface of the stomach. If left untreated, a fatal condition may occur - a perforation of the stomach, that is, a hole will appear at the site of the ulcer, and the contents of the stomach together with the gastric juice will be in the peritoneal cavity, which will cause inflammation. Gastritis is a precursor of an ulcer, therefore it also requires immediate treatment. That is why it is so important to timely detect and differentiate these diseases.
How to find out that you have gastritis?
This can be done by the characteristic symptoms of the disease. The main complaints of the patient who developed gastritis are:
- recurrent nausea, they can end with vomiting;
- pain cramping character, which is localized in the central part of the abdomen under the chest;
- disturbed stools (often marked with spastic constipation);
- decreased appetite;
- dry mouth, constant desire to drink.
In gastritis, there may be increased and decreased acidity - these states give different symptoms. If the acidity is increased, then there are such problems with well-being:
- persistent and frequent vomiting;
- nagging pain under the spoon;
- sour belching;
- heartburn, feeling of distention in the stomach.
But how is gastritis manifested with insufficient acidity:
- loss of appetite;
- bad taste in the mouth;
- in the morning the patient is worried about belching and nausea;
- rumbling belly;
- loose stools or difficulty stool.
Important: with gastritis symptoms appear several hours after eating.
If the disease is started and turned into a severe form, then, in addition to specific signs of gastric lesions, there are common manifestations of the disease: cardiac arrhythmia, low blood pressure, increased salivation, irritability and insomnia. In a chronic course, the patient feels tired all the time, is in constant depression, suffers from debilitating epigastric pain.
The situation is complicated: how does an ulcer behave?
It should be noted that the first signs of gastritis and gastric ulcers differ little - as are the causes of these diseases. In the early stages of an ulcer makes itself felt such manifestations:
- frequent nausea. It appears on both empty and full stomachs, especially in the morning hours;
- the body reacts to food by the occurrence of the urge to vomit and abundant vomiting;
- appetite is gradually lost, due to increased pain after eating food. As a result, weight is reduced.
But such symptoms can also be observed in cases of thyroid disease, so without consulting a doctor it will be difficult to find the source of health problems.
As the ulcer progresses, its symptoms become more pronounced. Changing the nature and intensity of pain. They allow to suspect ulcerative lesions. If you look for the answer to the question, what are the symptoms of gastric ulcer and gastritis, then you should pay special attention to when there is pain and what it depends on. Ulcer pain has such distinctive features:-
- although the epicenter of pain is in the epigastric region, it is felt in other places: it gives to the lower back, under the left scapula, to the pectoral region;
- hunger increases pain. Therefore, at night or 3-4 hours after eating, this symptom appears. After saturation of the stomach with food the pain passes;
- late pain It develops a couple of hours after eating;
- if there are significant ulcerations of the stomach, then early pains develop, which begin to alarm the patient after 1-1.5 hours after he rose from the table. It lasts about two hours, then the pain subsides.
Other characteristic symptoms of an ulcer
There are several other signs that indicate the formation of an ulcer, namely:
- belching. It happens after eating, but it may occur on an empty stomach;
- heaviness in the stomach;
- vomiting. After it, there is a significant improvement in the patient's state of health, so many ulcers specifically provoke her to relieve her condition.
The ulcer may be asymptomatic. This most often happens in older people and alcohol abusers.
Feel the difference: how can the symptoms distinguish one disease from another?
So, how to correctly evaluate the symptoms of gastritis and stomach ulcers? Symptoms common to both ailments:
- constant heartburn;
Distinctive manifestations of peptic ulcer and gastritis:
- exacerbation of an ulcer is seasonal, with gastritis it depends on the diet;
- pain in gastritis develops long after eating. If it came to an ulcer, then it appears after an hour and a half and is accompanied by nausea. Night pains are characteristic of the last disease, and gastritis worries during the day.
But no one can determine with 100 percent accuracy where the ulcer is, and where its "younger brother" is gastritis, solely by its symptoms. To make a diagnosis, one should make FGDs and pass the analysis for Helicobacter pylori.
Rules for the treatment of gastric pathologies
It is safe to say that gastritis is a future ulcer. Therefore, if you have noticed the symptoms inherent in gastritis and gastric ulcer, how to treat it is a question that is relevant anyway.
Treatment must be carried out comprehensively. In addition to drug therapy, an important role is given to the normalization of nutrition (it should be gentle and regular), strengthen the nervous system and eliminate mucosal edema. The patient is shown bed rest. Mandatory rejection of addictions. It is necessary to take a selective approach to medication.
Antibiotics (Omeprazole, Tyndazole), acidity-reducing drugs (Almagel, Phosphalugel, Rabeprazole) are used to treat gastritis, and enzymes (Mezim, Digestal, Pancreatin) are prescribed to normalize the stomach.
For a long time, the ulcer was treated only by surgery. Today, more often resort to conservative measures. If an ulcer is detected, histamine blockers are prescribed - Gastrosed, Topsid, Kvamatel, Omitoks; the means destroying Helicobacter pylori - De-Nol; for the neutralization of gastric juice - Antacid; to improve motility - Trimedat; drugs that destroy bacteria that cause inflammation - Azitroks, Azitsid, Azitral.
Of the folk remedies the most popular is the use of raw eggs on an empty stomach, potato juice, honey solution, thyme tincture, propolis tincture.
Doctors found that half of the adult population suffers from gastritis. Up to 5-10% of patients have a stomach ulcer. How many of them will recover? It largely depends on whether patients can notice the alarming symptoms in time. So listen to your body and live without disease!